[Archive] Black Orc Quick Question

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi everyone.

Forgive my stupidity here, as I don’t have the RH PDF infront of me, but I’m wondering about our choices on Black Orcs for our CD armies.

I do have the O&G book here and i’m looking at the BO selections -

There’s a Black Orc, Black Ork Boss, Black Orc Big Boss, and a Black Orc Warboss. Do we get to choose any one of these, mening a group of Black Orcs lead by either a Boss, Big Boss or Warboss?

Also, are we allowed to add Grimgor Ironhide to the unit?

All I can remeber from the PDF is that BO’s are 0-1 for the unit choice.

The reason why I’m asking this is to consider a set of BO’s for my army once my BFSP CD’s are converted over.

ThanX - Tarrakk.

Alan the evil:

We can only have a unit of BO with shields and command group as it wrote on O&G armybook.

No hero.

No magic banner.

No grimgor.

Sorry…

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Dang! Well, there goes my attempt to dominate my buddie’s Wood Elves with Black Orcs!:frowning:

So they’d just be the basic BO list, as in 1 BO Boss and 4+ regulars. Musician, Standard Bearer, and Boss. No Magic Banner. ~ Basic.

However, they can have a unit size of 5+ and come in a box of 10. So if I buy 10 boxes of 10, i could have a unit of 100 BO’s.

I can see some Wood Elves going down! LOL!

Swissdictator:

They still use the rules of the Black Orcs from the O&G book, so they’re still pretty sweet.

0-1 is part of the list if I remember correctly.

Thommy H:

So if I buy 10 boxes of 10, i could have a unit of 100 BO's.
Yeah, but they'd all have to be in one unit. Good luck fitting it in your deployment zone...

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Looks like I’ll have to extend my side of the table then! :smiley:

BilboBaggins:

Wouldn’t be too hard 10x10 should fit in the zone. 20x5 running in front of Chaos Dwarfs with banner of slavery would really be funny.

Swissdictator:

That large a unit would be a points sink. :frowning: I’d advise against it.

Thommy H:

Yeah. Firstly, most armies (and especially Wood Elves) can simply avoid a massive unit like that at will. They’ll never see combat. And when they do, you’ll only be able to bring five or six guys into combat anyway, the maximum rank bonus is +3 and you only get +1 for outnumbering no matter how absurd the odds… In other words, 100 Black Orcs is no better than 20 Black Orcs for most practical purposes, except it takes up a huge portion of your army, is impossible to use effectively and, when it breaks (which it’s no less likely to than 20 Blorcs…), you lose a lot more victory points.

orcs of fire:

i’m afraid i agree with tommy, although it would look cool and scare your opponant silly:):slight_smile:

also - wouldn’t 100 blorcs without shields cost 1300 pts!?!? that is an extreme points sink.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I was just joking about the 100 Blorcs. That wouldn’t be a good army anyway, unless there was some way that they could be broken up into 10 smaller units. But for a Cd choice with a 0-1…not gonna happen!

BUT…I could take a unit of Blorcs and 1 unit of Ogres in a more rounded out army. At least it would be more ballanced.

Thommy H:

Have you considered…you know…just playing Orcs and Goblins? :stuck_out_tongue:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Too easy! LOL!

I can’t see myself parting with $450 in cash for 10 boxes of BO.

Maybe if i sprayed them with Laquer paint, I could dream of Xanadu!

BilboBaggins:

Come on 1 long line of Black Orcs.

My calculations have it at over 8 feet (I usually play on 4X6 tables.)

6 foot table would be 73 models wide. Just run them straight forward with the supporting troops behind.

Go 60 wide and you should be able to put some troops for flanking on either side.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Oh yeah…and destroying all the trees along the way as they encircle the wood elves like the horns of the buffallo.

I wonder if I could throw in Grimgor and just not tell my friend that he isn’t allowed. Sure love to see what Orion would do when faced with 7 attacks from this big, hulking brute of an Orc carrying a magical weapon.

BilboBaggins:

You could just ask his permission to put him in. Might as well as do Astragoth from Word of Hashut too.

Thommy H:

One big line would get no rank bonus - an enemy unit of 20 models would crush them with static combat resolution alone.

BilboBaggins:

So you start combat -1 in combat res. He may have 3 ranks to your 1 but you will outnumber. It would be funny and Leadership 10 general would definitely be within 12 inches.

Henroth:

Also, are we allowed to add Grimgor Ironhide to the unit?

Tarrakk Blackhand
Never ever a Chaos Dwarf to let the command of one army to a black orc slave. Well, that I think.

Thommy H:

So you start combat -1 in combat res. He may have 3 ranks to your 1 but you will outnumber. It would be funny and Leadership 10 general would definitely be within 12 inches.

BilboBaggins
You'd be at -2 actually (+3 for his ranks vs. +1 for your outnumbering). Also note that you'd only be able to bring as many Black Orcs into combat as he has guys in his front rank (plus two for corners, depending on how the units are aligned), so there's no inherent advantage to having 100 models there. So, you'd have to kill at least two more guys than him to even the score - that's a pretty big risk to take with a unit of that size: if you lose, there's a fair chance most of your army is going to run away. And, all an opponent has to do is have a small unit somewhere behind your massive unit, and when they run, they're bound to hit it and be automatically destroyed.

What are the chances that the opposing unit will win against a tough combat unit like Black Orcs though, you might ask? Well, remember that you can't exactly pick and chose where such an unwieldy unit will fight - your opponent can easily move his best unit into combat against them. Chances are there'll be a Hero in there too (who doesn't have to even come close to any Hero you might have with the Black Orcs).

Also, the unit would be so vast that every missile unit in the opposing army could probably see it, meaning you'd have to survive a constant barrage of fire and magic throughout the game.

Units of that size warp the game completely, in other words. The rules are really designed with regiments of about twenty guys in mind. If you want bigger units, play Warmaster!