[Archive] CD biggest weakness (LoA)?

javi:

Hi there!

I was wondering which is, in your experience, LoA biggest weakness? Until now I have played 7 games with my LoA and I am really struggling in my magic phases. It might be that I still don’t make a good use of Lore of Hashut, or I have been unlucky with Lore of Death, but I always find my opponent magic phases to be much stronger and brain burner than mines. A couple of days ago I have seen in this forums a post about Lore of Metal and I might give it a try on my Prophet. So that is the biggest weakness I have experienced myself, given Im used to play WoC and DE who have much stronger magic phases.

So question stands for you guys, whats our biggest weakness in your experience? What causes you the most damage?

Regards.

Javi.

javi:

Hi there!

I was wondering which is, in your experience, LoA biggest weakness? Until now I have played 7 games with my LoA and I am really struggling in my magic phases. It might be that I still don’t make a good use of Lore of Hashut, or I have been unlucky with Lore of Death, but I always find my opponent magic phases to be much stronger and brain burner than mines. A couple of days ago I have seen in this forums a post about Lore of Metal and I might give it a try on my Prophet. So that is the biggest weakness I have experienced myself, given Im used to play WoC and DE who have much stronger magic phases.

So question stands for you guys, whats our biggest weakness in your experience? What causes you the most damage?

Regards.

Javi.

Samanos:

the fact that almost everything in the list is overpriced.

javi:

Mmh, only core troops are overpriced I think. MC´s, Deathshriekers, K’daais (both), BC are very good troops for their points in my opinion.

Zuh-Khinie:

On the contrary to the above comment, our list is fairly balanced points-wise…

Troops are expensive though, and the fact that we are outnumbered most of the time is our main weakness.

Up 'till now though, I’ve had no problems with any armies I faced.

Baggronor:

Everything is elite and pricey. Hurts when you face things that kill your elite, pricey troops as easily as Goblins (like Dreaded 13th, Foot of Gork, etc) or things that can single out the expensive characters (like Death magic or Hellheart).

No skirmishers is also annoying, but it’s part of the character.

burock:

from what i have experienced until now, i can say these:

- core troops doesnt cut it for us. left at HW&shi, they cant do enough CR. If you give them GWs, their points cost go way above the acceptable level. the shooty options are not worth even considering.

- no scout/reinforcement units. even dwarfs have scouts. A race specialized in slavery should contain scouts in my opinion.

- lack of access to the shadow lore. please dont lamassu me here, will you :slight_smile:

just my two cents…

Method:

from what i have experienced until now, i can say these:

- core troops doesnt cut it for us. left at HW&shi, they cant do enough CR. If you give them GWs, their points cost go way above the acceptable level. the shooty options are not worth even considering.
- no scout/reinforcement units. even dwarfs have scouts. A race specialized in slavery should contain scouts in my opinion.
- lack of access to the shadow lore. please dont lamassu me here, will you :)

just my two cents...

burock
I think being outnumbered is the big problem.
The blunderbusses are good, they hold their points well.
No shadow lore..well we all know it's the best lore, but the lore of hashut has 2 must stop spells. use them early to draw out dispel scrolls.

The Odor:

I would say movement 3… Alot of armies deal with being eliteor dont have great magic phases (though I think we do) but only we and our western kin have such an extensive M 3… Though Imight be grumpy after losing three games in a row to some High Elves… They just danced around my blocks…

javi:

Did you use BC and K’daais against HE? How did they perform?

MLP:

I think the price balance in the list is fine, you can’t compare the price of one model to a similar model in another army because you have to consider how each unit reacts with other units/spells/abilities in it’s own army. The core may seem overcosted at first but for what it does in the LoA it’s priced about right in my opinion. It’s too easy to say something is priced incorrectly in any given situation.

I’ve not found a particular weakness in any battles I’ve had that couln’t have been solved with better tactics, luck or a different list choice. Although I have more often than not found that magic is not as affective as I would like it to be, but for a Lord that is about 40/60 combat/magic that’s probably to be expected.

I don’t find the lack of Shadow a problem at all having the Lore of Hashut and the other Lores is fine giving plenty of options against all armies.

Although I don’t often use core with any extra weapon choices I don’t think they are a weakness, in the right place each weapon choice is viable and Blunderbusses are heavily underestimated by most people. A unit of 24 BB Infernals with Castellan is an almost impossible block to get points from if you protect it against magic, and can often cause a lot of damage and/or hold up tough enemy units for the whole game.

As Burock said a lack of scouts could be considered a weakness(can’t fast cav wolf raiders scout or something though?), but I’ve never felt a need for them in any battles I’ve had. Being an elite army you don’t want units all over the place. Wolf Raiders that could reinforce would be nice though for sneaky flank charges.

Thing that’s caused me the most damage was when a horde of mindrazored elf spearmen annialated my block of Infenals with BSB and General. But that was probably my fault.

nilbog:

Some units are overcosted, some are undercosted, some are just right. Overall, as long as you don’t take an army that has all overcosted units then you’ll be okay.

Chaos dwarfs are an elite army. That means we will usually be outnumbered (even against high elves, chaos warriors and dwarfs it can happen) and so deployment becomes a key factor in the ability to win battles. As long as you deploy carefully and thoughtfully, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Chaos dwarfs can’t rely on magic like other races can (e.g. high elves with book of hoeth or silver wand, dwarfs with multiple dispel scrolls), sheer combat ability (warriors) or dirty tricks (dark elves with pendant/crown/peg) but they are fairly solid and it’s hard to take VPs of them.

Possibly the biggest weakness (as I see it) is that you have to take a level 4 sorcerer-prophet - there are no other lord choices. I’m following the hero only discussion with interest to see if doing without one is possible.

Wolf raiders can’t scout, but they are fast cavalry and can make a vanguard move.

JonJon:

I think it are lack of  long ranged weapons for the core, I played a couple of scenarios against skaven ,and was pummeled ,also  the lore of hashut if you don’t get ash storm

The Odor:

Did you use BC and K'daais against HE? How did they perform?

javi
My BCs had a quick case of critical existance failure from a Pit of Shades and I dont have any fireborns since I want to try out all units in the book. I had quite a bit of unluck but I still feel movement three is a big deal.

Discoking:

Biggest weakness for me:

Carrying a massive feck off book around wherever I take my stunties.

I used GW infernals the other day. Not great tbh.

Then again, I deployed like a retard & got flanked by mournfang.

Deployment is key, as mentioned earlier.

Splitting up your opponents army is a good idea usually.

Throwing a Purple sun at them, even if it doesn’t hit,

Is enough for people to think twice about moving.

javi:

Hahaha! Yeah, I agree about the book, I already go overloaded with boxes and now also I must carry a bag for Tamurkhan alone!

I’m following the hero only discussion with interest to see if doing without one is possible.
Me too, this is something I am willing to consider, as I already said, my Prophet has never returned a healthy quantity of points to me, and he’s well over 400 points. I might have to change it into a combat mage to make it shine…who knows.

Javi.

MLP:

I used GW infernals the other day. Not great tbh.
Then again, I deployed like a retard & got flanked by mournfang.
That'll do it!

The biggest weakness of any army is the man commanding them.
I might have to change it into a combat mage to make it shine...who knows.
I think it's the only way to get your worth from the Prophet. I treat him like a high end combat hero and he comes out alright and can occasionally be awesome with a good roll for his weapon.

Marduk:

Our biggest weakness is that we have fewer units and how this affects our deployment. For us it is even worse than for other elite armies because we must deploy all our warmachines in the same deployment turn.

I played a tournament last week. My army had 4 turns to deploy. My opponents had 6 or 7, so I had to be extremely careful. We don’t have to be smarter than our opponents when it comes to deployment, we have to be MUCH smarter.

Discoking:

Well as we know that deployment is our main weakness;

I declare that someone should right an article on the best way to deploy.

We have one on the most typical LoA list, so how to deploy against each army would make a very exciting read. For me at least.

javi:

I second that!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.