[Archive] CD at games day Italy

Grimstonefire:

Didn’t win anything afaik, but worth double checking when winners are up somewhere.

AGPO:

When something like that fails to place I realise ust how non-existant my chances of a Golden Daemon are.

Blue in VT:

I dunno…the highlighting on that model is WAY too extreme…not everything color needs to be highlighted up to a white point. And, as with most GD entries, it just seems too busy to me…why does there have to be so much going on with figures these days? too many fiddly bits distracts from the overall effect IMO.

Of course I’m an old curmudgon so…take it with a grain of salt.

:hat off

Blue

GRNDL:

Wow, Blue in full on nerdrage. Stand back everyone!

:wink:

Admiral:

The highlights are too extreme at the edges for my taste, but even so it is a great paintjob on the miniature.

rpitts2004:

Yikes harsh words people… I love big high lights ESPECIALLY ON CRIMSON FISTS SPACE MARINES. I can’t sit here and talk crap about someone’s work when most people have even entered into the golden demon. Looks great keep on keeping on!

snowblizz:

I dunno...the highlighting on that model is WAY too extreme...not everything color needs to be highlighted up to a white point.  And, as with most GD entries, it just seems too busy to me...why does there have to be so much going on with figures these days?  too many fiddly bits distracts from the overall effect IMO.

Of course I'm an old curmudgon so...take it with a grain of salt.

Blue

Blue in VT
I was thinking much the same actually. I often think the same about quite a lot of GD entries. There's even sort of a style, I call it "French style painting" mainly because I kept noticing it from French GDs which is very busy and very colourful.

rpitts2004, no one is talking crap. We are commenting and criticising a work of art. Criticism also doesn't necessary mean personally insult someone. You may have noted that it is not a Crimson Fist Space Marine, so I'm not sure how that has any bearing on anything. Also, entering Golden Deamon is not a mark of proficiency anymore than writing "pro-painted" is a guarantee of high quality painting on an eBay auction. I know plenty of people who'd enter GD just because the queue to the GD-GD was much shorter than the regular one.
There is such a thing as painting a model skilfully, but not appropriately.
Clearly the painter is very good at what they do, I particularly like the face, but that doesn't change the fact that the composition as a whole just explodes in my face. I really can't see the mini and what anything on it is supposed to be.
I'm thinking the photography is enhancing the model's drawbacks more than reality, but then again I can only comment on pic as is not as I think it could be.

rpitts2004:

I dunno...the highlighting on that model is WAY too extreme...not everything color needs to be highlighted up to a white point.  And, as with most GD entries, it just seems too busy to me...why does there have to be so much going on with figures these days?  too many fiddly bits distracts from the overall effect IMO.

Of course I'm an old curmudgon so...take it with a grain of salt.

Blue

Blue in VT
I was thinking much the same actually. I often think the same about quite a lot of GD entries. There's even sort of a style, I call it "French style painting" mainly because I kept noticing it from French GDs which is very busy and very colourful.

rpitts2004, no one is talking crap. We are commenting and criticising a work of art. Criticism also doesn't necessary mean personally insult someone. You may have noted that it is not a Crimson Fist Space Marine, so I'm not sure how that has any bearing on anything. Also, entering Golden Deamon is not a mark of proficiency anymore than writing "pro-painted" is a guarantee of high quality painting on an eBay auction. I know plenty of people who'd enter GD just because the queue to the GD-GD was much shorter than the regular one.
There is such a thing as painting a model skilfully, but not appropriately.
Clearly the painter is very good at what they do, I particularly like the face, but that doesn't change the fact that the composition as a whole just explodes in my face. I really can't see the mini and what anything on it is supposed to be.
I'm thinking the photography is enhancing the model's drawbacks more than reality, but then again I can only comment on pic as is not as I think it could be.

snowblizz
Yeah I apologize it was late and didn't fully read the posts!

Bolg:

I wish I could paint like that.

But I do agree with Blue.

loving the base.