[Archive] Bull centaurs, What do they do?

hobomcg:

So, over the past few days I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out why these models are so many points.

For a 2+ save and strength 5 on the charge your looking at 50 points a model, for strength 6 and a 3+ save its the same points. But with 2 Attacks at initiative 3 and weapon skill 4 i’m struggling to see the point.

Has anyone has any success with them?

What do people use them for?

And if you don’t use them, do you use anything that fills a similar role instead of them?

Love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

They also stomp.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Wifstrand:

IIRC they’re Monstrous Beasts so don’t get the S bonus on the charge from the spear. I like to use them in medium-ish unit with great weapons and shields (versus Gosford etc), including a full command and either Banner of +1LD or M. This way they’re really survivable and can dish out some pain.

The Besieger:

The are a succes :).

T5 make them hard to wound.

Baggronor:

They’re a mobile road block.

Small units are good to hunt other support units, big units are a mega-blocking unit. With T5 and good armour, they are hard work to shift.

K’Daai Fireborn are more killy but hard to use well. They need to fight T3 troops to be most effective.

KramDratta:

I have had big success with 2 units of 3 with Mus, GW & shields. They have 2+ armour vs shooting & 3+ in combat. They are ideal for holding up big units of low strength models, ex clan rats, swordsmen, etc. If the unit is away from the general, remember that they cause fear, which helps every now and then.

& they make great war machine hunters…

I am now trying a unit of 5 with the Tauruk (stubborn Tauruk)

MLP:

As they’re monstrous beasts and don’t get the +1 str on the Charge for spears does that mean they get an extra supporting rank like infantry?

Also would they get the parry save for hand weapon and shield?!

Bassman:

I field 3 of them with standard bearer (banner of swiftness) and Taur’ruk.

The bull cenaturs do not die and the Taur’ruk provide the killings. I found them not the ultimate game breaker but as a support to my troops or the Destroyer (yes, sometimes even the destroyer needs help!).

They are fast and reliable, they are good warmachines hunters and with the Taur’ruk they can deal with every soft target and some medium-heavy targets (as a support).

With Taur’ruk and banner they can even charge light infantry units to the front and they… win!! :hat off

They do not get the +1 S but they can dish out their 2 attacks even from the rear, that’s why I normally field them 2X2.

Parish:

Bassman I was wondering , what do you use to add to you taur’uk (in term of equipment , and in which scale 2K + ? ) .

Thanks for sharring so much information guys !

MLP:

They do not get the +1 S but they can dish out their 2 attacks even from the rear, that's why I normally field them 2X2.

Bassman
but they would get supporting attacks from the second rank anyway so with spears could they attack with three ranks?! I'm thinking of a unit of 8+taur'uk in 3x3 all attacking! Big point sink but could be fun to try!

Bassman:

Here you can find my lists (and comment :wink: ).

My Taur’ruk wears his fancy Blackshard armor, a simple shield and the magic weapon +2 attacks. If so he has a nice 1+ armor save, T5 and 6 S5 attacks!

If I send him and his bull centaurs against soft-medium units, and hero-class characters he cannot die and provide enough killings to win combats by themselves.

Here you can find a nice discussion about Bull centaurs’ rules http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10366

mistrmoon:

Here you can find my lists (and comment ;) ).

My Taur'ruk wears his fancy Blackshard armor, a simple shield and the magic weapon +2 attacks. If so he has a nice 1+ armor save, T5 and 6 S5 attacks!
If I send him and his bull centaurs against soft-medium units, and hero-class characters he cannot die and provide enough killings to win combats by themselves.

Here you can find a nice discussion about Bull centaurs' rules http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10366

Bassman
I've tried something similar but with the sword of anti heroes instead, for 10 less points it lets you just crush other characters and any time you run into a unit without characters he is good enough on his own.

Far2Casual:

As they're monstrous beasts and don't get the +1 str on the Charge for spears does that mean they get an extra supporting rank like infantry?

Also would they get the parry save for hand weapon and shield?!

MLP
Hi,

At the moment the rules are clear, the intention of the conceptor maybe not.

- As they are not cavalry (but beasts), they can't use a Spear to get the +1S on the Charge, as this is a rule specifically for cavalry. That was probably the intent, but the rules don't work that way.
- They get the parry indeed ! Again, it's only riders (cavalry or on top of monsters) that won't benefit from the parry. This is why I give them shields : T5, 2+ armour and parry make them very hard to kill.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Models equipped with a spear do NOT get a parry save. A spear is not a “hand weapon”. Sorry.

Grimbold Blackhammer

MLP:

Models equipped with a spear do NOT get a parry save.  A spear is not a "hand weapon".  Sorry.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Well said, Grimbold! :hat off

Herby
Niether of us were referring to spears with regards to parry saves. :cheers

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I was correcting Far2Casual.

And for the record MLP, I think the Sword of Anti-Heroes is one of the most under-rated items out there. It sure scared my opponent when he had 8 Skeven heroes in one unit.

Grimbold Blackhammer

MLP:

I was correcting Far2Casual.

And for the record MLP, I think the Sword of Anti-Heroes is one of the most under-rated items out there.  It sure scared my opponent when he had 8 Skeven heroes in one unit.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
I know you were! But he was answering two seperate questions I asked one about spears and another about hand weapons with shields.

I have also said nothing bad against the sword of anti heroes! In the right place it can be very effective!