[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Crossbowman WIP sculpt

AtomTaylor:

Started working on a Chaos Dwarf Crossbowman yesterday. This is the WIP result of two days work. I went for the easy option and used my pre cast Chaos Dwarf Axeman sculpt, as the basis for this conversion. I’m thinking of adding a skull motif and rivets to the shoulder plate. His beard will be longer and will flow up both sides. I’ve already added long hair at the back of the helmet. Should complete him tomorrow. My own version of a Chaos Mortar and crew are next on the list.

Admiral:

Solid sculpt. Just like with GW’s custom of using cast metal bodies from one sculpt to modify and create another figure in the same release batch (especially Necromunda gangs), the easy option work well here. Should you ever sell some casts of that CD crossbowman, shout it out on CDO please. I’d very much like to have a small bunch of those crossbowmen, particularly because of the distinct look achieved by the helmet spike.

Oh, and though it’s wholly irrelevant to Chaotic miniatures since looks matter more to them, it just occured to me that the great axedwarf can’t swing his axe overhead particularly well with that helmet spike in the way. :wink:

Jackswift:

Very nicely done! The sculpt and pose is very reminiscent and characterful in the vein of the old Chaos Dwarf Renegade models.

AtomTaylor:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.I should have them cast next month. I let you know when they’re available. :wink:

Abecedar:

good work you are doing.

AtomTaylor:

Thanks Abecedar. :wink:

Spent a ridiculous amount of time on this Chaos Dwarf.I used my original Chaos Dwarf Axeman sculpt as a basis to create this variant.

Almost complete, just needs a bit of final work on the Crossbow and bolt-bag. A button and clasp need adding. :wink:

Abecedar:

Its the time spent on details that make good work. I know I haven’t the patience or the skill to achieve what you are doing

Hill_Billy_Bub:

I really like what you did with it. I can’t wait to see what you do with the mortar and team.

Admiral:

Its the time spent on details that make good work.  I know I haven't the patience or the skill to achieve what you are doing

Abecedar
Indeed!

Would you like to sculpt a sheathed knife on the Chaos Dwarf? It's necessary equipment. ;)

AtomTaylor:

Thanks guys.Good idea Admiral,he needs a melee weapon (even though he has a spear tip on the end of his crossbow).

A small Axe or knife it is. :wink:

AtomTaylor:

Got a little more work completed today.Hope to finish him tomorrow and add the melee weapon.

Started another two sculpts. Just have the boots and lower areas roughed out.

Admiral:

Looking good! Neat to see you add a melee weapon. It always buggers the mind when you see well-sculpted miniatures without obvious equipment. That would include shooters without melee weapons whatsoever, miniatures without some kind of knife, and not least the new Dark Elf crossbowmen without quivers for their bolts.

Jackswift:

Another great model. I’ll definitely be looking for these when they are done. The little details like the beltpouch add alot to the model. +1 for the melee weapon.

Fuggit Khan:

AtomTaylor
Very nice! Bonus points to you for the added strap and buckle details on the back pouch. I love details like that, it brings the model to life :hat off

Admiral:

Indeed! I know it’s too late for that and I know the original 3rd edition Chaos Dwarfs didn’t have it, but if you ever would be interested in pushing the realism details that bit further, consider sculpting indented lines into armour plates on the torso and limbs in the future to mark where different pieces of plate meet, plus armour straps. Besides adding belieavability to a fantasy miniature, it provides low-tech details to set it apart from shiny sleek science-fiction armour with hidden/internal joints and plate connections.

AtomTaylor:

A big thank you guys, your tips and inspiration has pushed me to add those extra details.

Its been a busy week for me, but I did manage to get another round of green pushing in.

Should be completed tomorrow.

Admiral:

Now that’s details to be proud of! Well done, AtomTaylor. I hope it casts well in the mould, because the crossbowman is a great sculpt!

Helblindi:

Whaah! Those tiny skulls look insanely hard to make. Come to think about it, all the other details do too. Old school dwarfs are not exactly my style, but man, that is a nice sculpt!

AtomTaylor:

Thanks chums.Chaos Dwarf number two completed and ready for the mould.

WIP on Chaos Dwarf 3, 4 and 5. Five is just a pair of armoured boots at them mo. :wink:

Jackswift:

Nice sculpting! I like the mustachios and goatee style beard so far on 3. He’s lacking the breadth of shoulders that 1 and 2 have and currently seems to be a stylistic departure from the heavy armor on the first two models. Granted this is a WIP, so that comment may be completely irrelevant.

The older style models that you are harkening to have quite a bit of variation in size and width as well, so it definitely still works from that point of view. Looking forward to seeing the final model.