[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Glossary

Ancient History:

The latest of the wiki efforts is the kind of sparse [[Chaos Dwarf Glossary]] - this could have been (and still could be) fairly expanded if you include terms like grobi, urki, ogri, etc. but for the nonce I wanted to keep it simple and straight to the source material without quoting massive parts of the Khazalid dictionary. Thoughts, opinions?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’m not sure Khazalid terms are necessary. Maybe make note that Dawi Zharr use Khazalid and it’s on page x of the Dwarf book (or at least online).

Ancient History:

Yeah, I was debating it…but the fact is that the latest Dwarf books don’t have sections on Khazalid and the website article only has a small portion of the language.

cornixt:

There is bound to be a good resource for it somewhere (Bugman’s?).  The GW website has as much as the old Dwarf book (it is probably the same article): http://uk.games-workshop.com/dwarfs/language/1/

Ancient History:

Well, good arguments and the page is deleted with appropriate pointers in place.

Hashut’s Blessing:

It is the same article and that’s all of the Dwarfen language that’s ever been revealed to my knowledge.

Grimstonefire:

Any Khazalid terms you need I’ll be more than happy to provide.  I have a copy of Grudgelore and Stone and Steel, so that’s all the existing ones covered.

Note that both those books contain more words than the link above.

I’m a bit confused by what you are looking for though Ancient History?  There is no such thing as an ‘official’ Chaos Dwarf lexicon/ glossary.  So trying to use official source material is impossible…?

It would be possible to create words based on existing Khazalid? Or to use as many of the existing words the DWARFS use for things as possible?

I think the Chaos Dwarfs would use something similar to Khazalid, but it would not be exactly the same.

Ancient History:

Let me rehash: in a fit of temporary madness I made up a Chaos Dwarf Glossary page to address the Chaos Dwarf-related terms that are obviously of Khazalid origin (such as Mingol Zharr-Naggrund). However, the list was fairly short, as most Chaos Dwarf place-names are in regular English (British or American as the case may be), so I nixed the page and just linked to the article, which while incomplete is generally sufficient.

Hashut’s Blessing:

GSF, if you happen to have a digital copy of the terminology, I’d happily receive it :wink: Otherwise, no worries.

According to WHFRP: Old World Bestiary, they use Khazalid. However, I like to think of it as English being Khazalid and American-English being Chaos dwarf Khazalid. I.E. A bastardised and colloquialised version of the original language.

Grimstonefire:

@HB

I’ll get back to you on the first point.

I think the CD would have a lot of words to describe slaves, and the treatment thereof. Maybe even hundreds of words, much as the Dwarfs have for gold. We’d also have hundreds of words for gold and other gems

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thanks and I agree. Like I said, it would be a colloquial version. If they need to specify different slave properties, being dwarfs (read practical) they’d shorten it to one word, creating dozens of new words.

wallacer:

Probably just a colloquialised version of Khazalid, no doubt spoken with a strong regional dialect and maybe with some extra words for concepts unheard of or unmentioned by regular Dwarfs.

Apart from that, more or less the same language, i’m guessing (the analogy between UK English and American English is a good one).

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thanks wallacer. Also, you’re iterating what I meant, even if I didn’t say it well enough :wink: