[Archive] Bull Centaur Lord

Thommy H:

Okay, I’ve been meaning to ask about this for ages, and now I’ve finally remembered. Does anyone remember the model that the GW studio used to use for the champion in their bull centaur unit? He’s rearing up on his hind legs, and his torso looks like one of the Chaos Dwarf Hero models - complete with enormous hat. His body was painted black instead of the usual red. I always thought he was just a cool conversion.

Apparently not though…

You guys will have to take my word for this, and I still have no idea why I didn’t save the picture, but I swear to God I saw an ebay auction with a copy of this figure. Not a conversion, no evidence of green stuff, unpainted, bare metal. A Bull Centaur Lord, rearing up on his hind legs. It was definitely the same model too and obviously from the same range as all the other Chaos Dwarf models.

But I can’t find any other evidence that this model ever existed. No catalogue pages, and it’s not in the rare GW figure wiki as a model that was a limited production or a staff gift or anything.

Anyone else know anything about this, or have a sighting to share?

EDIT:

He might be the guy on the right of the unit in this picture:

But, again, that looks like a conversion of one of the normal bull centaurs…

Ancient History:

The head (or hat, at least) looks like it came from a Chaos Dwarf Hero

Maybe you confused it with this model?

Canix:

I never noticed that before must be the first documented conversion for the CD army .Its definately a hat swap of the hero with axe 2 and the Bull Centaur upper torso with axe 1 with the bull body reposed excellent spotting:hat

Thommy H:

Well, yes, this is exactly what I thought too. That’s why I always assumed it was just a conversion. But the one I saw on ebay looked like a complete metal model and it was very definitely the same figure. Also, why would the army in my picture (which is not the studio army) feature an identical conversion?

Canix:

WOW perhaps it is a test cast although i would think it a good idea to do a hat conversion.I have used converted htrarkk the unstoppable figures for my BC lord and BC hero with standard:hat

Obsidian:

I have the painting guide where it was featured in at my dad’s house. I’ll scan it and show it here so you can compare. Give me a few days though to do it…

Thommy H:

Thanks, Obsidian.

It really could have just been a conversion I saw on ebay, but why would someone build it and not bother to paint it up? And why would three people have made the exact same conversion independently? I really wish I had more evidence besides “I saw it on ebay one time…”

AGPO:

Also, why would the army in my picture (which is not the studio army) feature an identical conversion?

Thommy H
Some conversion ideas get taken up pretty widely in those days. WD was more willing to print basic conversion articles and did so most months. WD or another publication probablly featured this model sometime and the people who used CDs at the time copied it.

Great find with the picture by the way, I love GW's red period don't you?

cornixt:

I think that army was done by one of the GW team, not the studio army (note the dark green on the basess, which is against the painting policy of the time). It is very possible that people saw it and copied the conversion themselves. There have been other hat-swap recasts too. The base model looks like the top left BC here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:CD_-_Bull_Centaurs.jpg

If you can find a pic then we could take a more detailed look.

Kera foehunter:

those are some cool cd that would make a cool conversion humm!!

Thommy H:

I think that army was done by one of the GW team, not the studio army
Yes, I know. That's precisely my point. The "Bull Centaur Lord" figure exists both in the studio army and in this army, which was not made by the studio. I believe it's actually the army of a Golden Demon winner, because I remember seeing units from it in that context in another issue of White Dwarf.

Ancient History:

Are you sure? I dug out my copy of Chronicles of War and it looks to be the exact same figure used in “The Gathering of Might” back in WD181 fielded with the rest of the studio armies.

Thommy H:

Well that isn’t the studio army up there. The colour scheme is totally different.

Ancient History:

When you’re right, you’re right. And you, you’re right.

Thommy H:

I believe the army is Gareth Hamilton’s. He used to always win the “Best Army” award at tournaments and did some painting articles for White Dwarf back in the day. He also famously trounced Mike Walker’s Dwarfs with his Skaven in a battle report once.

torn:

could it possibly be an unreleased miniature, and they just gave the test casts to people in the studio who wanted them. chances are they could have thought about producing it then found out it wouldnt fit in a blister or something like that.

Thommy H:

could it possibly be an unreleased miniature, and they just gave the test casts to people in the studio who wanted them. chances are they could have thought about producing it then found out it wouldnt fit in a blister or something like that.

torn
If it does exist, that's the most likely explanation, I think.

I feel like a detective...

TheVoice:

If you can see close enough, is the model you’re referring to wearing an eyepatch? Because the same model is more clearly visible in the Warhammer Rulebook (the one with a griffon-riding High Elf on the cover), on page 46. The picture is the one from White Dwarf showing Hamilton’s ‘Strike Force’. I’d always thought it was a model and not a conversion because it appeared in the Rulebook.

Thommy H:

Yeah, it has an eyepatch - Hamilton’s versions and the Studio version are, as far as I can tell, identical in all respects apart from the paint scheme. I’m leaning towards it just being a conversion he copied, but it’s really a mystery still.

TheVoice:

The one in the rulebook has skulls dangling down over the beard. Does the studio version have them?