[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Codex Performance?

Valrim:

Cool! So we finally have a codex! I’ve been out of the loop due to poverty for a little over a year now. I have a few questions that I was unable to find answers to in the searches I performed here.

How does the new codex play?

It is tournament legal?

And holy cow! The forge world minis are amazing! Saving up to get the Throne of Chaos book now for sure!

Samanos:

Cool! So we finally have a codex! I've been out of the loop due to poverty for a little over a year now. I have a few questions that I was unable to find answers to in the searches I performed here.

How does the new codex play?

It is tournament legal?

And holy cow! The forge world minis are amazing! Saving up to get the Throne of Chaos book now for sure!

Valrim
it is tournament legal (in most big tourneys anyway).
as for teh playstyle, well each player has his own..

gIL^:

The book is pretty solid, The best? Not by a long shot but is very unique.

Willmark:

Probably falls mid tier. Definitely not high powered.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Tournament legal is ALWAYS dependent upon tournament. I will say not most big ones because to me, the GW run ones are the big ones and it’s not allowed there (although with pestering,t hey my include it next year).

nilbog:

It’s tournament legal if the tournament organiser allows it.

In terms of performance, i’m doing as well with it as I did with my high elves, i.e. not as good as daemons, as good as normal dwarfs, better than ogres

eudaimon:

What is a codex? I thought we had an Army List in the Throne of Chaos. Weird.

Anyway, to the other question, I think it depends where and how you play your Warhammer. In Oz, CD are probably an upper tier army list, pretty strong overall. But the scene here has a lot of generally accepted house rules, LOS for all characters against dreaded 13th, max 12 power dice in any phase and so on.

Basically Magma Cannon and Death Shrieker are awesome, the Destroyer is brokenly good, the rest is average or points expensive. But the three things mentioned are what makes the difference.