[Archive] Chaos Dwarfs at the Brawler Bash 3K

Method:

Heya guys,

I wrote up a quick synopsis of a pretty big GT i went to recently this month. The Brawler Bash in Durham NC. It was a pretty good sized event drawing alot of warseer folks and the youtube battle reporters Mr malorian and oncebitten.

I was the lone CD player there. Out of the 70 people.

Here was my list.

Sorcerer prophets on Hashut

Tali of preservation

chalice of darkness

enchanted shield

BSB with dragon helm

28 Infernal guard with blunderbusses

std/muso

20 hobgobs w/ bows

std/muso

25 hobgobs w/ hnd weapon and shield

std

3 bull centaurs w/grt weapons and standard

6 fireborn

1 magma cannon

1 death shrieker

1 iron daemon (hell bound)

destroyer

destroyer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my army.

…Some notes…

The GT only counted the VPs you score in the game. so there is no point in not losing models if it’s close to the end of a game even if to only get an extra 150 points. (i.e what you’re opponent killed has no bearing on you’re score) so ram you’re one wound destroyer into that deathstar to try to snipe a character…it doesnt matter!

also, you will notice everything in my army had banners… that is because most of the scenarios required banners to score points!

also, no comp but also no grand army rules at 3k.

CD review…

Dual destroyers were awesome. but i think they do suffer from some issues (much like anything else) regarding match-ups.

Despite what the internet thinks; destroyers are GOOD, but not if the opponent is geared to handle them. (as with any unit)

Game 1 played O/G with 2 wolf riding heroes with the 2+ flaming wards, ( i must have been cursed by Baggronor…as seen on this thread…

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12792 ) LOL

He won the first turn, and was the OG player, that Mr Malorian was giving advice to (on his recap) about the Kdaii destroyers. I shot a gob hero down with the hobgobs (big promotion for them later!!) and another moved foward a bit too far, and the Destroyers streaked past him. The flames of Azgorth and a back to back miscasts annihilated his savage orc horde, and the black orc horde with 3 characters found themselves in deep vs the destroyers.

In the end i lost both destroyers, and all my artillery (and everything infact except the ID, and the BB unit with characters) but poor Gene was left with a Black orc bsb and goblin hero (with a flaming ward!) I scored 4100 pts and he got 2700 pts. hella of a player and great sport.

Game 2 played the Dragon prince themed HE army. ( a good player i know well, who piloted teclis against my brets on table 3 of the last event… Brets won though :wink: (table 12 - blood and glory) with 2 hero’s on eagles with dragon armor, 2 units of dragon princes, and a lord on a star dragon with you guessed it (dragon armor which surprisingly becomes proof vs flaming) for those keeping count, that’s 2 units with MV 9 and 3 with MV 10 with flaming wards.

I blasted the BSB with the iron daemon turn one, panicked some archers, then my Death shrieker and magma cannon incinerated his archers on the other flank.

my poor BC were sent out to bait the star dragon with the temptation of easy fortitude, the star dragon came in range for a 2nd turn charge, when i put him under ashstorm lock for 4 turns. The fireborn were destroyed by dragon princes after chasing eagles away from my artillery, but the hobgobs on foot got the flank charge and killed them!!!

Meanwhile both destroyers hide behind my BB bunker till after the dragon armor guys were either dead or run them past… Once they engaged, the murder of the high elves was complete.

I scored 4000 points and Robert scored 1200 points.

his report seen here

http://rotgutmanglers.blogspot.com/

Game 3 Finally a person not geared to play my army, but that person was someone who I playtest with. My buddy Todd on table 5. He rocked up with a Tz magic (!!!) warriors army. we mauled each other, with the fireborn killing a 18 man? sized unit of nurgle warriors (aka the new WOC infantry hotness). Todd’s Glean magic, and the threat of treason of tzeench (with hell cannon support!), amplified with his winning first turn, decimated my magic. (the first two spells stolen at random was 1. ashstorm, 2. flames…ugh i didnt even get a chance to cast them! lol) The iron daemon rocked the house, with the 50 cal machine guns on top blasting away 2 of his 3 chariots, and his lvl 2 on disk (with the flaming ward of course, hunting destroyers no doubt) then the party train crashed into a unit of 4? (maybe 3) skullcrushers (who amazingly were stuck after 3 bull centaurs held their charge on a ld 4 test!!) doing 5 wounds, and letting the BC run them down!!! In the end we both didnt get as many points as we wanted and I ended with 2700 pts, and Todd with 2500 pts. which slowing us both down a bit vs the other leaders… great game overall and now i have a healthy respect for Tzeench magic!)

Game 4 and sunday morning led me to a table vs a DE player who smashed a club mate the round before… and who also finished the top DE general. He rocked up with Purple sun on a pendant peg rider, and a lvl 4 with shadow (mind razor and withering) not a lot of fat in that army (dual hydras, corsairs, C of blood etc, )

You can see a battle report with him in it here vs oncebitten here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF55laAjSXg

turn one he made a play mistake and didnt cast power of darkness when he had 7 dice to my 4, for a cheeky purple sun at my lines (he got first turn and had a vanguard character chard and coupled with a disc… bad news!!) I was fortunate to stop it (i rolled like 4,5,5,6 whew!!!) I ashstormed the the peg rider, who then on turn two, thinking she had an opportunity fly within 7 inches down the side of the BB unit, BUT she was unable to cast PS for another turn. The BB reformed, and 86 shots later, the threat of Purple sun was vanquished. His lvl 4 miscast once (eating a wound) then he failed a look out sir for a wound from the shrapnel from a rocket. leaving her on 1 wound. I targeted her bunker unit with flames and artillery, and soon she was forced to jump in the ashstormed corsair unit infront of a destroyer or risk dying to shooting on my turn. (the ID was prowling too, with the 50 cal at the ready)

Needless to say she rolled poorly for magic, i chaliced her dice away, and she made a feeble attempt at a mindrazor. (which didnt go off) destroyer went in, and with the lvl 4 dead. i rolled up the dark elves. (one note though, both destroyers were killed by the witch hag on the COD… i hate poison…lol)

i scored about 3800 and Daniel got 1500 ish.

Game 5. I played the "cold blooded pharmacist " Mike Howe on table 4. Mike’s army can be seen here on the live feed when he lost on table 1, in round 3 (according to many, the poor guy suffered through questionable play from his opponent…) http://www.twitch.tv/atomicempire/videos?kind=past_broadcasts&page=1 (EDIT if you look, the video table 1, round 3, will not be listed…because of the controversy caused by the "questionable play… but for those who are wondering, the TO’s clamped down on that type stuff after it was discovered. so props to them.)

Mike had 3 cannons, and a light council with dual str 7 banishment (war alter) with 48 inch range.

I did not get first turn, but despite it all the destroyers almost made it to be able to charge bottom of turn two, being an inch away. (his demi units moved towards me for whatever reason!) i had killed the lvl 4 with a lucky flames of azgorth (he failed a look out sir’s) on my turn 1 but lady luck returned the favor and allowed him to cast banishment from the war alter IR, killing one destroyer in one shot, then the one cannon with LOS did a one shot; one kill on the other one who was also at 6 wounds… unfortunately this eliminated both Mike and I from the GT, as we both ended with only 1500 points (i have tough 3+ armor dwarfs, he had 3 units of 1+ armor knights. it was a nerf sword battle! so from table 4, if either of us got the customary 4000 pts we averaged, one of us could have done really well!!! )

In the end my Clubmate Lord Inquistor won the event by the infamous submarine tactic (he began day 2, some 14 players behind me!!)

see his report here.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?329499-Lord-Inquisitor-s-Tournament-Diary/page4

and the results were here.

http://www.bullcitywargaming.com/bb-scores

So the chaos dwarfs did pretty good.

I got 9th overall, out of 70. And if you look at the points, i was 3K behind my buddy who won it. If i got my customary 4000 points (and both destroyers didnt go down in one phase when both had full wounds!) I could have squeaked in there. But it wasnt meant to be, and i couldn’t be happier a clubmate won, rather than not!

I won 2nd best painted, and best CD (whoohoo!! hehe) so i personally got about 175 in gift cards (already spent on additional army cases) and of course plaques.

my club Kobra Kai won the club title (really hard fought that one!) and our playgroup claimed 3 out of the 4 highest paint scores (and awards) along with 5 best in races, an overall, the 3rd best sportsman.

The best part is…i got MAX sports fielding the filth of dual destroyers, and the evil chalice. so while i didnt claim the fav opp votes, I maxed out “regular sports” (you rated you’re opponents from 5 to 1 (5 being the best) receiving a good number of “5’s” :wink:

all in all. The other TO’s are thinking about expanding it to 100 players next year, so for those of you who dont want the adepticon drama, or cant go to the SCGT in england… come to the 3rd largest GT in april.

(we dont have the podcasters like all the other events… BUT we have 100% of the youtube battle reporters and video. (and TV trumps radio)

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Jerry

Yodrin:

Btw, do you have a P.BLOG? cause your army looks great on that pic…

Gothnomicon:

Awesome! I had planned to field my Chaos Dwarves for this event, but just didn’t have time to get them finished in time for the Bash! I’m certainly planning on making this event next year. Hopefully, sometime this summer, I’ll have my army completed.

BTW, I’m local to Raleigh, so I don’t know how far you traveled to make Brawler Bash, but I’m always interested in finding fellow CD players to learn. I only have one game with them to date and I proxied most of my army for that. Where is Kobra Kai located?

Method:

Awesome! I had planned to field my Chaos Dwarves for this event, but just didn't have time to get them finished in time for the Bash! I'm certainly planning on making this event next year. Hopefully, sometime this summer, I'll have my army completed.

BTW, I'm local to Raleigh, so I don't know how far you traveled to make Brawler Bash, but I'm always interested in finding fellow CD players to learn. I only have one game with them to date and I proxied most of my army for that. Where is Kobra Kai located?

Gothnomicon
we are out of chesapeake va. but a couple of us live in charlotte, and personally I live in VA, but work in salisbury nc every other week, so I get alot of painting time when on the road.

If you need to meet folks, head to warnc.com for all our events in the carolinas, there you can meet the clubs, and find a group to play with.
also, i am a active leader in the GT scene down there and we have a GT every 3 months so come join the fun!

Method:

Btw, do you have a P.BLOG? cause your army looks great on that pic...

Yodrin
i do not unfortunately. ( i am a speed painter, and can finish armies at an alarming rate, so the speed would far out strip the time it would take to post pics of my wip. the plog would only be up for a week!! ;P)

Since Sept, i have painted 3k in woodies, 3k in WOC, 3 k in CD's and rebased my empire (for cobblestones) and rebased my brets (seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5tW9MDUu5A )

but if i do, i will certainly consider making one up here (although, i think i have every unit in the book painted except a hellcannon and a siege giant?) Hmmmm

nicque-ta-mare:

Your army looks AMAZING. I saw it first in Malorian’s slide show video. You are probably lucky you didn’t face any warriors, Daemon Prince with Dragon bane gem… Why didn’t you use 30+ blunderbuss for the extra bonus (its 30 models shooting, no?). I feel like its almost worth it to take death magic on the lvl 4 just to have some way of dealing with those fire warded heroes…

Skink:

Yeah, some close ups of your army would be appreciated. Also, the reading was very enjoyable! Thanks for sharing :cheers!

Yodrin:

You just have to put up some pics Method, all the awesomeness:)

Method:

RE: Army

I’m out of town currently but maybe i will set some photos up when I get back tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliments!

Some of the models i used :

The destroyers were resin piloted steam golems, and the fireborn were smaller versions of piloted steam golems (metal) (i went the steam punk route for my CD.)

The BC were Irongut/juggernaught conversions.

almost everything else were either the old tall hat minis, or forge world artillery.

The paint scheme is blueish skin, and green marble-style hats and highlights

I was going for an exotic eastern/persian scheme so compared to the old world in the fantasy universe, people would walk by and say…“yea… they aren’t from around here”

I think it worked for the most part.

RE: tactics

Im ok fighting the DP of nurgle. I believe the twin 50 cals on the back of the ID that can shoot one up pretty easily. The chimera’s would cause possible issues, but the Kdaii’s foot print should be big enough to make them keep their distance. (they wont flee, because they’d have a hard time rallying on their LD, if the nurgle dp is zipping around somewhere) The CD will probably have their destroyer eaten by the DP, but as long as you mitigate their way to get points back… i’ll take that trade.

The Blunderbusses maybe fired 6 shots all weekend. The good thing is that they never died (and only vs the warrior army were seriously threatened) but the threat of them firing (not to mention getting through 2 destroyers and ID road block and artillery) usually meant no players wanted to challenge them for their points (as most units making it across the board were pretty decimated) My fav unit in the entire list. And they make a great bunker!

As such, my characters all survived pretty well. the lvl 4 never died, and the bsb died once (the first game)

Baggronor:

Game 1 played O/G with 2 wolf riding heroes with the 2+ flaming wards, ( i must have been cursed by Baggronor..as seen on this thread..
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12792 ) LOL
:cheers

Nice work dude.

RiTides:

Awesome write up! I am also thinking about attending this next year, also with CD which I am just starting!

What AdeptiCon drama? I played a 3000 point tourney there last year with a throgg-led troll army. The fantasy side wasn’t as big as 40k but it was pretty good.

I was actually considering both next year, any chance they’ll be spaced further apart?

Method:

Awesome write up! I am also thinking about attending this next year, also with CD which I am just starting!

What AdeptiCon drama? I played a 3000 point tourney there last year with a throgg-led troll army. The fantasy side wasn't as big as 40k but it was pretty good.

I was actually considering both next year, any chance they'll be spaced further apart?

RiTides
From my understanding there was a huge rules dispute on table on, final round. (i wasnt there, so i have no comment)

nicque-ta-mare:

Im ok fighting the DP of nurgle. I believe the twin 50 cals on the back of the ID that can shoot one up pretty easily. The chimera's would cause possible issues, but the Kdaii's foot print should be big enough to make them keep their distance. (they wont flee, because they'd have a hard time rallying on their LD, if the nurgle dp is zipping around somewhere) The CD will probably have their destroyer eaten by the DP, but as long as you mitigate their way to get points back.. i'll take that trade.

The Blunderbusses maybe fired 6 shots all weekend. The good thing is that they never died (and only vs the warrior army were seriously threatened) but the threat of them firing (not to mention getting through 2 destroyers and ID road block and artillery) usually meant no players wanted to challenge them for their points (as most units making it across the board were pretty decimated) My fav unit in the entire list. And they make a great bunker!
As such, my characters all survived pretty well. the lvl 4 never died, and the bsb died once (the first game)

Method
I think you are underestimating the DP. He'll use it on your bunker before your Destroyers, he'll re-direct Destroyers with dogs. You are only going to get one round of shooting at the DP with the iron demon and none of your magic or other war machines can hurt him. If he is in the open (he won't be) i think the average roll is one wound (D3=2 wounds).

Method:

Im ok fighting the DP of nurgle. I believe the twin 50 cals on the back of the ID that can shoot one up pretty easily. The chimera's would cause possible issues, but the Kdaii's foot print should be big enough to make them keep their distance. (they wont flee, because they'd have a hard time rallying on their LD, if the nurgle dp is zipping around somewhere) The CD will probably have their destroyer eaten by the DP, but as long as you mitigate their way to get points back.. i'll take that trade.

Method
I think you are underestimating the DP. He'll use it on your bunker before your Destroyers, he'll re-direct Destroyers with dogs. You are only going to get one round of shooting at the DP with the iron demon and none of your magic or other war machines can hurt him. If he is in the open (he won't be) i think the average roll is one wound (D3=2 wounds).

nicque-ta-mare
Yep the nurgle dp is nasty for sure, but a ds with reroll, and deploying on my baseline, ashstorm (or no charge) and flames of Ashton, should give me two turns( if he full moves turn on vs my base line army, he out runs his dogs and gets counter charged by destroyers) besides Hobgobs, bc and firstborn clear chaff. Also the stand and shoot BBC could hurt too ( never know with the huge volume of fire)

I also found that people panic with dual destroyers on the board.
But you are correct the nurgle do is a huge pain!

Method:

Method

nicque-ta-mare
Yep the nurgle dp is nasty for sure, but a ds with reroll, and deploying on my baseline, ashstorm (or no charge) and flames of Ashton, should give me two turns( if he full moves turn on vs my base line army, he out runs his dogs and gets counter charged by destroyers) besides Hobgobs, bc and firstborn clear chaff. Also the stand and shoot BBC could hurt too ( never know with the huge volume of fire)

I also found that people panic with dual destroyers on the board.
But you are correct the nurgle do is a huge pain!

Method
Damn autocorrect in my last post. Grrr

RiTides:

I just noticed you had no daemonsmith in your list. Was that just for this format / event, or do you find you don’t need one?

Also, are the 25 hobgobs with shields able to do anything? I’ve considered running a bus with shields, but 25 seems too few to keep steadfast in time for other things to hit the enemy in the flank. I’m also curious about them since this was a kills-based event and they stick out a bit… but I would love to hear that they were worth it :slight_smile: