[Archive] Chaos Dwarf mention in The Great Betrayal

Grimstonefire:

The War of Vengeance:  The Great Betrayal.  Nick Kyme 2012

’Snorri had heard Morek the runesmith speak in whispers of dwarfs that dabbled in magic, the wild unpredictable kind not bound to metal, of the slow petrification of their bodies and the cruelty it bred into their souls.

Not all the dwarfs honoured the ancestors any more.  Not since the Coming of Chaos in the elder days.  Snorri knew his history, of legends about clans that fled the Worlds Edge Mountains to a land of everlasting fire and who swore fealty to a different god entirely, a father of darkness’.  p61

’‘And sheath your weapons,’ snapped the runelord.  ‘Did you think me one of the dawi zharr, mayhap?’’ p62

What I find particularly interesting here is not so much what was actually said, but the time in history these people are talking about it.  It would mean that knowledge of the CD was relatively widely known before Imperial Year -2005 I believe (a little too early in the story to say exactly what year), which is before the war against the elves.

So eventually when I salvage my CD book off my dead laptop I’ll have to re-jig the timeline yet again.  This will actually mess up my fluff a bit, so I might conviniently ignore it…

RichardC1967:

they are in the Wulfrick novel too…Chapters 4-9…one long expedition to recover a magic item from a Chaos Dwarf sorcerer, they run into hobgoblins,an overzealous overseer with a blunderbuss, cause a slave rebellion, face CD immortals,  a Bull Centaur , an unnamed Sorc-Prophet on a Lammasu,also the Thegn of Dronanagkul, Khorakk(who is encased in a steam powered armored suit… ala Astrogoth),and it also mentions some type of old female acolyte warrior types(can’t remember).Pretty good reading, and the most extensive story I’ve seen written about the CD’s in a warhammer novel

Zuh-Khinie:

Seeing as the CD race/culture as we know it sprang into existence around -3500, I can understand that the dwarfs would have found out about them by-2500.

A millenium is a long time to find your long lost brethren who don’t actually live that far away. If the CD thought the dwarfs to be extinct as well, they might even have gone as far as trying a raid on an old keep to retrieve some things or parts of their culture they hadn’t entirely given up on yet.

Just a thought though :slight_smile:

Vogon:

they are in the Wulfrick novel too...Chapters 4-9..one long expedition to recover a magic item from a Chaos Dwarf sorcerer, they run into hobgoblins,an overzealous overseer with a blunderbuss, cause a slave rebellion, face CD immortals,  a Bull Centaur , an unnamed Sorc-Prophet on a Lammasu,also the Thegn of  Dronanagkul Khorakk(who is encased in a steam powered armored suit.. ala Astrogoth),and it also mentions some type of old female acolyte warrior types(can't remember).Pretty good reading, and the most extensive story I've seen written about the CD's in a warhammer novel

RichardC1967
Hmmm! Seems I might have to see if i can pick up a copy of this one then.

Cheers

Vogon

Admiral:

In Malekith there are hints of Chaos Dwarfs.

At one point where we read about Karaz-a-Karak’s grand artillery train and siege weaponry, a Dwarf told the main character Elf about a large catapult which was decisive during the siege of some fortress with a strange name, and Malekith was surprised to hear about hard sieges for the Dwarfs, since the Elves didn’t know of any race capable of producing such fortifications. The only suspects for the Elves would have been the distant and “decaying” Lizardmen, or the brutish Beastmen or Greenskins. The Dwarf went silent and didn’t explain whatever foe had been besieged.

At a somewhat later point in the story, in a sweeping description of the growth and development of Elven and Dwarfen empires in the Old World, we get to know that the Dwarfs informed the Elves that beyond the large mountain spine in the east of the Old World there was nothing but barren wasteland. Because of this the Elves named the range the World’s Edge Mountains and never bothered to settle or even explore the Dark Lands when there was much richer pickings available around the world. It seem clear that the Dwarfs avoided any shameful mention of their fallen cousins and tried to keep their very existence secret to the Elves. Since Zharr Naggrund and its dominions must still have been in an early founding phase without any navy to speak about, the Elves wouldn’t have encountered the Chaos Dwarfs before later on, sometime after the War of the Beard, as the Dawi Zharr empire slowly grew.

@Zuh-Khinie: Add to this the fact that Dwarfs have long sought to establish strongholds and mining complexes in the Ogre inhabited Mountains of Mourn, on the other side of the Dark Lands, and the secrecy of the Chaos Dwarfs cannot have been assured for long.

Grimstonefire:

Wulfrik sounds very good, I’ll be getting that one.

Abecedar:

Looks like I’ll have to expand my list of “wants” to a few novels this year

RichardC1967:

there is also this guy in the “Knights Of Bretonnia” Omnibus…

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zumarah