[Archive] Chaos Dwarf rare choices

Lava Lord:

I’ve not seen much on using DOW rare choices in CD armies, and wondering about the following. I plan to use these choices eventually and I’ll post how they did, but I’d also like to hear yes or no and why. My three choices to try are Orges, the Cursed Company, and a Giant.:hat off

wallacer:

Are Chaos Dwarfs allowed to use DoW? I don’t remember seeing it in their army list.

If they were, then Ogres should slot in fine. If I were going to use a Giant it would be this guy:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=697

Xander:

CDs can use DOW. But CDs cannot use Giants. They are not included amoungst the lists of armies that can take giants.

In friendly games however, just ask your opponent.

wallacer:

Where does it say that CDs can use DoW? I don’t think it says they can in the Ravening Hordes list (I’m entering a tournie soon with CD, so if they can use DoW i’ll need to cite some kind of reference).

cheers,

R.

P.S. sorry about hijacking the thread.

Vise the Stompy:

I know that the Dwarf Pirate and Cold One Riders Regiments of Renown both make it a point of saying they cannot be taken by Chaos Dwarfs. I always assumed that if a DoW unit did not make it a point of listing a race’s army in the exceptions, then it would be allowed to take them.

Nehan:

wallacer - it does not say in the fragment of RH with Chaos Dwarfs (which is the only RH’s thing accessible now), however, in another fragment of the RH book, there is a note, that RH armies may use DoW, as per their rules.

So no worries!

Still, earthshaker/bullcentaurs are a HUGE competition to whatever unit in DoW list.

hal:

What about the Albion giants?

Bjorni:

The Albion Giants run away quite a lot, not immune to panic + Ld6 = Zippie the Giant. :wink:

Also aren’t they 2 Rare Choices, where is Ol’Faithfull (the ES, for the normal people) supposed to go then?

Cheers,

Bjorn

hobblin:

No albion giant or bird men only DoW can take them anyways I was hinking of the bear men not rare but there killer’s.

Lava Lord:

To further comments about the Giant inclusion, There was an article in WD a few months back, when the new Giant model came. In there the races were listed that could have the Giant and the Chaos Dwarfs were mentioned. There was even picture of a slave Giant!

Lord Darkash:

the download PDF on U.S website says other wise! only Empire, tomb kings, dark elves, skaven, vampire counts and DOW can… :frowning:

cornixt:

Rhinox riders or Maneaters might make a good giant replacement.

Looking at the Rhinox rules I think I’ll use them myself.

Ed da Squig:

If you need a cite for the use of DoW in other armies, just read the PDF here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/dogsofwar/default.htm

As for filling that rare slot with something that fits, Ogres seem the best fluff-wise as it was the Chaos Dwarves who gifted their leadbelchers with cannons.

Undeadninjas:

was it now… interesting. Shouldn’t that mean Chaos Dwarfs get cannons? I’d get ogres… As for the other rare choices, the Earthshaker is really good. Making everything in the area move as fast as you do is a nice thing indeed. And the Bull Centaurs make great pounding cavalry. But whether they’d be as good as Ogres, I don’t know.

Nehan:

I suppose the only valuable ogre mercenaries are 4 ironguts with a warbanner. Rhinox riders would be also ok, if they weren’t two rare choices :frowning:

Titanomachy:

I was just going to ask about using giants in a CD army, and I guess I got my answer. I am leaning towards Ironguts though but I wonder if BC are better?

Nehan:

I’d use either 6 bullcentaurs or 4 ironguts - either with warbanner. Bullcentaurs have only 6 wounds compared to 12 of ironguts, and their save is only better by 1. Still, they are definately faster and have bigger weapon skill and leadership, and cost less.

Bullcentaurs are more a counterattack unit, and ironguts are more an full-scale offensive one.

WarplockMonkey:

Come on, CD must have slave giants!

Xander:

To further comments about the Giant inclusion, There was an article in WD a few months back, when the new Giant model came. In there the races were listed that could have the Giant and the Chaos Dwarfs were mentioned. There was even picture of a slave Giant!

Lava Lord
Evidence of this would be greatly appreciated. If you can scan it, send me some scans via PM, I would like to see them.

hal:

What number WD is that, I think I have it (I was recently given roughly 10 years worth of WDs along with the newest ones).