[Archive] Bolt thrower tutorial (as seen in HoH)

Kera foehunter:

great stuff Bassman love the new bolt thower

Bassman:

Good job, I send you the slave as promised :cheers:cheers

color as that used for wood ?, a greeting.

centauro enano
Thank you Kera and Centauro.

About wood:

I primed with my special recipe, black priming, then sprayed white from two different angles to enhance details and light directions.
First layer of scorched brown, then a very watered layer or dark flesh.
I start to build wood grain with a mix of scorched brown and bestial brown, adding more and more bestial brow to get the lighest strokes.
Final highlights adding the mixture a touch of vomit brown.
When the transition was not smooth, I washed with really watered down scorched brown.
It is longer to write than to paint. :D
I procedeed with fast strokes, it's wood you do not have to care too much about precision. :idea
Bassman

snowblizz:

I haven’t read this thread as carefully as might be needed, so colour me bashful if I missed it, but… measurements. I’d would be ace if you could tell me dimensions. I happen to be “back home” and have LOADs of sprues to experiment with.

Bassman:

I haven't read this thread as carefully as might be needed, so colour me bashful if I missed it, but... measurements. I'd would be ace if you could tell me dimensions. I happen to be "back home" and have LOADs of sprues to experiment with.

snowblizz
Hope you do not want misurement of every part... pleeeze! :o I'm a lazy git after all... :P
Well from first serie of pics you can have an idea compared to other miniature like my big hat sorcerer.
Bases are 40 mm bases.
Bow is large on average 55 mm.
From the rear to the point of the spear.... 85 mm and something.
Without the thropy racks each bolt is tall around 55 mm.
Hope these misurements could help you. :hat off

darksquirrel56:

very nice ,u are a true craftsman and what would u think if i made it with wood?

Bassman:

Hello,

thank you.It’s really nice somebody dugs out this old thread :slight_smile:

I do not like wood as a modelling materials as… it always looks like wood. But in this situation it actually fits a construct that is supposed to be… wood :wink:

TRy it! I’m really curious to see what comes out :slight_smile:

KillCow:

Absolutely beautiful. My big hat is off to you.

Less Chat, More Hat!