[Archive] Cataphractii of Uzkulak

Heavygear:

I’m starting a Chaos Dwarf army. As much as I love the Bull Centaur render models from Forge World, they just aren’t in the budget. So I need an alternative.

Bull Centaurs seem to be a rare blessing bestowed upon only the most faithful of Hashut’s children. So I figured some of the less affluent or more mechanically inclined Dawi Zharr might use the old stand by.

Legend says the Uzkul Dhrath Zharr created the Juggernaughts (Your Welcome Khorne) so I decided to create my own proxy unit for Bull Centaur Renders.

"In the far north at the Zharr stronghold of Uzkulak  there exists a cabal of mercenary warriors known as the  Blackshard Brotherhood. These vicious sell swords have sworn fealty to the Sorcerer Prophet Zhorn Stonebeard. Stonebeard is widely known amongst the Dawi Zharr, Ogre and Human tribes of the north for his gift for binding Daemon spawn into the mechanical creations of his Daemonsmiths.

As payment for plying their bloody trade in his interests Stonebeard has gifted the Blackshard mercenaries with a number particularly powerful Juggernaught mounts. Amongst the ranks of the Blackshard Brotherhood an elite formation of Cataphractii has emerged to chase down and crush their enemies beneath fire wreathed iron hooves."

I converted the skull crushers using some spare Mantic Games dwarf heads and some greenstuff. I cut the mailed boot and stirrup off the legs of the khorne riders. I sculpted a split “skirt” on the each side of the saddle and tucked the cut boot up underneath to simulate stubby dwarf legs. I like how it turned out and when I can afford it I want to add a second unit.

Nicodemus:

I always like seeing Juggernauts being brought back to their Chaos Dwarf roots!! Good start, look forward to seeing these take shape… and they fill out the bases nicely as well!

~N

Zanko:

Great idea and execution! :hat off

I bought last weekend my 1st old Juggernaut to use it a quite similar way - I’m still searching for the right CD riders! :wink:

:hashut

Yodrin:

Looks good, nice work so far!!

Heavygear:

Great idea and execution! :hat off

I bought last weekend my 1st old Juggernaut to use it a quite similar way - I'm still searching for the right CD riders! ;)

Zanko
If you are in to the big hats. I have the original Taurus rider. I could let you have it for a meager price.

Glimpse the Void:

I agree, very cool start. Do have thoughts about your Tarruk yet?

Heavygear:

I agree, very cool start.  Do have thoughts about your Tarruk yet?

Glimpse the Void
Thank you everyone for the positive responses. I have been thinking about a Tarruk. I'm not sure just yet what to do. I need him to be suitably impressive. I'll have to find a good dwarven head to use. I'm open to suggestions.

Zanko:

If you are in to the big hats. I have the original Taurus rider. I could let you have it for a meager price.

Heavygear
If you could see in my blog I like more in the old 3rd edition style guys! But also the models made by Sjoerdo, Baggronor and clam!

I'm not in haste therefore I will search without ruffle or excitement!

Nicodemus:

My only thoughts about the riders is that their torsos don’t look like they’re in particularly ‘dwarfy’ proportions. Maybe that’s just the photos. You could also hide some of that proportion detail with longer beards :wink:

Heavygear:

My only thoughts about the riders is that their torsos don't look like they're in particularly 'dwarfy' proportions. Maybe that's just the photos.  You could also hide some of that proportion detail with longer beards ;)

Nicodemus
Actually the torsos are fine. The arms are slightly long, but its the shoulder pads make them look more bulky. I like it as it makes them look like they are powerful warriors in heavy plate mail instead of bearded hobbits waiting for second breakfast. I'm OK with the shorter beard as it displays the detail on the armor.  If you look at the first edition of the chaos dwarves offered from GW many of them had short beards. What set them apart was the chaos armor they were wearing.