[Archive] Bolt thrower tutorial (as seen in HoH)

centauro enano:

Good tutorial, I am building some.

Do you have some painting? I would like to see it finished, a greeting :cheers.

Willmark:

Man… how the hell did I miss these? This tutorial might be useful for something, I wonder what… :slight_smile:

Viskar Zhragoth:

Agreed Willmark, Excellent Work Bassman!

Have to have a go at this, after my other project is done…mhuwhahaha!

Hammerhand:

wow man, great job - I haven’t seen those gobbos in years, they’re the ones from the old WHFB boxed set right?

al-hashut:

Great stuff bassman. Nice that you’ve kept the essence of the original at a fraction of the price. The crew look good as well, but i’m really impressed by the lantern carrying bighat lurking in the background. Any chance of a close up?

Bassman:

Hello guys,

thank you for kind words. My will was not to create modelling masterpieces but build fast and cheap bolt throwers that look not-so-bad.

I’m quite pleased by the result :hat.

centauro enano and Viskar : I wish to see your creations, I’m sure they’ll be much better than mine ahahhaha :slight_smile:

Willmark : I’ll try to do my best :cheers

Hammerhand: I think so, they should be from 4th edition starter set. I got them from a super cheap bargain on ebay. I’ve over 30 spear gobbos and over 30 bowgobbos. They are my hobgoblins :h

al-hashut: thank you. You should already know him from my army blog :~

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/8827

centauro enano:

Hey Bassman, now I have very little built :D.

I will add slaves when you paint the bolt thrower :hat off:hat off

Bassman:

Hey Bassman, now I have very little built :D.

I will add slaves when you paint the bolt thrower :hat off:hat off

centauro enano
Damn it! I've just finished my blunderbusses and I cannot have a rest... ahhahaha :o
slaveeeeees, my preciousssss :hat

CheTralfara:

Bassman, please do not take offense to this… but would you consider making the skirt of your hobgoblin archers’s cloak a little longer… right now it kinda looks a little too… girly?

once again, please don’t take this the wrong way. I mean no offense, I just think it would look better as a cloak, while now it looks kinda like a skirt… and makes him also look a little strangely atheletic? (not sure why). You could extended the skirt part just like you did with the former spearman goblin. Those goblin models make great starts for hobbos by the way. Glad you made them human size instead of just using them as is :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bassman:

Bassman, please do not take offense to this.. but would you consider making the skirt of your hobgoblin archers's cloak a little longer... right now it kinda looks a little too...... girly?

once again, please don't take this the wrong way. I mean no offense, I just think it would look better as a cloak, while now it looks kinda like a skirt... and makes him also look a little strangely atheletic? (not sure why). You could extended the skirt part just like you did with the former spearman goblin. Those goblin models make great starts for hobbos by the way. Glad you made them human size instead of just using them as is :) :) :)

CheTralfara
No offense at all! I'm happy to have suggestions. Yes, they look like skirts :P Unfortunately they are already painted but in next projects I'll made them longer to cover the entire legs. This way i'll avoid sculpting the new legs!

Bassman:

To celebrate the release of new Hands of Hashut with my article from this tutorial, new pics of the first painted bolt thrower! :hat

Enjoy :hat off

Bassman:

and the brave :o crew hobgobbos:

naked:

(badly) painted:

:cheers

centauro enano:

Good job, I send you the slave as promised :cheers:cheers

color as that used for wood ?, a greeting.

Kera foehunter:

great stuff Bassman love the new bolt thower

Bassman:

Good job, I send you the slave as promised :cheers:cheers

color as that used for wood ?, a greeting.

centauro enano
Thank you Kera and Centauro.

About wood:

I primed with my special recipe, black priming, then sprayed white from two different angles to enhance details and light directions.
First layer of scorched brown, then a very watered layer or dark flesh.
I start to build wood grain with a mix of scorched brown and bestial brown, adding more and more bestial brow to get the lighest strokes.
Final highlights adding the mixture a touch of vomit brown.
When the transition was not smooth, I washed with really watered down scorched brown.
It is longer to write than to paint. :D
I procedeed with fast strokes, it's wood you do not have to care too much about precision. :idea
Bassman

snowblizz:

I haven’t read this thread as carefully as might be needed, so colour me bashful if I missed it, but… measurements. I’d would be ace if you could tell me dimensions. I happen to be “back home” and have LOADs of sprues to experiment with.

Bassman:

I haven't read this thread as carefully as might be needed, so colour me bashful if I missed it, but... measurements. I'd would be ace if you could tell me dimensions. I happen to be "back home" and have LOADs of sprues to experiment with.

snowblizz
Hope you do not want misurement of every part... pleeeze! :o I'm a lazy git after all... :P
Well from first serie of pics you can have an idea compared to other miniature like my big hat sorcerer.
Bases are 40 mm bases.
Bow is large on average 55 mm.
From the rear to the point of the spear.... 85 mm and something.
Without the thropy racks each bolt is tall around 55 mm.
Hope these misurements could help you. :hat off

darksquirrel56:

very nice ,u are a true craftsman and what would u think if i made it with wood?

Bassman:

Hello,

thank you.It’s really nice somebody dugs out this old thread :slight_smile:

I do not like wood as a modelling materials as… it always looks like wood. But in this situation it actually fits a construct that is supposed to be… wood :wink:

TRy it! I’m really curious to see what comes out :slight_smile:

KillCow:

Absolutely beautiful. My big hat is off to you.

Less Chat, More Hat!