[Archive] blunderbusses am i reading this right?

frankenstine:

hi been playing with me new CD recently and using blunderbusses

now reading the rules in the LOA have I been playing them right? I have 20 shooting so its d3*20 so you get either 20,40 or 60 shots a turn? a few ppl at my club don’t believe me???

fattdex:

Yes, they rock. Also notice all of the other bonuses for firing 20+ guns.

Skink:

Yep, you got it right. Although the rule applies only to units of 20+ dwarfs, so if you loose one to a wandering arrow (pesky Goblin hordes) you also loose the bonus. Most people play Blunderbusses in hordes of 30, deployed 10+ wide (they don’t have the volley special rule). Check the Battle report section to read how they fare in battle, or the Daemonsmith Handbook for advice.

cornixt:

If they don’t believe you then show them the book and ask how they interpret the rules. Might help to point how how expensive the unit is.

gIL^:

You read it right. But i don’t take blundies, They super expensive.

Bolg:

Do take them, they are super expensive but also very awesome.

frankenstine:

yeah Im running them in a unit of 30 and they are awesome, killed a daemon prince of nurgle withthem last week that why I wanted to check if I was doing it right

thanks guys

gIL^:

As for effectiveness, for 30 blundies you can get 4 deathshrikers and a level 2 daemonsmith with points to spare. Just saying.

frankenstine:

they are not core though

gIL^:

I always have atleast one Infernal guard unit without guns, After all i don’t want to scare my opponent away by bringing a 40k Army :smiley:

I think it’s important to field a balanced army and all the more important as our army list isn’t accepted by all.

But that’s my opinion anyway.

fattdex:

*deploy them eleven wide, because if you put a character in them ten wide, you don’t get the bonus as 19 are firing.

Singleton Mosby:

they are not core though

frankenstine
They are. Blunderbusses can be bloody awesome and, an unexpected threat or even a game-winner. I mostly use them as a block of 24-26 with an added BSB to make 'em stubborn.

Deploy them in between (and just a little in front of) your warmachines in 6*4 formation. Then when your opponent approaches redeploy them into a 12*2 formation and blast away.
Mostly I'll get two shots with the unit which is anywhere between 46 and 138 S3 AP shots with a re-roll to hit. :o
The first at 5's because of the redeployment, the second at 4's when the enemy charges. Tough enemy which isn't severly bloodied by something like that :hat off

Most people will tell you to take at least 30. I advice you to test a unit of 24 as experience has learned me that's enough most of the time in order to get the re-roll of 20+ shooting models.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think he meant four Deathshrieker Rockets and the wizard weren’t core…

Singleton Mosby:

I think he meant four Deathshrieker Rockets and the wizard weren't core...

Grimbold Blackhammer
Ah right, I see.

Blackspine:

remember that any MODELS count in the unit.

so a Castellan/ Sorc counts to the model count, even if they don’t have a blunderbuss.

though miscasting with a sorc can quickly take away your firing…

fattdex:

Blackspine, not really so. the rule states ‘as long as 20 or more models from a unit are firing at the same target at the same time, they may re-roll failed To Wound rolls’

If they are not firing at the same target they can hardly contribute to the model count, and they are not from the unit.

gashnag:

*deploy them eleven wide, because if you put a character in them ten wide, you don't get the bonus as 19 are firing.

fattdex
I thought the bonus was derived by the number of models in the unit not the number of models shooting

Blackspine:

Blackspine, not really so. the rule states 'as long as 20 or more models from a unit are firing at the same target at the same time, they may re-roll failed To Wound rolls'
If they are not firing at the same target they can hardly contribute to the model count, and they are not from the unit.

fattdex
my bad. meant to say if they have a pistol/etc

fattdex:

That would be one interpretation i think the safer interpretation is that only blunderbussess contribute to the volley unless something states otherwise?

Blackspine:

That would be one interpretation i think the safer interpretation is that only blunderbussess contribute to the volley unless something states otherwise?

fattdex
"as long as 20 or more MODELS from a unit are firing____" it does not say "models equipped with BB".

so, castellan/sorc w pistol, fair game. It's not bending the rules. it's pretty clearly stated.