[Archive] Chaos Dwarf list for ongoing Blog

Hespithe:

Hello again all…

On another site (Heresy-Online & Warhammer Discussion) I am running and participating in a Tale of X Gamers styled event where the final armies will be judged by the members in order to announce an overall Tourney Event Champion.  I’ll be doing a Tomb Kings army, and my newly received Chaos Dwarf army as well.  

Here’s the crux… I have very little idea of what makes a great list for the Chosen Stunties, so I’m relying on mostly what I see in other lists here on CDO, and what was in the general makeup of the army I received.  It did not fare as well as the original owner had hoped, and the following list is not the same list he used.

Heretical Hespithe’s Horrid Horde

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord (4) w/ Talisman of Protection

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (2) w/ Dispel Scroll

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (2) w/ Dispel Scroll

Hobnobber Hero on Wolf w/ Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armor

25 Chaos Dwarfs w/ Full Command

25 Chaos Dwarfs w/ Full Command

15 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses

15 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses

10 Hobnobber Wolf Riders w/ Musician, Light Armor, Shield

15 Hobnobbers w/ Musician

15 Hobnobbers w/ Musician

2 Hobnobber Bolt Throwers

2 Death Rockets

20 Orcs (TBD - I do not have the O&G army book just yet.  Suggestions welcomed, of course.)

1 Earthshaker

2250pts, allowing for 254pts for the Orc unit.

Any suggestions on just how I should proceed?  When the list is finalized, I will be blogging the army’s progress here as well.

Hespithe:

Wow… OK… I kinda expected some obvious (to you, not me) errors to be highlighted and critiqued.

Ah well… Question: Say I manage 274pts to spare (dropping the Orcs unit as listed)… Would a unit of Arrer Boyz be a good deal? They still hit pretty hard, don’t they? And, they have the range to cover the middle ground. That would also leave room for another Earthshaker, but I’d rather not use two, already having 3 ‘stone throwers’ in the army.

Either way… My bud used this army, but with hitty heroes instead of sorcery, against a 2nd Gen Slann list on Saturday… He played against a rather new player (my son) but lost the game by a VP margin of about 400pts. This was actually the straw that convinced him to trade the army for my Bloodbulls. On Sunday, my son and I had a rematch. He changed up his list just a tweak or two, and I reordered the character selection from a CD Lord/CD Sorcerer/HG Hero/HG Wolf Hero to what you see above.

The first two turns (and luckily I got first) the Earthshaker misfired only to roll 6’s on the chart, so no real harm done. Also, for the first two turns, the Orc Big’Uns failed animosity. But, during the game, the Earthshaker did direct hit twice and really screw up any plans the Lizards had for charging with Saurus blocks. The Fire magic from 3 Sorcerers worked a treat, though the Sorcerer Lord did manage to lose a level and a wound on a miscast. Two big units of the match… Wolf Riders w/ Hobnobber Hero did a real deal on my right flank, taking on a full unit of Salamanders and a unit of Skinks directly behind them, losing only 2 models in the process, then continuing on to threaten the flank of the Slann’s Temple Guard. This caused the Slann to immediately redirect his magics toward the Wolf Riders, saving my battle line from some terrible fate, I’m sure. The puppies died miserably as I failed to dispel any hostile magic that turn. Second unit of the match was a Death Rocket. I managed to direct hit the Slann. He managed to fail his Look out, Sir and his 2+ Ward… I rolled and wounded, and then rolled a 6 for the number of wounds… I’ve never seen my son look so shocked, lol. This is also the first game that my son has ever conceded in 5 years of war-gaming, lol. He only had about 15 Saurus left at the end of the 5th turn.

I imagine that in a game against a more mature/veteran player, the list would do well, but as I haven’t yet managed that in the 3 days I’ve owned this army, I really couldn’t say.

As always, and again, comments and criticisms are appreciated.

cornixt:

Nothing wrong with it. I might give a power stone to one of the L2 guys and replace the sword of might with a great weapon. Arrer Boyz are pretty versatile so can come in handy against pretty much anything, especially things that enter from behind your main army.

Hespithe:

Cool… I kinda like the Arrer Boyz, but I honestly would like to get the Big’Uns in the list first. The power stone is definitely an idea if points are left over. Would a Great weapon really be worthwhile while mounted? I’d still only get +1 Str and lose the magical attack as well as the 2+ save from the enchanted shield…

cornixt:

It is something to weigh up, depends on how you use him. Armour of Ghazhrak and a great weapon would cost about the same and give you slightly better save, but if you are doing smash tactics then save might not be that important anyway.

Hespithe:

Cool… I didn’t realize the Armour of Ghazhrak was so ‘cheap’. That is a better deal, I suppose. Thanks for the heads up.