[Archive] Blunderbuss rule question!

tjub:

I know this might be wrong the section, but I need a quick answere… :slight_smile:

When a blunderbuss units makes a stand and shoot, when do they shoot?

When the first of the enemy models are within 12", or when maximum models of the enemy unit is within 12"?

Thommy H:

When the first of them are within 12".

Piccolo:

I think the measuring and shooting is done before the enemy unit is moved so if they charge from more than 12" away you wouldn’t be able to shoot at them at all. Not too sure about that though.

Thommy H:

The FAQ explains all the rules for standing and shooting with blunderbusses.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Isn’t it Kool that all answers are just a link away?

I’m happy to be on such an easy access site!

Swissdictator:

The momeny any are in range. If they’re coming head on… apply directly to THEIR forehead… as you should get most of the first rank.

If they’re coming in at an angle, you’ll probably only get one guy. Which is why I try to position my Blunderbuss so I’ll at least blast some other units when the chargers come in.

Ubertechie:

The momeny *any* are in range. If they're coming head on... apply directly to THEIR forehead.... as you should get most of the first rank.

If they're coming in at an angle, you'll probably only get one guy. Which is why I try to position my Blunderbuss so I'll at least blast some other units when the chargers come in.

Swissdictator
Swiss - shock horror I am going to have to disagree with you as the stand and shoot rules in the current edition specify you shoot as soon as all troops in the unit are within range so with blunderbusses as soon as the entire fire zone is covered you shoot - if it would never be - then you shoot when the maximum number are in

Swissdictator:

Ubertechie: Mind if you give me a page number? That way I can point it out if needed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm… you’ll just have to buy me some flowers or chocolate Ubertechie… this is really distressing :stuck_out_tongue:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Shoot when you see the whites of their eyes!

I can’t wait to finish my BB’s and unleash them on the Tomb Kings and Wood Elves.

Must they ALWAYS stand and shoot, or can they open fire on anyone, charging or not?

Ubertechie:

Swiss sadly I don’t have rule book with me at the moment but it’s in the charge reactions section

I have a spare 3rd edition cd I can send you to make up unless you prefer chocs or flowers

Willmark:

Take it to Brokeback Mountain you two.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Don’t you mean “Crookback Moutain”? :smiley:

Must they ALWAYS stand and shoot, or can they open fire on anyone, charging or not?

wallacer:

No, they can’t open fire on anyone. They are still not allowed to shoot their own guys if some of them happen to be in the firing path.

I’ve always played it that the blunderbusses open fire as soon as the the first model from the charging unit is in range (in other words you only hit the front rank of the charging unit).

I’ll have a read of the rulebook when I get home and see what it says.

BilboBaggins:

I still think they should be able to shoot hobgobs that get in the way.

Swissdictator:

BilboBaggins
I would really like that if we are redone, but I won't complain or even blink if we don't get that. I think it'd be really cool and add to our flavor to be honest. I would happily do so and laugh when doing that... as it's so fitting for the spiteful little balls of hate. :hat

Tarrakk Blackhand:

AWESOME! I can’t wait to challenge someone with my CD’s!

Ubertechie:

No, they can't open fire on anyone. They are still not allowed to shoot their own guys if some of them happen to be in the firing path.

I've always played it that the blunderbusses open fire as soon as the the first model from the charging unit is in range (in other words you only hit the front rank of the charging unit).
I'll have a read of the rulebook when I get home and see what it says.

wallacer
This is an interesting one as the current ruleset states that you fire as soon as all troops capable of shooting are in range. So if at the start of the charge the maximum number of models (width) wise are within the zone you fire immediately- if not you fire as soon as the maximum number are . This should actually work to our advantage in the majority of situations.

I haven't checked but i think previous edition stated you shot as soon as the target was in range without the stipulation that it had to be all models - hence the discrepancy.

furrie:

a unit will fire as soon as the enemy unit is within shooting range of all the fireing models., so most of the time you will only hit the first rank. (page 18 of the rulebook)

grupax:

BilboBaggins
so you'd travel miles and miles on short stumpy leggs, for miles and miles, and then shoot them :p most be verry demoralising for those guys that went on the trip to collect them:cheers

Ubertechie:

a unit will fire as soon as the enemy unit is within shooting range of all the fireing models., so most of the time you will only hit the first rank. (page 18 of the rulebook)

furrie
Furrie
This is true however the issue is around when a unit charges BB troops that does so from an angle rather than straight on