[Archive] Blunderbuss Unit Decision

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi guys and girls!

Almost have a second 16 man unit of BB’s ready to go (All greenstuff and Tall Hat ready) but I am still trying to decide on making the command crew (Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer) or just leaving them all as BB carrying core without a command crew so that they can join up with my original 10 BB conversions from Skull Pass.

What would be the + & - of leaving out a command crew for this unit?

Thommy H:

Well, a command group is only really relevant if you expect the unit to see combat. The Champion has +1 A and the Musician is almost worthless in a unit with such high Ld unless you plan to get them into a fight (the bonus to rallying just isn’t going to get used because they hardly ever run away).

Personally, I think the strength of the Blunderbusses is their ability to adopt a deep combat formation and still fire at maximum efficiency - indeed, Blunderbuss units get better with multiple ranks, so they can be used as a defensive unit in a pinch. For this reason, I give them command. Also, because I value aesthetics over effectiveness, I think all units should have full command really.

Also, one thing to remember is that they still keep their Blunderbusses even if you upgrade them to command models. So it’s just whether you think it’s worth the points or not - you don’t lose anything else.

cornixt:

Also, because I value aesthetics over effectiveness, I think all units should have full command really.

Thommy H
For an ordered military unit like CDs, I agree. They just look better, and the better a unit looks, the better it does on rolling dice :cheers

mattbird:

on units of 15+, I always take standard and muso. Never champions, though they can be useful…

Thommy H:

For an ordered military unit like CDs, I agree. They just look better, and the better a unit looks, the better it does on rolling dice :cheers

cornixt
Yes, I believe it's common knowledge that a fully-painted unit with upgrades appropriate to the background tends to roll more sixes (except in Leadership tests, obviously). In fact, I think there was something on Warseer about units that contain clever and well done conversions skewing the results of dice rolls about 10% in favour of the owning player.

True story.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, if that’s the case, then I’d better pay Tjub for some models! :smiley:

ThanX for the tips guys! I also like the “Look” of the army units too.

Bazil:

Considering you can purchase another warrior for the 10 pts of a Champion you they arent really worth it in my books. Standard and Musician are always esential if you want to survive combat, but this is coming from an Undead player where everything comes down to Combat Rez

Neil:

I never take command models in my blunderbuss units, since I discoverd that be removing the command from my two units I could save enough points (132) to take a unit of Sneaky Gits or Orcs. In my view the return you get does not justify the points expenditure.

Yes, I believe it’s common knowledge that a fully-painted unit with upgrades appropriate to the background tends to roll more sixes (except in Leadership tests, obviously

Thommy H
Except in the very first game that you use them. It is always the case that having spent the previous week slaving over them in a desparate attempt to get them finished on time, your newly painted unit, will die very quickly having achieved absolutely nothing.

Scion:

That always happens to me, every time!! Mianly because my friends hunt them down.

cornixt:

Twp command groups don’t come anywhere near 132 points, they would be 60 points in total max.

Thommy H:

Plus 72 points for six basic Warriors with blunderbusses. But then we’re not talking about removing the models altogether, just fielding a (full) unit minus command group - so 60 points is what’s at stake, not 132.

Neil:

so 60 points is what's at stake, not 132.

Thommy H
Sorry, I don't have the extra blunderbuss models to make up the unit. Should have made that clear I suppose. But dropping 6 guys to save that many points and take a good size unit is still worth it in my book.

Maul:

I compromised and usually take musicians in my two blunderbuss units, nothing more. My blunderbuss units often see combat and I go back and fourth on whether or not I should add a standard. It hurts to occasionally lose a blunderbuss unit, but it hurts 100 points more to lose them with a standard.

cornixt:

I’ll often have a sorcerer in a blunderbuss unit, so having a champion means he doesn’t get forced into combat with scary characters for at least one turn. The musician is expensive for what it does, but at the moment I don’t have an alternative model to fit into the unit anyway. I like the models I have converted for the command group too much to drop them anyway.