[Archive] Chaos Dwarfs - Age of Sigmar

Still standing:

I’ve given you full credit for the war scrolls and sent him links to this page. Maybe it will get you some more traffic. :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Thanks - I appreciate that.

Still standing:

Played a game last night against Tomb Kings. I used Blunderbusses for the first time. I was blown away by how destructive they are. Too destructive I thought. Maybe rather than D3 wounds something along the lines of " to Wound rolls of a 6 cause 2 wounds"

Still standing:

Thommy, take a look at this battle report.  It’s from my game with your rules vs Moarhammer’s Legions of Chaos.

EDIT: Would help if I added the link. #4 Age of Sigmar LoC -Vs- Chaos Dwarfs Moarhammer Battle Report - YouTube

Thommy H:

Cool! I’ll give it a watch later. Re: blunderbusses - you may be right about that. They probably don’t need the extra damage now I’ve given them bonuses for having more models in the unit. It’s odd, because AoS actually removes the need to give them special rules: all units fire all their weapons now, so the core concept of the weapon (“more blokes mean a deadlier blast”) is irrelevant. I’ll give it some thought.

Timothy Archer:

What about cd with crossbow I plan to buy some clams in the next month and mix them with the old ones. I have no idea at all how to play them.

Thommy H:

I’d just use the rules for Dwarf Quarrellers. Change the keywords if you want, and maybe add a pip of save, but that’s all you need really!

Thommy H:

All right, feedback considered and taken on board. New version uploaded - this one is V10, and there’s a date added, which will continue to be the case so you can keep track of what rules you should be using…

Only two small changes though:

• Drazhoath the Ashen’s command ability has been pretty brutally reined in, with the range reduced to 12" and having it only affect Infernal Guard. They can only re-roll saves in the combat phase too.

In defence of Drazhoath’s original command ability, he was written to fit in with the other special characters in the warscroll compendiums - what I didn’t appreciate was that he’s actually the only Sorcerer Prophet on Bale Taurus miniature available, so a disproportionate number of players are likely to have him in their armies! If anyone is planning to use him, I’d recommend possibly using the model as an Overlord on Great Taurus unless you want the game to focus solely on him. It’s like bringing Karl Franz, basically (even with the nerfed command ability).

Still standing:

Awesome, looking forward to trying another game. :slight_smile: Is anybody else playtesting this?

Thommy H:

Well, the original version was downloaded >100 times, so I figure someone must be using it - though the rules have changed a fair bit since then!

Still standing:

Played another game tonight. I notice in the Sorcerors-Prophet on Lamasu’s spell there is a mistake. It says D3 if you roll under unit size, D6 if over unit size, but doesn’t say what if you roll equal to the unit size.

Secondly I’ve played 3 games now with K’Daai Fireborn. They seem to be rediculously powerful. I’ve compared them to Ogre Kingdoms units, and they are better than anything in there except Heroes and Monsters due to the good combat stats and -2 Rend. Discussing with my opponents we feel the unit will be better with -1 Rend and everything else the same. For comparison even Mournfang Cavalry and Ironguns are only -1.

My final point is the rend on Infernal Guard. Although not game breaking, why do Infernal Guard hand weapons have -1 Rend? In the Chaos Warriors and Dwarf lists only the most elite units have -1 Rend on their hand weapons.

Thommy H:

I’ll change that to D6 if it’s equal or over, I think. I think when I did the K’daai rules I hadn’t quite got my head around the upper and lower limits of all the characteristics yet - -2 didn’t seem that powerful, but very few units actually go that high, and saves generally cap at 4+ for units, so yeah, -1 makes more sense.

With the Infernal Guard, only their Barrel-mounted Blades and Darksteel Greataxes have -1 Rend (which are the same stats as halberds and great weapons, respectively). Axes or Hammers of Azgorh are normal Dwarf hand weapon stats. What I might need to do though is work on some of the wording of the options, because at the moment there’s no incentive not to just take the great weapons on them or the Warriors because they can get shields anyway, and there’s nothing in AoS that prevents you from using a two-handed weapon and shield together. It’ll probably go back to either/or, and the classic Chaos Dwarf Warrior models will just have to be fudged a little!

I need to correct some typos anyway, so I’ll give some thought to all these things. Thanks for your continued feedback and informal playtesting!

As an aside: I’m finding it interesting how, despite AoS having no points values, and the claims from some quarters that there’s no balancing mechanism, there is still a sense that things can be more or less powerful than they ought to be. Even without being able to measure units against one another directly, certain conventions are narrow enough that aberrations raise eyebrows. For instance, you only see a 2+ and 6+ To Wound in a tiny proportion of warscrolls. Some have bemoaned this “limited design space” but actually the nuance in the rules comes from the Abilities and the synergies between units with certain keywords. You don’t need saves that span all the way from 6+ to 2+ when there are dozens of different ways to implement a shield…

Still standing:

I’ve just noticed that Axes/Hammers of Azgorh are Rend -. Were they Rend -1 in an early edition? That’s my mistake then.

I feel that Burning Bright for K’Daai doesn’t mean anything anymore. Too keep it more in line with the Legion of Azgorh list, how about “In each Hero phase roll a D6 for each unit with a model within 3” of this unit, excluding other K’Daai Fireborn and Destroyers, but including the models own unit. If a 6 is rolled, the unit takes D3 wounds."

Thommy H:

Yeah, they might have been -1 before. I think it was because they’re Strength 4 in WHFB, so it’s like halberd stats. I changed my mind on that though.

That implementation of Burning Bright is nice, actually. Rolling it into the rules for Blazing Body is interesting. I’ll give it some thought.

Thommy H:

All right, new version, some slight changes here and there:

• Lots of little bits of re-wording for consistency and clarity

• Astragoth’s ‘Relentless Advance’ has been simplified to just allow him to move and charge in the same turn

• Sorcerer Lord on Lammasu’s ‘Daemonic Scourge’ spell has clarified that you inflict D6 mortal wounds if you roll greater than or equal to the number of models in the unit

• Pyrophant’s ‘Flamestrike’ spell slightly tweaked

• Unit options for Warriors and Infernal Guard reverted to being mutually exclusive (i.e. no great weapons with shields), though there’s no reason you couldn’t have that combo if you have the models to be honest…

• Blunderbuss hornblowers now allow them to stand and shoot

I think that’s everything.

Still standing:

Excellent, thank you. Do you plan on altering your rules to match the FW rules, where appropriate?

Thommy H:

Nope.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Still standing:

Good. The only thing I would like to see from the FW ones is the combined profile for War Machines.

Thommy H:

Yeah, I quite liked that too. I don’t think there’s an easy way to present it as an option though, and I’m not sure I want to have two versions of every war machine…

Still standing:

Thommy, we need to come up with rules for Petrified Sorcerers.