[Archive] Brush Slave #5: Blast from the Past

GRNDL:

It is with great pleasure (and a bit of consternation) that I announce the topic for Brush Slave #5. The theme for this one will be:

"Blast from the Past"

The idea being any model that evokes a sense of archaic, ancient, historical or obsolete feeling. This is potentially very broad, but it should open up a lot of possibilities for people. Nothing is too old, and even more recent things can apply: kinda like disco!! Please note that this does NOT have to include historically accurate stuff, so if you want to go Steampunk or Diesel punk, go right ahead. Just remember we’re looking for that “old, out of date” feeling.

The powers that be have suggested June 15th as a deadline, so have at it!!!

Rules and considerations can be found at: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8430

PS: Thanks for the votes for my entry in BS4 - I really feel my entry didn’t deserve them since there were some very nice and different entries that should have gotten them instead. I am humbled that people felt I did Ol’ Joe, er, justice (!) - quite a compliment since Dredd and 2000AD literally shaped my life.

I’m off to buy groceries. :cheers
/transmission ends

Borador:

Oh nice theme! I’ll try to enter this time (:

(a vintage warhammer miniature is historcal aswell I suppose?)

GRNDL:

So long as its clearly archaic, sure. I’m on the fence about that personally, but it fits the theme, so I don’t see why not. I feel that the title of the theme I provided sort of crosses into the theme that Clam set out for the first Brush Slave in this regard, but the spirit of the event is come all what may, so if that’s the miniature you want to enter, go for it!!

inkpwn:

Oh I have the perfect mini, and its fantasy football so its right up my street mu ha ha ha ha ha ha.

G.2:

Nice Topic. Hmm…what can I paint. I will have to rumage through the lead pile for some inspiration.

I am really liking the quick turn around time too…I am putting the deadline in my Calendar now.

clam:

Interesting topic :slight_smile: Will have to think about this for a bit. Like Borador, first thing that cross my mind was a real vintage miniature from the early days - an Asgard perhaps. But maybe I should do a late 70s movie moment, or something real ancient or perhaps a few more Spartan Dwarfs? … hmm, could also try …??? :slight_smile:

warh:

I think this can get me back to sculpting.

G.2:

How is everyone’s progress on this. I am nearly finished mine.

For all the new people on here, feel free to join in, we would love to see your work. The more the merrier.

GRNDL:

I’m not sure I can get mine done in time. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, so to speak. Also, that Iron Daemon thing is calling to me…

clam:

Still haven’t decide what to do. Got at least three projects here fitting this theme, so need to pick one - but which one?

But will do my best to get something done :slight_smile:

@GRNDL

Not again - but you have a ‘title’ to defend :stuck_out_tongue:

G.2:

@GRNDL
Not again - but you have a 'title' to defend :P

clam
Exactly. I am sure he will produce something great in the last few seconds of the competition.

GRNDL:

@GRNDL
Not again - but you have a 'title' to defend :P

clam
LoL, I thought this WASN'T a competition???
Exactly. I am sure he will produce something great in the last few seconds of the competition.

G.2
LoL, that was mostly coincidence. I just needed the extra time. Things have been hectic for me with some wicked deadlines at work and not a lot of energy to concentrate on models. Also, I really, really wasn't going to enter anything until I saw the Quar and Cap'n America and then well, I couldn't help it... I do have a few models on the table, but its slow progress, so we'll have to see.

clam:

It’s not a competition :stuck_out_tongue: and you title is just “the guy that can come up with the most challenging challenge” - and was wondering what could possible be next.

G.2:

I think I am going to paint another mini for this Brush Slave, and depending on which I like better, I will enter the nicer one (well at least the one that I like better).

clam:

That’s the spirit :smiley:

G.2:

Here is my entry.

Blue in VT:

:o:o:o COOL…and CREEPY! G2 you have a very eclectic range of figures in your collection and never fail to surprise!

Awesome!

Blue

GRNDL:

Well, that’s it then! G.2 has this “uncompetition” all sewn up! Very nice brushwork, interesting model. Kind of reminds me of the Iron Maiden Classic, “The Trooper”, particularly the single artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTaD9cd8hvw

Up the Irons! :cheers

G.2:

G2 you have a very eclectic range of figures in your collection and never fail to surprise!

Blue in VT
Thanks Blue. I don't think that my collection is that eclectic. This guy is from the current range (I think he is still available) of Flintloque/Slaughterloo minis from Alternative Armies. He was actually my "backup" figure for this Brush Slave, my original figure/s actually turned out to be bad sculpts, and wouldn't have been too fun to paint.
Well, that's it then! G.2  has this "uncompetition" all sewn up! Very nice brushwork, interesting model.

GRNDL
Thanks for the kind words GRNDL, and this "uncompetition" has not closed yet. There are a LOT of great painters on this forum, so lets see what the other entries are, first. :hat off

clam:

I’m done :slight_smile:

The year is 1602, the people of London are heading for the Globe to watch a new play written by the Bard of Avon. The play is called The Tragical History of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark - so I’ll present leading head role, the Prince of Denmark, Hamlet himself :smiley:

or shall we just call him Hoglet, with the skull of ‘Alaspoor’ the jester? Lovely piece painting. Thanks, Dave :wink: