[Archive] Can Sorcerers and Daemonsmiths take magic armour?

thrawn:

It specifically states in LoA that chaos dwarf magic casters can wear their armour (what’s it called again? hell forged?) and still caste spells. it does not state anywhere that they can wear ANY armour and still caste spells. i think this is pretty clear, CD magic casters cannot buy magic armour from the generic list, yet i see people’s list and they’re doing it again and again. anyone know for sure?

furrie:

I don’t have the book with me, but if a caster has armour or can buy any piece of armour they can buy magical armour.

Nicodemus:

I believe that beyond their starting armour, listed in their profile, they are like all other Wizards in this respected - and therefore cannot purchase magical armour. For story/background reasons the Chaos Dwarfs have special armour that allows them to work their magical powers (just like Sorcerers in the Warriors of Chaos list), but other forms of armour don’t work this way.

furrie:

I believe that beyond their starting armour, listed in their profile, they are like all other Wizards in this respected - and therefore cannot purchase magical armour.  For story/background reasons the Chaos Dwarfs have special armour that allows them to work their magical powers (just like Sorcerers in the Warriors of Chaos list), but other forms of armour don't work this way.

Nicodemus
From the ogre kingdom FAQ :
"Q: As Butchers and Slaughtermasters can take an ironfist, does this
mean that they can also wear magical armour? (p32)
A: Yes."
So that would mean they can take it.

MLP:

BRB Pg. 500 "The only exception is when a Wizard has armour as part of his standard equipment…"

I’m not going to type the whole thing but basically yes they can, just like chaos sorcerers.

Bolg:

BRB Pg. 500 "The only exception is when a Wizard has armour as part of his standard equipment..."

I'm not going to type the whole thing but basically yes they can, just like chaos sorcerers.

MLP
And that gives oodles of cool possibilities, enjoy (:

JMR:

There is no rule anymore that prevents spellcasting when wearing armour, unlike previous editions of Warhammer which did have such a rule. If Forge World makes a specific exception to such a (non-existent) rule, it’s simply because they still seem to live in the world of 7th edition Warhammer.

The rule mentioned by MLP above is how wizards and armour is handled nowadays.

cornixt:

I think that the rule about not being able to cast spells while wearing armour has gone because it was technically pointless, instead they have just kept it such that you can’t buy a magic version of something unless you can have a mundane one - which for most wizards (with some exceptions) means that they can’t buy magic armour.

EDIT: Ninja’d by JMR!

rpitts2004:

There is no rule anymore that prevents spellcasting when wearing armour, unlike previous editions of Warhammer which did have such a rule. If Forge World makes a specific exception to such a (non-existent) rule, it's simply because they still seem to live in the world of 7th edition Warhammer.

JMR
This is correct

MLP:

The only thing is that it’s a bit of a waste to swap his armour for anything else as it’s a waste of points really. Most of the effects can be done cheaper or better with different items. The shields are pretty commonly used. Dragonhelm maybe but probably better on someone with a great weapon. Helm of discord probably not going to be too useful on a prophet.

One combo I’ve thought about before but not used is the trickster’s helm & stone mantle with enchanted shield & luckstone or something with the spare 10 points. T6 with the enemy rerolling successful wounds and a 2+ is pretty good for a wizard.

Or similarly the trickster’s helm & dawnstone with enchanted shield. T5 rerolling wounds with a rerollable 2+. Maybe the other trickster’s shard and blood of hashut for a tricksy little bugger!

Nicodemus:

I stand corrected! Thanks for clarifying… guess some parts of my brain are still stuck in older editions!!

Da Crusha:

The only thing is that it's a bit of a waste to swap his armour for anything else as it's a waste of points really. Most of the effects can be done cheaper or better with different items. The shields are pretty commonly used. Dragonhelm maybe but probably better on someone with a great weapon. Helm of discord probably not going to be too useful on a prophet.

One combo I've thought about before but not used is the trickster's helm & stone mantle with enchanted shield & luckstone or something with the spare 10 points. T6 with the enemy rerolling successful wounds and a 2+ is pretty good for a wizard.

Or similarly the trickster's helm & dawnstone with enchanted shield. T5 rerolling wounds with a rerollable 2+. Maybe the other trickster's shard and blood of hashut for a tricksy little bugger!

MLP
you can't combine tricksters helm and enchanted shield, they are both magic armour. and also luckstone and stone mantle cant be used together because they are both talismans.

MLP:

Ah oops, I thought you could have a magic shield along with magic armour. The enchanted shield and luckstone aren’t the important bits of the combo anyway.

thrawn:

There is no rule anymore that prevents spellcasting when wearing armour, unlike previous editions of Warhammer which did have such a rule. If Forge World makes a specific exception to such a (non-existent) rule, it's simply because they still seem to live in the world of 7th edition Warhammer.

JMR
i don't think this is right JMR. i don't have my vampire counts army book in front of me (or the rule book for that matter) but if you look under the army list for the strigoi ghoul king it very specifically states he cannot take magic armour as per the rule of interference? (or something like that). we should double check this.

Thommy H:

Yes, it states he can’t take magic armour because he doesn’t have the option for regular armour. It’s just restating the basic rule, which is called Magical Interference. It’s slightly ironic that this attempt for greater clarity has caused confusion instead…

In past editions, there was a blanket “Wizards can’t use armour” rule. In 7th Edition, this was changed to a rule whereby Wizards were free to take magic armour if they already had access to mundane armour. This was probably because there were so many exceptions to the general rule (Chaos Sorcerers, Vampires, Warrior Priests, etc.) that it was easier to just have a blanket rule that encompassed the traits these models shared rather than give them all a special rule each time.

Nicodemus:

From p500 of the BRB:

MAGICAL INTERFERENCE

It says that Wizards’s cannot choose magical armour unless they have an option for normal armour (they include shield in this category of ‘armour’ as well in this section) in their profile already.

~N

Dang, you beat me to it Thommy… you’re a faster typer than I these days!

rpitts2004:

From p500 of the BRB:
MAGICAL INTERFERENCE
It says that Wizards's cannot choose magical armour unless they have an option for normal armour (they include shield in this category of 'armour' as well in this section) in their profile already.

~N

Dang, you beat me to it Thommy... you're a faster typer than I these days!

Nicodemus
100% correct

thrawn:

but that’s my point guys and why i ask. he doesn’t have the option to take “mundane” armour, he comes standard with a special type of armour that alan bligh went out of his way to state that he can still cast spells when using this armour. to me it leads me to believe that they can use this armour and cast spells, but cannot use any other armour.

however, i don’t want to beat a dead horse here and as the rules in the rule book seem to indicate that daemonsmith and sorcerers can take additional magical armour i guess we’ll leave it as is.

i still don’t think it’s right they can take additional armour and i’ll just play it that way myself i guess.

Thommy H:

The rule is straightforward: if a Wizard has armour as part of their standard equipment, or an option to take it, they can use magic armour. It wouldn’t be the only thing in the LoA list which is a) hung up on a previous edition and b) needlessly reiterated.

Remember Chaos Dwarf spellcasters are users of Chaos magic, and that the Sorcerer Prophet also represents combat Lords from previous Chaos Dwarfs armies as well, so there is a background justification for them being able to use magical armour and weapons.

Chico:

Or someone can just shoot the WF team a email asking this very question and saves this very debate :slight_smile:

And no i’m too lazy too bother, and yes i realise it takes just as much effort typing this post lol :stuck_out_tongue: