[Archive] Blunderbusses?(1)

Cat Fashions:

So I’m right about to win an auction for some BFSP dwarves for conversions and the lot comes with about 30 handgunners. I’ve always been sitting on the fence about them, but are blunderbusses worth it? I know they’re pretty pricy, but the ability to vomit a potential 90 shots with rerolls to wound is pretty impressive.

Cat Fashions:

So I’m right about to win an auction for some BFSP dwarves for conversions and the lot comes with about 30 handgunners. I’ve always been sitting on the fence about them, but are blunderbusses worth it? I know they’re pretty pricy, but the ability to vomit a potential 90 shots with rerolls to wound is pretty impressive.

Loki:

I personally think they are great not only are they one of the chaos dwarfs iconic weapons but as you say they can bring the pain, they are certainly pricy but will make a mess of light armoured troops , i am certainly having 15 in my army :stuck_out_tongue:

javi:

They are very pricey indeed, but my only ecperience with 27 of them was that they basically destroyed a whole unit of Khorne WoC with Halberds, causing 12 casualties on first long range shooting (I rolled a 3) and another 7 next turn after they failed a 12’ charge (I rolled a 2). Only Mus+St were left in the unit and it was his central unit, so that basically won me the game. I am quite certain I will be using them, eventhough the list Im playing now does not contain any BB.

REgards

Javi.

Method:

I only use Blunderbusses.

A unit of 30 will fight was well as any other block we have, and you can bunker you’re characters in it.

I believe that the twin block set up is generally weaker which, of course; is against internet wisdom.

But, i haven’t lost that bunker yet, as players are less inclined to do it (even the GT winners in my club don’t enjoy charging in especially after our warmacines reap heavy casulties on the enemy’s main hitty units.) because the blunderbusses sinster rep.

In fact, that reputation keeps them out of combat (where most people will go ahead and charge a typical block of infernal guard) Considering people realize they will be deployed in the far back and will have to kill the entire unit to get any points.

It’s really up to how you use them.

Groznit Goregut:

So, if you don’t like the two blocks, what do you use?

metro_gnome:

a unit of 33 BBs with command will give you min core…

and with the 2 character it’s a 35 man block…

so maybe he is just using one 1200 point block?

Groznit Goregut:

What is the minimum size unit for Blunderbuss? I don’t mean what it says in the book. What’s the realistic minimum?

metro_gnome:

i wouldn’t field less than 24…

but I’ve seen 15 man units on lists around…

I guess it could work at the lower point levels…

Cat Fashions:

A unit of 30 will fight was well as any other block we have, and you can bunker you're characters in it.

Method
This is what I was thinking. My dwarf unit usually sits back anyways and babysits my prophet and BSB and the 2 units of 20 hobgoblins I run usually just get blown up one way or another while my single heroes and K'Daai charge the board. They do pretty good on their own, but I'd think even a round of blunderbusses would do more damage than a couple turns of hobgoblin fire.

Method:

yep, i run a unit of 28 and one unit of hobgob archers

The Odor:

Sorry in advance for this thread jack but can we use the Sword & Board combo if we have BBs since they are longrange weps. I never play with shooting except with mah slowly developing CDs.

metro_gnome:

yep… BBs at range… sword and board in CC…

and you can also use your shield at range… but so can Fireglaives…

Skink:

… What means Sword & Board?

The Odor:

Hand Weapon and Shield.