[Archive] CDO Groups

AGPO:

Xander and I were thinking of how we could make better use of the groups function on this site. Any ideas

[size=xx-large]900 posts!![/size]

Xander:

Indeed, a brainstorm session would be fun.

It could simply be Hats, Helms, or Masks… or something more significant.

Staying on theme would be nice.

Congrats on 900 posts man! 100 more and you get a custom title, if you want one. :slight_smile:

wallacer:

What exactly is the “groups function”?

Pyro Stick:

Im thinking it has something to do with the thing below your avatar that says Registered beside it.

Grimstonefire:

What would be be the purpose of these groups??

Just a show of where your interest lies?

wallacer:

I’m guessing they assign rights in the same way as Windows or Novell groups do.

But what would the groups actually allow you to do?

Or are they purely cosmetic?

Willmark:

I’m perplexed as well. Point of said groups? It sgot to be something worth while we dont want to junk the sit up unnecessarily.

Pyro Stick:

The group funstion is allready there so it wouldnt junk up the site more. It just doesn thave much of a point now apart from to show registered members, mods and admins

Hammerhand:

Just for brain storming idea: How about kind of social groups:

You could have 3/4 different groups and people have to apply to join the ‘gang’ by posting on an ‘initiation’ thread. Members of the group they apply for can then have an internal ballot to see if they are allowed to join - or could have like a test or something e.g. post a fully painted BFSP CD conversion to join the ‘convertors group’ paint up a classic big hat to join the ‘traditionalists’ group or say something irrelevant but funny to join the ‘Spamtastic’ group, reach 200 posts to join the ‘CDO Junkies’ group etc…

After they have joined, there could be threads available that only members of that group (and admin of course) can access. Have in-house elections for positions of power within the group (head/spokesman/slaver…) It could then generate inter group competitions/quizes and that sort of thing. Say the winner of Golden Hat 4 wins 1000 slaves for his group, to be split evenly by all it’s members! Kudos to the group that has the highest total slaves and that kind of sketch.

It could be really cool!

Ghrask Dragh:

Theres some really good ideas there HH!

I like the tests for initiation and the painters, traditionalists and spamtastic groups etc. CDO junkies sounds like a good one. The idea to share slaves from comps is also pretty cool.

I’m not sure about seperate threads for only themselves though, this sort of thing would be just for fun and shouldn’t really isolate or cut-off other members too much, I know that was not your intention but it might happen, we wouldn’t want anyone to feel left out of such a great community after all.

It would be good to create some form of benefit to each group though, just a case of what…

wallacer:

I’m not altogether sure if it would be a good idea for the groups to be like guilds.

There is the risk that if they were they could become cliques the exclusion from which would just result in resentment.

Hammerhand:

I'm not altogether sure if it would be a good idea for the groups to be like guilds.
There is the risk that if they were they could become cliques the exclusion from which would just result in resentment.

wallacer
Hmmm. We could then just simply have the entry criteria method, so if you wanted to join whatever faction, you just did their initiation and there is no vote then, you're just one of them

Another idea for a faction:- sneaky gitz faction, who are secret members who are allowed to join other factions, and pm in secret to discuss evil plans!

wallacer:

Hmmm.��We could then just simply have the entry criteria method, so if you wanted to join whatever faction, you just did their initiation and there is no vote then, you're just one of them

Hammerhand
I wonder what the entry criteria are for Administrator and Moderator ;)
Another idea for a faction:- sneaky gitz faction, who are secret members who are allowed to join other factions, and pm in secret to discuss evil plans!

Hammerhand
lol. Or perhaps a Sorceror group that can openly join any other group they damned well please and order them to do things.

I suspect we're spending way too much time thinking about this...

Xander:

Ya, I’d rather encourage closeness of members instead of separation… :confused:

Normally the groups are just for Forum Permissions. Admin, Mods, Members, Banned, etc.

Willmark:

My vote is for don’t to anything. I agree there is no need to split us up further especially when one of the appeals of this site is the openess. Last thing we want is for it to be exclusionary.

wallacer:

I’ll second that.

At most it should say “hat”, “mask” or “helm” simply to indicate what our prefernce is on CD figures, and just leave it at that.

Malificant:

what about our native gaming group? for example i am part of the WWHFB: Wisconsin Warhammer Fantasy Battles. it could give people some idea of what kind of gaming community people are associated with. im only familiar with ones in the midwest US: adeptus windy city, the warbringers, wwhfb, marauders, etc.

Hammerhand:

Ya, I'd rather encourage closeness of members instead of separation... :/

Normally the groups are just for Forum Permissions.��Admin, Mods, Members, Banned, etc.

Xander
What generates closeness more than a team mentality and friendly cometition? but you're right, human nature tends to get in the way of that!!#

Maybe the group could be like a Level - You get Level 1 for say, being a member for a certain length of time. Level 2 is say, when you have posted a completed model in the Golden Hat, level 3 when you have reached a certain number of posts, Level 4 when you have posted a certain number of points of CDs in the showcase, Lv 5 when you sacrifice 700 slaves and so on.��Each level grants a certain amount of slaves, Badges of recognition etc. And you're only able to get the next level once you have completed the previous ones, even if you have done something that allows you to get the level after.

Any ideas on what we can use the slaves for?��I think they would be a fun wager if we had an arena of death style thread.

wallacer:

I guess the groups could be used to indicate what Nationality we are.

The level idea is not bad either (although would involve some scripting).

Malificant:

then what is the point of reputation function?