[Archive] Chaos Dwarf units with GW or Hand Weapon and shield?

Galladorn:

In 2500 point games I run 3 x 35+ horde units of CD w/ GWs. I have enough artillery to force the enemy to come to me, then my hordes take down the survivors. Very successful with them. Yes, I use an anvil unit occasionally, but the great weapons have proven their value to me over and over again.

Baggronor:

I mean in close combat, the tarpit takes the charge and then the hammer unit hits flank. sometimes because so many HG die, the hammer unit ends up breaking from combat.
Ahhh Zombie Syndrome, where the tarpit can ruin everyone else's day ;) Yeah, you have to be careful. Keep em 5 wide and debuff with shadow magic I say.

Mosk:

This is kind of changing the topic slightly, but for a good tarpit (anvil) to go along with the Great Weapon CDs would a rank 5 wide and 10 back be good? or is this over kill

Baggronor:

but for a good tarpit (anvil) to go along with the Great Weapon CDs would a rank 5 wide and 10 back be good? or is this over kill
Thing is, the longer the unit, the more visible its flank becomes. I'd say 35, 5x7? Or 42, 6 wide? May require some experimentation :) Depends if you have other units on either side of the tarpit too. Also depends who you're tarpitting.

Da Crusha:

In 2500 point games I run 3 x 35+ horde units of CD w/ GWs. I have enough artillery to force the enemy to come to me, then my hordes take down the survivors. Very successful with them. Yes, I use an anvil unit occasionally, but the great weapons have proven their value to me over and over again.

Galladorn
whew! nasty, I only run one usually. sounds like an interesting list to try out.
This is kind of changing the topic slightly, but for a good tarpit (anvil) to go along with the Great Weapon CDs would a rank 5 wide and 10 back be good? or is this over kill

Mosk
I run 5X10 all the time. I think it is great and sometimes its not enough. its ok if the flank gets hit because as long as you have more ranks then your opponent you will be steadfast. yes, they will negate your rank bonus but that does not get rid of steadfast.

Sanguinarian:

I mean in close combat, the tarpit takes the charge and then the hammer unit hits flank. sometimes because so many HG die, the hammer unit ends up breaking from combat.

Da Crusha
Ahh I follow you now ;) yeah that could cause problems.

Bassman:

Da Crusha
Ahh I follow you now ;) yeah that could cause problems.

Sanguinarian
It's situational. I do not use very often my tarpits like said above.
I do normally use tarpits as..... tarpits!
I found that 8th edition huge units are difficult to re-deploy in time to be effective in the battle. So if I managed to engage them (or force them to engage) my hobogblins they need at least 2-3 turns to get rid of them all. Said that they needed 1-2 turns to get to the hobgoblins that means that an elite unit worth 300 points could be placed out of thegame by an unit worth 80-100 points. This means also a massive effect on the entire game. Hobgoblins, heartshakers, magic and missile fire combine their effects to disrupt enemy battle plan.

For this reason I found great weapons much more effective now. Now we have more than enough ways to stop, deroute, slow down enemies. We need something that actually kills enemies. What better than a massive axe? ;)

Glimpse the Void:

You guys with the fatty blocks aren’t afraid of the 13th spell, purple sun, dwellers, gateway, and stone throwers that can’t miss?

I have only played one game with my little people of chaos so far, but do you guys find the threat that these sort of blocks offer out weigh the risk of putting so many of your points into a single target?

I’m insanely curious about this, because I am still play testing and building models and may have rejected the warrior hoard prematurely.

Giftzwerg:

Da Crusha
Absolutely. For that reason I often find it useful to use a tarpit unit just to tie up an expensive enemy unit. The hobgoblin anvil/dwarf hammer is still useful against some armies. If the enemy is strength 3 (other than high or dark elves) they probably wont do much killing anyway, even of naked hobgoblins.

Da Crusha:

You guys with the fatty blocks aren't afraid of the 13th spell, purple sun, dwellers, gateway, and stone throwers that can't miss?

I have only played one game with my little people of chaos so far, but do you guys find the threat that these sort of blocks offer out weigh the risk of putting so many of your points into a single target?

I'm insanely curious about this, because I am still play testing and building models and may have rejected the warrior hoard prematurely.

Glimpse the Void
well yeah they have that, but I'm also running 3 or 4 stone throwers, some bolt throwers and a purple sun of my own. so not too worried. I just save my dispel dice for those spells.