[Archive] Chupayotl Aquatic Lizardmen

GRNDL:

I’m posting these pics for Warplockmonkey.

This project was a failed attempt at modelling a conversion kit to represent the Lizardmen of the Sunken City of Chupayotl. The desire to do this grew out from nostalgia for the old Slann fluff and a deep (pun intended) fascination for all things Lovecraft.

I wanted to create some parts than I could easily pin on or glue on to an existing plastic Saurus model. These I would cast in resin enough times to cover a unit (or what passes for a unit for me - I typically have small armies).

My kit would have comprised 4 pieces: Head, Tail, Spear and Shield. I got 3 of them done, but the project lost momentum as I started casting the heads and building the mold for the tail and spear parts. The resin heads lost a lot of detail in the fins due to air bubbles. After 3 or 4 refinements to the mold, I eventually gave up and began looking for a smooth cast resin.

Seeing Warplockmonkey’s heavily modded Lizardmen made me want to resume the project, but I fear that would come down to making a choice: Lizardmen or Chaos Dwarves… Decisions, decisions!

Leadblecher:

I like the look! I think you should do both CDs and Aqua LM. I was trying to figure out a way to do Fishmen and you just gave me the perfict idea!

Hashut’s Blessing:

The lizardmen unit you first make for Chupayotl could count as greenskins of some kind and represent a strange alliance or something or jsut be plain fashioned slaves. I hope you can sort the casting process because it’s an excellent idea and would look outstanding. very decent indeed :smiley:

WarplockMonkey:

KEEP ON WITH IT! KEEP ON WITH IT!!!

They are awsome! I remember once upon a time when i tried to convert a carnasaur into a mosasaur like creature for an aquatic old blood to ride on…but that was like 3 years ago and turned out TERRIBLE

I would say keep on with it mate! You dont see too many lizzie conversions so the more the better!

I think they deserve a slave or two from me :wink:

ashur:

Very nice amphibious lizards. I was thinking of sauus with genestealers heads for a more cthulu syle.

1 slave.

wallacer:

If you want to continue the Lovecraftian theme then Grenadier miniatures made a Cthulhu figure that would be about the right size for a Slann, and Reaper make a Tsathoggua figure that would certainly look the part.

I too think your conversions are worthy of some slaves.

Father Grumpmas:

The Komodons produced by Dragonrune are excellent aquatic looking lizardmen. I have some of these and they fit well on 25mm bases, being a bit taller than Saurus.

Excellent horseshoe crab sheilds as well

GRNDL:

The lizardmen unit you first make for Chupayotl could count as greenskins of some kind and represent a strange alliance or something or jsut be plain fashioned slaves.

Hashut's Blessing
Very nice amphibious lizards. I was thinking of sauus with genestealers heads for a more cthulu syle.

ashur
If you want to continue the Lovecraftian theme then Grenadier miniatures made a Cthulhu figure that would be about the right size for a Slann, and Reaper make a Tsathoggua figure that would certainly look the part.

wallacer
These suggestions seemed to jar something loose. I was suddenly filled with visions of Deep One Gnoblars with googly fish eyes, standing in pools of murky water. And using Tyrannid lictor heads for things as well. Mayhap I can pull something together.

I think that I had only really thought about the models as Lizardmen and somehow didn't really think of widening the theme more. The fluff doesn't really say even WHAT is in Chupayotl - it just stood to reason that they'd be Lizardmen since it was in the Lizardmen army book. But thinking of them as anything aquatic might open up some new doors.

Thanks! :cheers

Xander:

These are sweet. Man, I want to get the supplies to cast my own bits too. :smiley:

GRNDL:

These are sweet. Man, I want to get the supplies to cast my own bits too. :D

Xander
Actually casting supplies are pretty easy to get. I would recommend getting the Alumilite Resin Casting Kit. It costs about $90 Cdn and comes with pretty much everything you need to make molds and cast some stuff.

Block of plasticine/modelling clay
Mold release
2 part RTV Rubber mix (base + catalyst)
2 part epoxy resin
Measuring cup/stir stick
Mould wall (for making a mould - a bit big for bitz. I use Lego myself)
Instructions

Has a shelf life of between 1-2 years so you don't have to act on it immediately. It'll hang around a bit. The resin will get you many casts - I ran out of the rubber mold material before I ran out of resin. From the resin in this kit, I've cast about 3 Slann mage priests, 2 salamander heads, 4 aquatic liz heads, about 18" square of Liz Glyph plates, 2 Crux Terminatus pendants (the old Bulldog buckle one) and thrown away a lot of overcast material, so I think its worth it. I have about half left!

And Xander, since I know you live in the Golden Horseshoe, it's readily available in local model shops. I got mine from Modeller's Choice in Hamilton.

PS: I mucked about with making the mold for the tail and bone spear parts while waiting for some GS to cure. I'll try to at least get 1 model done with this kit. I have to do something to be worth of the slave donations that people have given me for this experiment. :)

Kera foehunter:

wow that is a great thing to do with the lizards.GRNDL

Xander:

You must provide me the address for this Hamilton location. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a good friend who lives in Hamilton while he attends McMaster University.

Cheers!

GRNDL:

You must provide me the address for this Hamilton location. :P

Xander
Sure thing:

http://www.modellerschoice.com/

Map:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?li=d&hl=en&f=d&iwstate1=dir:to&daddr=1400+Upper+James,+Hamilton,+ON+L9B+1K3+(Modeller%27s+Choice)&geocode=3070442426545204467,43.209364,-79.889947&iwloc=1&dq=model+shops&ei=rJC_R4zfHJGKrQL-wp24Cw

Its a pain to get to driving from St. Catharines, but from the North/East its a cinch. Your friend at Mac should have no problems just whipping up the nearest Mountain Access. I have to drive all around Hamilton to get to it, or plough though Hamilton which is about 30 mins of driving in itself. Grrr.