[Archive] Chaos Dwarf funerary rites

Dînadan:

An idea I had while writing the ‘Midwives of Hashut’ fluff piece; what are the funerary rites for Chaos Dwarfs? We know that sorcerer’s who succumb to the Curse get used as statues, but what about everyone else?

The idea I had when writing the Midwife fluff piece was, to help set them apart from vanilla dwarfs, instead of tombs like vanilla dwarfs have Chaos Dwarfs practice cremation and that for them a great insult would be to not be cremated with the proper ceremony in the same way vanilla dwarfs would be horrified to find a dwarf whose corpse hadn’t been interred in the family mausoleum (or failing that given a proper burial).

What do people think?

torn:

that makes a lot of sense to me. Cremation is probably right for a chaos dwarf. cremation without ceremony for slaves probably, either just dumped into lava pits, or some kind of crazy body recycling plant like in judge dredd.

Dînadan:

I think burning dead slaves is a waste of good meat - the living slaves have got to get protein from somewhere :wink:

Heck, Chaos Dwarfs themselves need a source of meat from somewhere, and large parts of the Dark Lands aren’t arable so they may set aside choice slaves, fatten them up then eat them.

MadHatter:

I think burning dead slaves is a waste of good meat - the living slaves have got to get protein from somewhere ;)

Heck, Chaos Dwarfs themselves need a source of meat from somewhere, and large parts of the Dark Lands aren't arable so they may set aside choice slaves, fatten them up then eat them.

Dînadan
Cremation of important dead in the flames of the Temple of Hashut sound right to me and I agree we eat the slaves :cheers

Admiral:

As fire-obsessed worshippers of a fire-bull god cremation is the way to go for upright-standing members of Chaos Dwarf society. It sets them apart from ordinary Dwarfs, and opens the possibility for disgraced individuals to be ritually eaten or facing similarly dishonourable funerary rites. Slaves would always get eaten, and putrid corpses wouldn’t be touched by Chaos Dwarfs but shuffled in as menu for the unlucky sods who are the living slaves.

Good thread, Dînadan. :cheers

Dînadan:

Heck, Chaos Dwarfs themselves need a source of meat from somewhere, and large parts of the Dark Lands aren't arable so they may set aside choice slaves, fatten them up then eat them.

Dînadan
I've just had the image of Hansel and Grettal - some slaves being worked to the bone, while others sit idly by not realising they're getting fattened up for food, lol