[Archive] Blundies Unit Width

Willmark:

Everyone will universally agree that it is imperative to have a three ranks for the blunderbussers for maximum strength damage. However one thing that seems to not have been discussed is the frontage of the unit.

I bring this up because much like everything concerning this weapon there are some unique possibilities. The fire zone equals the width of the unit…

Almost everyone will go 5 wide by default, but what about large say 7? that would be a unit of 21 for full rank bonus with the blunderbuss.

Everyone weigh in, all thoughts on the matter welcome.

metro_gnome:

15 is really the minimum…

i use 18 because a 6 wide formation will strike all models in a 25mm base unit…

i wouldn’t go higher than 21 tho…

Malificant:

well, my votes go to 15 man 5 frontage, 20 man full command 5 frontage, or if your going all out 24 man 6 frontage.

Willmark:

So we are actually thinking nearly the same thing there Metro :slight_smile: my reasoning is much akin of 21 being the maximum, mainly for the reason of trying to maneuver them around the battlefield.

That being said I like the idea of having a bit more width in the fire range then just 5 across.

Uzkul Werit:

Five across and three deep is what I normally go by, simply because most other infantry blocks will have ranks of five too allowing me to get all the models in a unit. In larger games, I add another rank of five to absorb wounds but still keep that S5.

Willmark:

Ok but what we are talking about here is the width of the unit as it relates to the fire zone. 5 wide is fine, that is what most people will go with by default. My nusings are: is better to go 7 wide, 3 deep.

Canix:

I use them 2 units in 5x3 but now have enough for 3x6 for both which i feel is prime width i might try 3x7 sometime :hat

Willmark:

Try it out. I’d be interested to hear your results with them; my own are probably months away from being converted/painted…

baba yaga:

interesting tread, my green stuff is curing as i type this message, I have been pondering this same conundrum myself, let’s not forget about the redress ranks manouvre, it is possible to widen your front by max 5 models, thus giving you a much larger template to hit your opponent with if he has for instance a low T, low AS troupe (any kind of elves, skaven…)so you don’t need your high S5

Servant of Chaos:

I always go 6x3, because of two reasons.

1) It is wide enough to hit a lot of models pretty easily, even if they are on 25 mm bases.

2) Anything higher than that makes it pretty difficult to manouvre around the battlefield, and when you have a unit that is move AND fire, you really want maximum mobility.

gIL^:

anyone tried 120 models and put 40 in the front rank and just keep shooting, i bet its devistating :slight_smile:

1440 well spent?

Pyro Stick:

anyone tried 120 models and put 40 in the front rank and just keep shooting, i bet its devistating :)

1440 well spent?

gIL^
Does anyone have that many models? I only have 30 blunderbuss

Willmark:

anyone tried 120 models and put 40 in the front rank and just keep shooting, i bet its devistating :)

1440 well spent?

gIL^
Probably not well spend. A unit that big would be easy to avoid and ponderous to move especially if your foe got behind you.

On time of it all it your opponent has every right to beat you around the head should you field such a beardy option.

Servant of Chaos:

Unfortunatly, no matter how cool it is, that unit has to go in a much bigger army, at least 7000 points. The reason for this is that you will be beaten in combat pretty easily, so you have to be able to pay the points for some flank protecters.

gIL^:

“joke” ? Cmon i wasnt serious,

would be better to have 8 units of 15 instead so they can pick out shooting. why hit a unit once when you can hit it 8 times?

rabotak:

I own 60 bbs, the max i used was 45 in a 3k battle … you need them when fighting skinks, or anything T3 or lower… but anyways, a combination of 2x15 bbs 5 wide is imo more usable than 1x21 7 wide … its more easy to manouvre and it gives you the option to crossfire

Willmark:

Hmm 2 units of 15 crossfire ensues…

hal:

Personally I like to use 18 BBs. Maybe you should make a poll out of it Willmark.

Willmark:

18 in three ranks so 6 wide? Not a bad option IMHO.

gIL^:

i go 2 units of 15, 5 wide