[Archive] CD questions

Gilzam:

Well I’m asking for advice for the umpteenth time :~

I have three questions to ask so can you please help me with them and put your opinions for me to see.

1#

Is it possible to create an effective Chaos Dwarf force without slaves? I say this because I love CD but dont like using greenskins or anything that isnt a CD. Example lists would be nice at any points value.

2#

Would a sit back shooty army CD work? If so whats the basic outline of one? 2000 - 2250pts

3#

Is a Sorc Lord on a lammasu any good? And if you had one how would you use it?

Cheers in advance fellow CDfer’s :cheers

metro_gnome:

1. not really… the army is a horde and suffers above 2K without green… it can be vaible at 1K…

2) sure does… but you gotta take out all the stops… 2 ES, 8 BTs… and like no friends…

3) NO… it makes a good paper weight…

Malificant:

you need some green i find, but i get by with a minimum:

lord on taurus or Bull centaur lord

CD hero BSB of bull centaur hero

2x lvl 2 w/ stone/scroll

2x BB units(either 14 or 19 strong)

1x warrior unit(23 or 24 strong)

2x 10 hobgob wolves-i find fast cav to be a neccessity. too ubiquitus to leave home without.

4 bolt throwers-at MINIMUM u need green for these cheap beauties.

1 death rocket

10 arrer boyz to act a gaurds or another death rocket

10 bull centaurs w/ command

earthshaker or another unit of bull centaurs.

minimum slave involvement, minimum horde mentality. makes a pretty decent 2250 list.

Uzkul Werit:

It is easy enough to make a solid list with only a smattering of green. Armies with lots of greenskins work well too but if you find that you end up using more Hobgoblins than Chaos Dwarfs, you’re better off using the Orcs army book. In 3000pts my Greenskins are a few Bolt Throwers, three cheap Slave units and some Wolfboyz. The Dawi Zharr should be the primary core of the list.

A shooting army again works but its very, very dull to play against. Eight bolt throwers, two Earthshakers and tons of power dice.

Gilzam:

Thanks for the replies guys, has made me think about my army list, I had started to have more greenskins than CD and it was looking like a weird Orc and Goblin variant armylist.

I like your armylist Malificant thank you kindly for the example, I will make something along those lines :cheers

The reason I wanted to know about the Lammasu is that I have started a conversion of a model to represent it, it is a massive flying rock leaking molten larva, made out of polysterne (can’t spell) and paper mache on a flying tube with a square hole on top for my sorc to sit in so I can remove him if the rock dies, little bits of stone are seperated off the main with other clear flying tubes. It’s a bit dissapointing to know that its better used as a paper weight and as mine is polysterene (spelling :~) it is likely that a slight draft might blow my Lammasu (rock) over, much like anything that fires in the Warhammer world.

Malificant:

i love the conversion idea! however, experience has taught me not to use the flying bases. use wire instead. you can get the same amount of strength and place primed wire is less noticable than the flying bases. also you can get more dynamic positioning of the sattilite rocks.

cornixt:

To put simply, no, no, and no.

For more elaboration:

1) Above 1K it gets difficult. You can do pretty well with just hobgoblin slaves and represent them with something non-green.

2) Not really. There isn’t much variety if you don’t use greenskins. since they are the only ones with any ranged shots that aren’t stone throwers.

3) Use it as a taurus, much more useful!

Gilzam:

Where can you find wire good enough to do this aka whereabouts can you find it, as you are right, I have had problems with these tubes before aka snapping off in the model and not being able to get it out again :mad

btw anyone know how much 40 Oglah Khans wolfboyz would cost me and any statergies to get 'em cheap (I already have enough wolves)?

Malificant:

go to either the hardware store or your local hobby shop and look around for brass rod. that stuff is so usefull, i use it to pin things and as a wire base.

catbarf:

Well I'm asking for advice for the umpteenth time :~

I have three questions to ask so can you please help me with them and put your opinions for me to see.

Gilzam
Sure, I'll bite.
1#
Is it possible to create an effective Chaos Dwarf force without slaves? I say this because I love CD but dont like using greenskins or anything that isnt a CD. Example lists would be nice at any points value.

Gilzam
Well, the non-chaotic stunties do fine, but I think that since we have access we might as well use them. The thing that the CDs lack is effective mid-range fire. We've got artillery and blunderbusses, but nothing that can shoot back at Thunderers. This is where slaves are most useful.
2#
Would a sit back shooty army CD work? If so whats the basic outline of one? 2000 - 2250pts

Gilzam
Hell yes. Earthshakers are incredibly powerful, and Death Rockets are mildly useful as well. The best thing to do is combine the BBs and the Earthshakers- something like this:

What you do is you get BBs to 8" away from enemy troops. Then you Earthshaker them. Now, if they're M4, they're slowed to 2" per turn. They can't charge because they aren't close enough, and they can't march because they're within 8". You can turn around for 1/4 of your move, scoot 1.5", and then turn back around for the last 1/4. Then fire the BBs. If you can keep doing this every turn, the enemy will be:
1. Getting shot by an Earthshaker
2. Getting shot by BBs
3. Getting 1/2" closer per turn

So he's pretty much screwed. Even if you accidentally catch your BBs in the Earthshaker's AoE, the enemy will still only get 1.25" closer per turn. The enemy will NOT survive.

Even against cavalry, you can half their movement and still be able to get two good rounds of shooting plus stand and shoot when they charge. While lining it up can be tricky, a smallish unit of slaves (or Warriors in a pinch) can draw them into the desired position.

Because of the extreme contrast between CD shooting types, they work very well. Artillery can reach out and force you to come closer, and then the BBs blast anything that comes near. The only issue are enemy ranged infantry- but Bull Centaurs (or Earthshakers) kill them quickly.
3#
Is a Sorc Lord on a lammasu any good? And if you had one how would you use it?

Gilzam
Nope. Sorry. However, I do recommend a Lord on Great Taurus.
Cheers in advance fellow CDfer's :cheers

Gilzam
We're happy to help.

Edit: w00t, 200th post.