[Archive] Chaos Dwarf APC

Grimstonefire:

As this potentially covers a lot of sections of the forum I thought best to put it here.

I’ve been reading in Daemonslayer how a Dwarf had his engineers build some armoured transports based on enclosed steam engines.

For those unfamiliar with the story a few of these attempt to travel to Karag Dum, the lost Dwarf fortress which has been swallowed by the wastes.  The transports were attacked and very few managed to get out of there alive (Gotrek being one of them).

Anyhow, it got me wondering how practical something like this would be for CD.

Clearly they have the technical skill to build such things, plus they are not held back by traditions.  So they could make them in sufficient numbers to realistically be fairly common on a battlefield.

Thoughts, fluff/rule/modelling wise?

Skink:

…Aren’t you talking about a massive Iron Daemon?

RichardC1967:

...Aren't you talking about a massive Iron Daemon?

Skink
I think he's talking about an armored transport vehicle..not a warmachine per se.(Perhaps something that can move troops quickly around the battlefield to key positions)

Skink:

Yeah, what I mean is that a tractor steam engine is already in the fluff. I can see a vehicle a la Iron Daemon carry troops.

Da Crusha:

Yeah, what I mean is that a tractor steam engine is already in the fluff. I can see a vehicle a la Iron Daemon carry troops.

Skink
+1 that is the first thing I imagined.

Blackspine:

the hardest question for this proposed unit/ idea is; troop deployment.

How could they be deployed? Would they come out of the rear then charge in move phase?

would they use it like a ‘howdah’?

would they deploy then charge?

I could see some fun rules being based off a toned back Iron Demon. A d3 impact hit and d3 grind attacks for the transport. Option to upgrade small scale weapons.

But really, this makes it too 40k-ish.

Skink:

the hardest question for this proposed unit/ idea is; troop deployment.

How could they be deployed? Would they come out of the rear then charge in move phase?
would they use it like a 'howdah'?
would they deploy then charge?

I could see some fun rules being based off a toned back Iron Demon. A d3 impact hit and d3 grind attacks for the transport. Option to upgrade small scale weapons.

But really, this makes it too 40k-ish.

Blackspine
Yeah damn true. Is going to be extremely tough to make embark/disembark rules in Warhammer Fantasy. A howdah would work better. But than again it's not going to be that original given all the new "howdah monsters" that are appearing in 8th edition...

Blackspine:

a nifty fix could be as an add on to the Iron demon.

think of it as a cart pulled. The crew of the Cart (Ironsworn) can disembark and charge in any direction.

Each cart could hold 10 Ironsworn, up to 3 carts on a I.D.

That’s about as simple as I can get. But the matter is that this might get as convoluted and absurd as the WHFB assaulting building rules…which is a bit nutso.

Skink:

Mh, I don’t know. The whole thing is going to be terribly effective gamewise.

Imagine an almost-impossible-to-stop tractor engine. Said engine is giving protection to (already) heavily armored troops and bringing them to the front pretty fast.

Abecedar:

I like the idea of a carraige load of blunderbusses getting draged to the front lines

Marduk:

Great idea!

I think they could disembark and even charge only in the direction they are facing. They could reform on the vehicle while it moves, getting ready to jump on the following turn. It would require good planning to use effectively.

furrie:

You could make it a moveable building and just use the rules for entering and leaving a building.

Ugly Green Trog:

I love the idea of a mobile blunderbuss platform actually something akin to forgeworlds dreadquake carriage only full of Dawi Zharr with blunderbusses!

Nicodemus:

I don’t know that it’s too 40K-ish. If we can accept that the Dwarfs and Empire have steam engines and black powder, and that the Chaos Dwarfs have access to all of this as well as magic and the ability to bind living daemons into machines, there’s room for a wide scope of things.

Give the size of the Darklands and the slow pace of travel on foot (not to mention being a short-legged Chaos Dwarf) it would make sense they’d have some form of expedited transportation within their own lands.

The DQM carriage carrying blunderbusses was an early concept that FW had which they later dropped, but if the Steam Carriage rules were ammended and a troop carrier was added which could carry a unit, it could be very effective for moving troops deep into the battlefield quickly and then dumping them there.  In rules terms, if it’s a covered/enclosed troop transport, like a boxcar with slits for shooting from, the crew could be considerably protected (albeit trapped).

This page is 40K-related, but some good inspiration for terrain and APC-type things :wink:

~N