[Archive] "Brush Slave" - Season 2 - discussion thread

clam:

With two rounds left of the League we might start thinking about “what then”!

I see 4 ways to choose:

1) Get on - and start a “season 2” - asap

2) Go back - to the classic challenge where someone puts down a challenge and others do the paintings.

3) Call it in - It’s been fun but we don’t really need this to keep painting.

4) and now to something completely different …?

Now, discuss ladies and gentlemen.

- and personally, I’ll like to keep the league format, but what about you?

furrie:

I like the league idea, it motivates me more then the classic challenge one. And I work better with a deadline.

G.2:

My Vote is:

My reasons are:

1. This has had the most interest, and thus a lot of participants

2. The painted minis have been fun to see,

2. It has made me paint more,

3. and most importantly I have lost more rounds than I have won, and this has made me want to improve my painting.

Lets keep it this way.

ryanamandaanna:

I agree with G.2. Having the “competition” and not having a set theme every month has kept me motivated without me worrying about having a model that fits the theme every time.

clam:

My Vote is:

1) Get on - and start a "season 2" - asap

G.2
Don't forget I'll be needing new banners if all people start fav a second season. Did you think of that before agitating for a new league? :D

DAGabriel:

My vote is for 1, an idea for the next session could be to do the two themed rounds over two month sessions summer and end of year? 8 rounds with two over two months and a two month break would add up to a year, perhaps even do two breaks of a month around GH and AC if it is possible to coordinate?

Am still struggling for a nice idea for “Thank you, CDO”.

Zanko:

Like the others I prefer the 1st option! :hat off

:hashut

nilbog:

As long as it’s not 3. I’ve not had a chance to participate this year but would really look forward to doing so next time.

G.2:

Don't forget I'll be needing new banners if all people start fav a second season. Did you think of that before agitating for a new league? :D

clam
I'm happy to work on a new league banner, if you would like me too.

Blue in VT:

I’m up for Season 2! And hope that I can get more teams in this time around.

Cheers,

Blue

GRNDL:

I really don’t have time for a league option, same as last time. :frowning:

clam:

:frowning:

- sorry to here, mate! You are such a skilled painter and would have loved seeing you in on a season two.

Don’t forget I’ll be needing new banners if all people start fav a second season. Did you think of that before agitating for a new league? :smiley:

clam
I’m happy to work on a new league banner, if you would like me too.

G.2
I would really appreciate if you would :hat off

Lord Aldades:

I would say, go for the League option, it had quite a few attendees and about a 66% turnover of new entries.

It might be advisable though to do it, since a few of us (well more then a few) are also always joining the LPL (where the idea came from) just after that one, say from may to december or such things.

Not that 3 figures a month is an issue, but 5+ a week is so for the temporal dynamically challenged :wink:

Borador:

I’m in for season two of the league. Haven’t been able to do much painting this year and hope to change that in the new season. I’ll propably get some more painting done when all the medical fuzz is over haha

DAGabriel:

I would say, go for the League option, it had quite a few attendees and about a 66% turnover of new entries.

It *might* be advisable though to do it, since a few of us (well more then a few) are also always joining the LPL (where the idea came from) just after that one, say from may to december or such things.

Not that 3 figures a month is an issue, but 5+ a week is so for the temporal dynamically challenged ;)

Lord Aldades
Wouldn`t really like a half year league (especially when it means waiting until May for the next one), think 8 rounds in 12 months would be a compromise.

Bolg:

I see 1 ways to choose:

(:

clam:

Okay - seems to be a massive support for a second season, then - and I’ll volunteer to run it again :slight_smile:

As I want the next season running during the “hobby time prime zone” meaning autumn and winter (on the northern hemisphere) we need to start right after Season One. Optimal, I want it to run from September-ish till May-ish - but we can’t :~ So Season 2 will be run from 1st December (First team deadline is 30th November) till mid July - 8 strict monthly rounds - no breaks no nothing.  

Two themed rounds again. Not sure I can avoid them to collide with Artisan and Golden Hat, as they have become “slightly” irregular. So I’ll rather we just announce these in due time (like 3 months in advance). Should give most of us time to plan.

Next questions …?

“Do we need any rule changes?” Anything that could make it better or add to the league?

Here is first a few technical things that will be changed:

1) Not really any need for signing up - so the rules will be simple …: “if you want to be in, enter a team before deadline”. I will however, still like people to post if they will enter in any given round, so the match up’s can be done quickly. Some people here are very impatient and want the polls up right after deadline, and that needs a bit of “preparation”.

2) Voting period will be “one week”. I’ve followed the voting for each round very close - and 97% of all votes a in during the first 4 days, so I’ll change that till 7 days (to make sure it runs over a weekend, though I think 5 days would have been enough)

3) Originally it was thought as an anonymous league (meaning that entries was keep secret till after voting) - but that part was changes after round 1, as keeping track of team name/user names was a nightmare. So from round two it was official who did what. I’ll add that to the rules. I’ll keep the part that entries shall be new pieces/not shown pieces, but after match opening you are free to post them anywhere.

4) Picture restrictions are still 800x800pix and max 2 pictures each, but feel free to do collages (photos in photo) add a bit of test maybe to help explain your theme etc. as long as the miniatures stays in focus and it’s not looking like an ad (no brands, company names, web-addresses, usernames, twitter, FB links etc).

And now some rule changes to think about/discuss!

1)  Points for winning, drawing or losing a match.

The ½-1-1½ point system don’t really give anything as all teams will each round be sure of 0.5 pts - and then it punish those with a late start which shouldn’t be the intentions. If a guy enters after 3 rounds I should actually automatic give him a 1.5 bonus for entering - as he would have got that for just being “in”. So I suggest we remove the automatic point raise in each round and do one of two systems:

1) 2-1-0 - system (W-D-L) Still want to fav more new teams to most winning team - meaning that a painter with most new teams should have an advantage over a painter with a single (just a very few) great painted one(s). Not that quantity is better than quality - but I want both - so a new winning team each round will have the advantage of taking away the “virtual” trophy.

- or

4-3-2-1-0 -system meaning we introduce a clear win, win, draw, loss, clear loss - system. Not 100% sure how to define it yet (so open for a discussion), but should be based on numbers of votes - of course. Without any deep analysis of this, I think something along “more than 25 votes and at points difference of at least 25 votes” - so a 25-0 win is then a clear win and will give you 4 points (opponent get 0 points) and a 30-6 win is a “win” and gives you 3 points, but your opponent gets 1 point for a loss. Again less than 3 votes differences is a draw.
I tend to fav such a system - and my reasoning for this is again quality/quantity. I don’t have a problem that well painted teams/popular teams are reflected in the scoring system. Still don’t want to fav those that just enters one or two well painted teams during the season (yes, that was you, Blue :stuck_out_tongue: - nah! just joking of course - I know you’ve been busy), but can also understand those that can’t paint a new team for each round and want to focus on fever “better painted ones”.
Second, it makes voting a bit more interesting and you’ll probably try drag other members attention in our direction - and by that it will make BSL even more attractive :slight_smile:
(In this scenario we might change the new team bonus to 4 pts.!)

2) Theme round bonus point
I still suggest 2 themed rounds for next season, but will lose up on the point restrictions a bit for each round. Not sure how yet, but I might reward another 2 points for do an additional opposing team of 3. Or you can achieve more points if make your team bigger than standard 3 - perhaps for doing “a monster”, or perhaps by adding some new themed terrain etc. So the rules will be more like:

“Two rounds will be �?~theme bonus rounds�?T, in which participants may enter a new team that follows a pre-determined theme. If the team meets the theme/theme challenge, it will be awarded bonus points (+ the normal bonus of a entering a new team). What bonuses you can achieve will be announced in due time (3 months before deadline). If the themed bonus round is your first round, you�?Tll only be rewarded for �?omeeting” the theme/the theme challenge, of course."

Anything you’d like to see changed? I’m all ears. As Lord Aldades said, it’s based a lot on LPL at lead-adventure.de - just in small scale, but we can give it our own little twist :slight_smile:

Ohh, and feel free to suggest themes for the themed rounds. If you got a cool idea please PM me, please.

bas_2312:

`Yeah, I’m all for season 2! I don’t paint a lot these days, but the Brush Slave always pushes me to finish something by the end of the month :slight_smile:

Lord Aldades:

I`m in either way it swings, all that reduces Lead Mountain is a good thing hehehe

Bolg:

- or

4-3-2-1-0 -system meaning we introduce a clear win, win, draw, loss, clear loss - system.
I like that a lot and I think this will also be more exiting after a few rounds as there could be bigger differences in the top (: