[Archive] Chaos Armour

DeathRocketeer:

Looking through posts here there seems to be a consensus (and I agree) that Chaos Dwarfs should have a 4+ save armour ala Gromril, Full Plate, and Chaos Armour.

I have seen various incarnations of this in member designed army lists such as Black Plate, Stone Armour, and even Chaos Armour.

Personally I feel like Chaos Armour is most appropriate since Chaos Dwarfs seem to make the stuff for WoC armies, but also seems inappropriate since (I think) Chaos Armour is supposed to fuse with the wearer’s body.

Can anybody think of a way to reconcile this in a fluffy way?

cornixt:

The newer fluff seems to says there are many occasions when it doesn’t fuse with the body

Thommy H:

Yep. Since the WoC book says that the Chaos Dwarfs physically forge the stuff and sell it to Chaos Warriors, it’s probably a safe assumption that it doesn’t necessarily become part of the wearer’s body now. I would think that exposure to the Realm of Chaos might cause that to happen, but assuming Chaos Dwarfs wearing Chaos Armour don’t hang around near the north pole, there’s probably no risk of it happening.

Grimstonefire:

I asked this very question over at Cotec.

The answer seemed to be that Chaos Armour can be removed, but only through great force of will (for a mortal human).  I would argue that Chaos Dwarfs have much greater will power than silly manlings, so it would be easier for them to remove it.

There is also the issue of ‘Chaos Armour’ and armour made for chaos. Not necessarily the same thing, I’m sure the CD would also make boring old iron armour for the cheapskate lords.

Incidently somebody (not sure if on here or Cotec) suggested that the CD only make basic armour and it’s a combination of the mind of the wearer and the mind of the god that fuse the armour into specific shapes.

I’m more inclined to say that the CD would make highly elaborate armour, possibly even including chaotic/ daemonic features to scare people, but it wouldn’t be actual Chaos Armour.

On a rules note I’m still not convinced 4+/ 3+ AS CD warriors is balanced.  Save it for special IMO.

two_heads_talking:

I’d suggest the fusing of chaos armor to a mortal is more to do with where they live and how possessed/obssessed they are with their god. Since Chaos Dwarfs believe they are themselves gods, it makes sense that they can take off the armor. Call the chaos armor fusing just another blessing from the gods of chaos…

tetnis:

I have to agree with two heads. Also, if they forged it they could doubtless figure out some way to stop the fusing due to how inconvenient it would be.

DeathRocketeer:

Thanks guys, so it sounds like if you wanted to give Chaos Dwarfs ‘Chaos Armour’ in a custom list you could as long as you addressed the fluff appropriately.

Grimstone, as to CD Warriors having Chaos Armour, I would agree that they probably shouldn’t have it, best to leave them analogous to Dwarf Warriors. However, I could see them or a custom Core Chaos Dwarf unit have a one time special upgrade to Chaos Armour, making them a special choice, ala Chaos Warriors. That’s how Chaos Warriors work correct?

Swissdictator:

I wonder if it could also be a devious trick on our part? The Chaos armor we build for WoC is designed to do that, either with malicious intent or by request, where we intentionally design ours to not do that.

It could be an amusing back story.

Thommy H:

I seriously don’t think it matters. It doesn’t need a reason not to become part of the wearer’s body any more, because the WoC book says that that only happens sometimes, through exposure to the warping power of Chaos. In fact, the blurb about it is included with the Exalted Hero entry, suggesting that it’s a Gift reserved for mighty Champions, not just every random guy wearing Chaos Armour.

I gave Chaos Armour to Zhatan the Black in my Word of Hashut rules without any explanation anyway. You don’t need to twist the fluff into ridiculous shapes and make it bend over backwards to justify stuff like that.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

What if the armour is designed to be corrupt BY the CD’s so that they can eventually control all races who wear it? Think about it. Armour that can’t be removed. It’s Enslavement on a new level! :smiley:

Groznit Goregut:

If/When we get a new army list, I was thinking we have to have some Special Units that have better armor. I’m not sure if it would be chaos armor or gromril armor, but something should be there. I don’t see regular chaos dwarfs with anything better than heavy.

I also wonder about Core having heavy armor. In the Dwarf book, the Core warrior starts with light armor and the ability to upgrade to heavy. Do you think CD’s would get that? Would we want it? It might make Core units a bit cheaper.

I like having war machine crew that has heavy armor.

snowblizz:

If/When we get a new army list, I was thinking we have to have some Special Units that have better armor.  I'm not sure if it would be chaos armor or gromril armor, but something should be there.  I don't see regular chaos dwarfs with anything better than heavy.

I also wonder about Core having heavy armor.  In the Dwarf book, the Core warrior starts with light armor and the ability to upgrade to heavy.  Do you think CD's would get that?  Would we want it?  It might make Core units a bit cheaper.  

I like having war machine crew that has heavy armor.

Groznit Goregut
Dwarf warriors start with heavy armour.

Ubertechie:

It would be a good difference between us and regular dwarfs if our warriors came as standard with Chaos Army - I imagine that in CD Culture slaves are used to do the majority of the fighting then the warriors come in afterwards as there are few CD’s and virtually limitless slaves. In this sort of set-up it makes sense for our warriors to be well protected - even more so than regular normal dwarf warriors

Groznit Goregut:

Dwarf warriors start with heavy armour.

snowblizz
Incorrect.

Dwarf Warriors start with hand weapon and light armor for 7pts. You can upgrade them to heavy armor for +1 pt.

Skitter:

I believe you have the older version of the dwarf army book.

In the current one, released in 2005, they start at 8pts with heavy armour. It is true though, that in the older one from early 6th ed. they were 7pts with light armour, and heavy as an upgrade option.

TwilightCo:

To reference a one of my favorite Chaos Armor (and I am a fan of it for unit upgrade) examples we need to look at “Storm of Iron” (Graham McNeill).  A champion of Khorne has daemonic power armor that has the appearance or (regular) chaos power armor, however the inside looked like an open wound.  I believe it was implied that the fleshy insides would enter the champions body threw his conductor ports, thus becoming part of him albeit temporarily. Granted, the armor was also sentient, but the idea is there.  

In any other instances I can recall off the cuff, the armor either did or didn’t.  I think it was a mutation in “Slaves to Darkness” as well.

Cheers!

PS: Actually, it states that “Chaos Armor can fuse with the champion who receives it, increasing his Toughness by one.”

BilboBaggins:

T5 Chaos Dwarfs, Yes Please.