[Archive] Blackshard shields?

Grimstonefire:

Not from a rules point of view, but fluffwise and visually do you think this is something that would be interesting?

I’m coming up with a test paint scheme for my infernal guard and I’ve pretty much decided to paint all the flat metal areas as something a bit more striking.

It’s going to be very colourful though, and I’m wondering whether a shield would be suitable to paint this way as well or whether it will just be too distracting?

My previous paint scheme I’ve decided does not look chaotic enough, just like unusually armoured regular Dwarfs.

Abecedar:

Do you think something like the effect of deisel oil on water or a fluorescent effect would be what you’re after?

Skink:

By my previous experience I reckon that a too colourful shield would distract the viewer from the rest of the mini (usually the face is the focal point).

Grimstonefire:

This shield is a good example, as it’s pretty much what I plan to do

Thorne:

Oil washes and matt varnish will be your freind. I’ve started experimenting with these and a cheep set of oil paints some white spirit and some natural bristle cheap brushes you can work wonders.

Grimstonefire:

Rather than put them in my blog just yet (I’ll put pics in when the models are complete), my WIP design so you can see whether a shield done in the style above would be too much.

Note also the pics of my old colour scheme (on the left), which I felt was just not chaotic enough.

RiTides:

I think the flame effect on the back of the two models on the right is a Huge improvement :slight_smile:

Gunnerson:

I think the flame effect on the back of the two models on the right is a Huge improvement :)

RiTides
+1

Fuggit Khan:

Looking really nice! Good choice on your newer color scheme with the darker metal colors, much more ‘chaotic’ as you said. I like strong contrasts in color schemes, and you’ve nailed it with the newer guys on the right :hat off

Yodrin:

I think the flame effect on the back of the two models on the right is a Huge improvement :)

RiTides
+1

Gunnerson
+1

Grimstonefire:

Cheers all.

I’ve repainted the old ones, I’m up to about 8 painted so far.  Just a few more to go… :~

I’m making progress on the missing arms and head as well, I hope to be able to complete these guys within 2 weeks.

The shields I’m thinking I’ll go for grey around the edge and red/orange only around the details.  Rather than doing it exactly the same as the rest of the armour.  I think over such a large flat area it would be too distracting to be orange edge.

If anyone is curious, the colours used (no blending) all old GW names

Red gore

Blazing orange

snakebite leather

sunburst yellow