[Archive] Bull Centaurs or Ironguts?

Bloodfire:

Hey, ive been busy building up my Chaos DWarfs and im a bit stuck on my second rare choice. So far ive got an earthshaker (as standard), but im busy weighing up which unit would be more efective, Bull Centaurs or Iron Guts?

Thanks for your help:hat off

Ancient History:

Generally, I’d say Bull Centaurs. The big advantage to the Iron Guts (other than availability) is that you can field an OK banner with them.

[[Chaos Dwarf Tactics#Ogres]]

Mosk:

I do not know how affective either are, but the bull centaurs are very cool looking. The conversions you can do to make them are unlimited. Kera (i think thats the name) has AWESOME bull centaurs. SO for the look and feel go bull centaurs

rabotak:

bull centaurs … same armour, greater speed, more or less equal attack rate in CC, fluffier, and last but not least : some of the most beautiful models GW has ever released IMO

Warlord:

What if you model Bull Centaurs on the Irongut bases?

Besides from the modelling perspective, wouldn’t the fear and greater amount of wounds be better? I know the charge is important, but can’t wolf riders help with that?

Willmark:

Ogres, causing fear make them that much better IMHO. Bull Centaurs on their current form are fluffy (this coming from the guy who has 10 converted ones) but aren’t a great choice.

Father Grumpmas:

What if you model Bull Centaurs on the Irongut bases?

Warlord
It's a good idea - I have some of the Blood Bowl bull centaurs and was going to do just that - they can then also double as dragon ogres for a chaos army.

I've run both Iron Guts and Bull Centaurs as rare and I'm tending towards the Bull Centaurs - their M8 sometimes catches person by surprise.

Baggronor:

Bull centaurs every time I say. WS 3 for Ironguts is annoyingly poor, plus the centaurs bring a 3D6" pursuit move which is nice. They can also benefit from the hand weapon and shield bonus to get a 3+ save if they need to, which is occasionally handy.

Father Grumpmas:

Bull centaurs every time I say. WS 3 for Ironguts is annoyingly poor, plus the centaurs bring a 3D6" pursuit move which is nice. They can also benefit from the hand weapon and shield bonus to get a 3+ save if they need to, which is occasionally handy.

Baggronor
Your are assuming that the US GT FAQ are allowed. The competition I'm in shortly is counting Bull Centaurs as "mounted", so only +1 ST for GW and no HW/Shield bonus.

Mind you, it means a +1 to AS for being mounted so it means 3+ save vs missles and 4+ combat even with the great weapon.

Swissdictator:

The tournaments I’m going to are going by the Direwolf FAQ, mainly that they can use equipment like infantry. So I’m all in favor of Bull Centaurs with extra hand weapon personally.

It was exciting getting a flank charge on skellies with extra hand weapon. The combat res crumbled the unit to oblivion! :slight_smile: Of course I rolled nicely, had six, and banner/warbanner. The higher mobility, the better figures, and the flexibility in options give them the winning edge IMHO.

Nehan:

Bullcentaurs are faster, are cheaper (166 points for a nice six with war banner) and pack as much punch as ironguts. Ogres, on the other hand, are much more survivable. Save 4+ out of combat isn’t really good for a cavalry, so bullcentaurs tend to be shot down very early. Ironguts have 5+AS, but 3 wounds each, so a four-ogre unit has 12 wounds, two times more than bullcentaurs. I think they’re comparable - they’re both a good, but not excellent rare choice.

I rarely use them, prefer to use two shakers, or manflayers as the second rare.