[Archive] Cold ones **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Zanko:

My favourites are the 3rd editon cold ones!

Like these here:

Imo both new cold one models aren’t brilliant (both are aweful!) but the Lizard ones are unbelievable bad!

:hashut

Loki:

I like the fact that they have kept the lizard men and dark elf ones looking different, thought they are the same species being in the different climates and environments has caused them to evolve different so i am a fan of both of them.

Joshmohr:

Dark Elf ones- I’d love to use a few in a Dark Eldar army…

Snotling:

Oh, I would like to ask:Who likes the Lizardmen Cold Ones? I am bounded to the Lizardmen, becuase they were my first army and I love them so much, and I was SOOO dissapointed from the new Cold Ones, I felt betrayed. The heads are cool but the rest is just ridiculous! The tail is too short and fat and the the arms look silly. But this is a question of flavour, what annoys me the most is that the arms and the collar were casted so bad, , there is a lot of plastic where there should be only a gab. These Cold Ones don’t look like high quality miniatures, they look like toys for children. Even the lizards from the 3rd edition Zanko shows have a better quality. I’m really interessted in what somebody who likes the Lizardmen Cold Ones tells about them. What do you guys like?
The riders look too plastic, too… fortunately I have no time for lizards anymore and if I ever countinue my army (what I will definately do when I think I finished my CDs, especially with the inspiration Warplockmonkey gave me), I can convert the old Cold Ones and the Cold Ones of the Elves…
Well, the DE Cold Ones look absoltely great. It is kind of funny, Gamezone takes GW minis and changes them a little to make alternatives, but this time, GW was inspired by GZ ^^

speedygogo:

My favorite version of the cold ones were the 5th/6th ed ones. I had this grandiose plan not too long ago to sculpt an all calvery dark elf army and use the older cold ones for mounts. My theme was cavegirls, kinda like prehistoric amazons. Unfortunately, lesurely time has been sparse for me recently and I had to put the idea on hold.

Bassman:

I like the old 4-5th edition metal Dark Elf cold ones. I have them with 6th edition knights.

I think the 6th edition battle-cow were ugly and the new ones really kick butts but I do not want to spend money to buy another unit of cold ones… I never liked the Lizzies cold one… but actually, I never liked Lizard men. Sorry but not my cup of tea.

:slight_smile:

Lord maklai:

I like the old edition dark elves one’s/ the one’s that pull the chariots, i think they show the essence a cold one has, pure brutal power, mixed with speed.

I think the lizardmen one’s look too cartoony and the dark elve’s one’s look to much like raptors, i think the chariot one’s have a good balance.

m3lvin:

Snotling: My first fantasy army was lizardmens aswell, so I got a little soft spot for them. Probably the funniest army to paint, cause all the bright colors make me so happy :).

Moving on;

Who likes the Lizardmen Cold Ones?
Maybe I’m not the fair one to judge them cause I dont own any myself, but if I’d start up with Lizardmens again I definatly will buy some. Almost every friend I have thinks the new lizardmen cold ones are butt-ugly, and in some case I can understand them;

The things that annoys me the most with them is that they looks so very front heavy. All its bodyweight (except its tiny tail) is in front of it back legs + a heavy saurus, so in reality there’s no way it could walk on just two legs.

The second, and last thing that annoys me is their front arms, that looks more like spiked maces than actual hands.

Apart from that, I think their actually good models. When they first came out they where a lot cheaper than the previous saurus cavalary,

and looked much better (than those hunch backed, camel-cow godzilla lizards :D)

they were also full plastic, and the saurus actually sat in a saddle, instead of just clinging to that camel hump.

Sure, the new dark elf cold ones sure looks good, but not suitable for lizardmen imo. As mentioned ealier by Loki, It’s good when they keep them looking different for each race.

The Dark elf version feels to weak to carry a saurus, and the slim style is better themed with elves.

The Lizardmen version look more slow and brutal (just like the saurus) and is therefore better suited.

Anyhow, I remembered the good old days when there were skinks who ruled over the cold ones! I hope to see some light cavalery or scout version of them in the next rulebook. :cheers

/melv

snowblizz:

Big fan of the new plastics.

'Course I have bunch of the old 6th ed plastics. shudders doesn’t take much to beat those.

Snotling:

Sure, the new dark elf cold ones sure looks good, but not suitable for lizardmen imo.

m3lvin
Really not?! Dude, look at this: http://coolminiornot.com/235146
It looks just awesome, I really love this mini, because I also preferd the 6th edition saddle. Okay, unlike the most people here, I really like the 6 Edition lizards, they look slow :). But this is a question of flavour, but they really looked much more realistic that the new ones. You are right with what you said, it IS cool that these two kinds of lizards look different and so on, but I really cannot understand why GW made so stupid Cold Ones, they had had so much potencial... I'm really dissapointed :(
When you have a unit othe them, they do look kind of cool, but compared with GW COULD do with them, they look just cheap and toy-like...

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think the 6th edition ones had a more appropriate bulk and mass, but needed updating (more in terms of posture and neck joint), but they are still my favourites. I do really like the new cold ones, but not as 1-2 tonne riding beasts. Velociraptor mounts? Sure :smiley:

Never really seen the lizardmen cold ones, to be honest (only in pictures), so I can’t comment too much. all I can say is that their proportions are too cartoony for my taste… Also, aren’t they called Horned Ones?

Snotling:

Also, aren't they called Horned Ones?

Hashut's Blessing
Horned Ones, Cold Ones, call them how you like ^^. The Horned Ones was a rare kind of Cold ones, only a special character rided him. The model was a 5th edition Cold One with a special head. In the 6th edition they changed the riders from Skinks to Saurus, but to calm down the people who have units of the old Cold Ones, GW said that these (old and more skinny) are the Horned Ones, which live in the Southlands ad where mounted by Skinks ('cause there are not many Saurus in the Southlands). I don't know what is what in the 7th edition, and it would just be a name. The literally translation from the german name of the Cold Ones to english would be "Battle Lizards" anyways... and they don't make a difference between the races... they all have lizards... for battle :)

Hashut’s Blessing:

Hahaha, that’s fair enough. I wasn’t sure if the Horned Ones were only for Tichi Huichi or not, but the models look the same/similar tot he current Lizardmen ones.

It’s amusing that they translate as battle lizards. Makes me wonder why they didn;t translate it properly, but always makes me think “that makes more sense”, lol.

snowblizz:

The Horned Ones was a rare kind of Cold ones, only a special character rided him. The model was a 5th edition Cold One with a special head.

Snotling
Tichi-huici (sic?) had a whole squad of red-crested Skinks (a special breed able to ride cold ones) riding Horned Ones with him. They were all part of a "special spawning" and a 5th edition Regiment of Renown. Of course they might well have existed before that, but the latest incarnation was this at least.

Bolg:

I like the 4rd edition metal coldones they were very cool, also the coldones with skinks ontop (dogs of war unit) are very nice.

and the 3dr edition with frogs on top are vere ace to, but that could be cos i’m getting old (;

Snotling:

It's amusing that they translate as battle lizards. Makes me wonder why they didn;t translate it properly, but always makes me think "that makes more sense", lol.

Hashut's Blessing
Because a "properly" translation in german for the Cold Ones would just sound pretty stupid in german ^^
Tichi-huici (sic?) had a whole squad of red-crested Skinks (a special breed able to ride cold ones) riding Horned Ones with him. They were all part of a "special spawning" and a 5th edition Regiment of Renown. Of course they might well have existed before that, but the latest incarnation was this at least.

snowblizz
Nope, that's not really true. And not wrong. :) In the 5th Edition there was a special Character, Inxi-Huizi. He lived in Lustria and rides a Horned One. This was the one with the special head Cold One. Tichi-Huichi was the leader of a Regiment of Renown. He and his riders are from the Southlands, but they also had Cold Ones. These models were also the models for the normal Cold One riding Skinks, Tichi-Huichi as their Champion. So Inxi-Huinzis Horned One was unique.
In the WD with the new rules of Saurus Cavallery (during the Albion campaign). At this time, GW declared all the mounts of Skinks as "Horned Ones for the Southlands", bcuase they look different to the fat lizards and the can only be played as a Regiment of Renown from the Southland. In this WD was also the picture of Inxi-Huinzi.