[Archive] Blood Bowl game now up!

dedwrekka:

I’ve just spent the last day and a half playing the blood bowl computer game. I’m addicted now, even though I sometimes want to kill the programmers (skaven are ridiculous).

But anyways, the downloadable version of Cyanide Studio’s Blood Bowl game is now up!

Xander:

Is it on Xbox Live yet?

dedwrekka:

Dunno yet, all I’ve got is the computer version.

Kera foehunter:

Do you have a link for the blood bowl game

Khan!:

Arg, not released for xbox yet - i am dying a little on the inside each day in anticipation.

Is the turn-based version just running the same rules as the boardgame? I’m pretty sure skaven are a bit OTT at the best of times in blood bowl.

two_heads_talking:

it’s only available for the computer for download right now…

and yes the turn based system is just exactly like the boardgame

cornixt:

Ah crap, by the time it comes out my PCs barely make the minimum specs for it. Unless I come into a lot of money I won’t be able to play it for a while.

dedwrekka:

Kera foehunter
http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840

Loki:

Had a look at this at gamesday 08 and it looked sweet but wiht my pc being way to old i will have to wait for it to come out on XBOX along with space marine :slight_smile:

TLTG:

It works pretty well on my crummy laptop and that thing is a relic. I just installed updates for all my drivers and turned the settings down. Voila.

At current there are a couple things missing that I assume they will be (slowly) patching in to the game. Some examples of which include single player mode (which is totally awesome, if you like playing against dwarves, skaven, and humans in every event because the other four don’t yet show up) and some rosters/skills (Goblins can’t hire a Bombadier yet, but they can hire chainsaw guys or pogoers or ball and chain dudes)

I haven’t yet had a chance to try “real time” mode, but if it’s anything like I’ve had it described to me it’ll be pretty awesome. I’m getting my game on solo-mode for a few more days while I rip up the place with a chaos team (at current it’s a minotaur with block and multi block, three chaos warriors with block, dodge, and mighty blow, one with just block and mighty blow, and 9 beastmen with a mixture of block, dodge, mighty blow, and tackle… oh yeah, and six rerolls, cha ching!)

Some notes for those of you who don’t have a lot of blood bowl experience and think skaven are overpowered:

Make them dodge. Their beatdown element is horrible, and the CPU especially will try to take advantage of gutter runners far more often than storm vermin. If you can make the gutter runners dodge 3-5 times to get to your backfield, you’re causing a turnover most of the time. If they want to defend him, they’re doing another 3-5 dodges. If you have someone with tackle or diving tackle in the backfield they have to run past, they pretty much autolose. Skaven are flimsy and can’t build a good cage, so their only shot against a team with experience is to run through you. These skills and a good setup don’t really let them, and you can just wear them down and stall the game until they kick it to you.

The bigger concern for me are the dwarf teams. Dwarves have always seemed a little overpowered to me, given you can’t ever seem to get rid of them and they all come with block and tackle. Gross. However, they also don’t gain star player points very rapidly, and inability to score quick touchdowns means you can run up the score and just stall them out by spending your turn backing up a square away from their cage.

One last interesting note about the game is that the AI changes dramatically depending on which location you’re playing. In the clean cup, for example, the teams are designed to be running and passing teams with very little focus on beatdown, and they almost never foul. In the Orc Toof League though, even the human team is loaded with blockers, linemen with guard, an ogre, and random catchers who roll doubles and have Mighty Blow.

cornixt:

The turn based game is what interests me the most, so maybe I’ll get it and see if it works for that, saving thr real-time game for the future.

dedwrekka:

It works pretty well on my crummy laptop and that thing is a relic.  I just installed updates for all my drivers and turned the settings down.  Voila.

At current there are a couple things missing that I assume they will be (slowly) patching in to the game.  Some examples of which include single player mode (which is totally awesome, if you like playing against dwarves, skaven, and humans in every event because the other four don't yet show up) and some rosters/skills (Goblins can't hire a Bombadier yet, but they can hire chainsaw guys or pogoers or ball and chain dudes)

I haven't yet had a chance to try "real time" mode, but if it's anything like I've had it described to me it'll be pretty awesome.  I'm getting my game on solo-mode for a few more days while I rip up the place with a chaos team (at current it's a minotaur with block and multi block, three chaos warriors with block, dodge, and mighty blow, one with just block and mighty blow, and 9 beastmen with a mixture of block, dodge, mighty blow, and tackle...  oh yeah, and six rerolls, cha ching!)

Some notes for those of you who don't have a lot of blood bowl experience and think skaven are overpowered:

Make them dodge.  Their beatdown element is horrible, and the CPU especially will try to take advantage of gutter runners far more often than storm vermin.  If you can make the gutter runners dodge 3-5 times to get to your backfield, you're causing a turnover most of the time.  If they want to defend him, they're doing another 3-5 dodges.  If you have someone with tackle or diving tackle in the backfield they have to run past, they pretty much autolose.  Skaven are flimsy and can't build a good cage, so their only shot against a team with experience is to run through you.  These skills and a good setup don't really let them, and you can just wear them down and stall the game until they kick it to you.

The bigger concern for me are the dwarf teams.  Dwarves have always seemed a little overpowered to me, given you can't ever seem to get rid of them and they all come with block and tackle.  Gross.  However, they also don't gain star player points very rapidly, and inability to score quick touchdowns means you can run up the score and just stall them out by spending your turn backing up a square away from their cage.

One last interesting note about the game is that the AI changes dramatically depending on which location you're playing.  In the clean cup, for example, the teams are designed to be running and passing teams with very little focus on beatdown, and they almost never foul.  In the Orc Toof League though, even the human team is loaded with blockers, linemen with guard, an ogre, and random catchers who roll doubles and have Mighty Blow.

TLTG
I've played as Skaven a couple times once I figured out the AI's general strategy by playing against them with my Orc team.

As much as Tackle is a pain to get around, it's hard to get enough people on your team with it to make a real difference to a determined skaven player. I run the games basic "Zulu" set up, and if I see an opponent with tackle on the enemy flank, I can usually take him out by ganging up on him (Two night runners diagonally from him and a lineman blitzing him). With a Skaven's incredible movement you can get out of the reach of a lot of opponents (especially dwarfs), and you only need to be a few squares from the line of scrimmage to get into or just on the end zone. Combine all that with a Gutter Runner with Two heads and side-step and I've never had to worry too much about the AI getting at me. Of course, if I play multiplayer, I'll have to worry (because any player would see it coming before the first kick).

One of the surprising things I find though is that even with most of my team tied up against opponents, I can consistently mob the opposing ball carrier and slip away from tackle zones.

TLTG:

Oh no doubt. It’s a 3+ roll most of the time, and if you’re talking gutter runners it’s a 2+ re-rollable.

There are a couple rules that need to get fixed. I noticed that players with Dodge get to use their reroll every attempt, rather than just the first time they screw up, so Dodge is currently much better than it should be.

Once I lead my chaos team as far as they’ll go, I plan on starting over again on hard difficulty and doing the same with goblins. I’m pretty convinced that goblins are actually a way better team than anybody gives them credit for. I was thinking about writing a goblins tactica since I’ve never seen one that’s any good whatsoever.

two_heads_talking:

I’ve played goblins for years… best team in my opinion… just don’t let people foul or gang up on you… goblins don’t usually survive.

Groznit Goregut:

I’d love to see a goblin tactica for Blood Bowl.

So…when you play the AI in single player mode, you can only play against humans, dwarfs, and skaven? I’ve got the game, but I’ve only had a chance to play 2 games against the AI. I’m sure hoping you can play all teams!

I’ve done a few games with my orcs and had a blast with them. So far, I haven’t had anyone score against me. :slight_smile:

It’s an awesome game and I want to play more!

TLTG:

At this time only those three teams play against you in campaign mode. I haven’t messed about with the other modes yet, I’m under the impression the other teams can be set up as opponents but they will probably play poorly since they’ll be using the AI of other teams.

I think I will write up some goblin tactica this week. I’m on vacation from work starting tomorrow afternoon so I’ll probably sit in front of the ole lappy and write something up while drinking mimosas and watching the traffic go by. :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

Kera foehunter
http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840

dedwrekka
thanks so much Dedwrekka

Groznit Goregut:

I lost my first game last night to Skaven. Still, I’ve only lost 1 of 4.

Hmmmm…only those teams. I gave two of my orc blizters Tackle, but I am not sure how much use I am going to get out of it with only the Skaven being good runners.

I wish I could hit their BB forums from work. I need to research the best skills to get for my orc team.

TLTG:

On an orc team I would pretty much get Block first on every player unless it’s a goblin or you roll doubles. Following that, you need to start picking roles for each player.

This can be as broad or as specific as you like. I like having, for example, a black orc with frenzy so I can line him up on the outside and use him to push people in to the crowd. With S4, you don’t have to worry about accidentally frenzying in to unfavorable blocks.

Blitzers are your best line holders if you’re trying to hold a line rather than plug gaps, so I like giving them skills like Guard or Wrestle.

Eventually someone will roll doubles or an Agility increase. Try to get them useful skills like dodge, or, if they’re a black orc, break tackle.

Tackle and Diving Tackle are both incredibly good. I like having both of these skills in many places.

You should also have a cage buster. Someone will build a cage (probably dwarves) to try to keep the ball protected. Someone to run in and bust it is critical in a late season. Strip Ball is an obvious choice for this role, but sometimes a guy with Guard on the other side is just as good.

Xander:

So I can learn to play real blood bowl with this game? Hot diggity!