[Archive] Concerning the Wiki

Grimstonefire:

For those who did not see it mentioned in the other thread the wiki is back up! :hat off Hats  off to cornixt.

Anyhow, we now have to clarify what can and cannot be added.

We can add references to things (in text format) as long as they are appropriately sourced.  Also any other canon material that people want to add.

We cannot add images.  That is to say, any image that is not fan made cannot be put in the wiki.  For now that is the best course of action, but it obviously means that there will be some sections with big gaps… There may be some images that sneak through, it’s only just gone back up.

In the staff section we are discussing how best to fill those gaps in the long term, but I thought it was worth letting you all know now.  That way we don’t have to go through deleting all the images somebody thoughtfully added. :wink:

When we’ve made a decision we will tell all of you.

:s

Thommy H:

Get Baggronor to draw everything. I’m pretty sure he loves giving away his work for free.

Ancre:

Awww, how comes ? Copyright issues ? It’s not like you were making money out of it, I hardly see why there is problems :frowning: Or technical problems ?

I am a poor drawer but if I ever get good I will be happy drawing for you ! Me getting god is not going to happen though …

Anyways, at least it is good the wiki is back online

Pyro Stick:

So are we still allowed to use old catalogue pages like stuff of legends does?

Grimstonefire:

No.  That was something I raised in the staff section, until we can sort out the long term implications I think we should just link straight to their site for everything we can.  That takes care of most things without them being an issue for CDO.

Drawings aside we are free to take photos of our own models to load up.

@Ancre

Yes. Copyright issues.

clam:

Thx, Cornixt :smiley: - some of us have missed it alot. Great job.

And if ‘we’ need pictures for the GW miniature catalog pages - feel free to use mine - 100% fan made :wink: - I’ve linked to them here

I don’t quite know how the Wiki works, but for those who knows - feel free to use them.

Thommy H:

Those are some incredibly useful pictures, Clam. I didn’t spot them earlier.

Willmark:

The best bet is to avoid GW art and minis that they paint, we have enough talented folks here that should not be an issue.

cornixt:

If anyone spots art or photos of GW origin, then please point them out so we can remove them. Having the wiki up is the top priority, we don’t want to be forced offline again due to silly legal issues.

Do you think you can email the pictures? I could get the higher quality shots off photobucket but it will take 5 times as long.

dedwrekka:

For those who did not see it mentioned in the other thread the wiki is back up! :hat off Hats  off to cornixt.

Anyhow, we now have to clarify what can and cannot be added.

We can add references to things (in text format) as long as they are appropriately sourced.  Also any other canon material that people want to add.

We cannot add images.  That is to say, any image that is not fan made cannot be put in the wiki.  For now that is the best course of action, but it obviously means that there will be some sections with big gaps...  There may be some images that sneak through, it's only just gone back up.

In the staff section we are discussing how best to fill those gaps in the long term, but I thought it was worth letting you all know now.  That way we don't have to go through deleting all the images somebody thoughtfully added. ;)

When we've made a decision we will tell all of you.
:s

Grimstonefire
So can we do direct quotes as long as we give references to the source?

Ancre:

@Ancre
Yes.  Copyright issues.

Grimstonefire
Out of curiosity, I'm interested in understanding how does it breach the copyright laws, I thought it was only if you tried to make money out of it.

clam:

Do you think you can email the pictures? I could get the higher quality shots off photobucket but it will take 5 times as long.

cornixt
Yes I can. I've send you a PM regarding this.
Those are some incredibly useful pictures, Clam. I didn't spot them earlier.

Thommy H
Thx, and no, the have been kept a bit in secret ;) - but I did link to them long time ago in my auto sig. - and they have also been usefully when using the market section. Best way - form a collector's point of view - to make certain, which model is which - is to have clear pictures, I guess - and then it became almost a sport doing it for all of them.

BilboBaggins:

I thought fair use laws would be in effect for things posted on Wiki.

Thommy H:

How is someone else’s artwork “fair use”?

Bottom line: it’s illegal, we always knew it was illegal, and we were lucky we got away with it as long as we did.

Willmark:

Either way if we simply put our own art in there it then its a non-issue.

BilboBaggins:

Either way if we simply put our own art in there it then its a non-issue.

Willmark
That is true, controlling everything yourself is always better in the long run.

What I was talking about is the Fair Use section of the Copyright laws. It allows limited use of copyrighted works for various purposes which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered �?ofair,�?� such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thommy H:

I don’t think our Wiki falls under the auspicies of any of those particular fields. Its purpose, with the best will in the world, is nothing more than entertainment.

BilboBaggins:

Probably, but I would argue comment, citique, teaching and research myself. :smiley:

Thommy H:

Commenting on, critiquing, teaching about and researching for a game of toy soldiers, yeah.

BilboBaggins:

Commenting on, critiquing, teaching about and researching for a game of toy soldiers, yeah.

Thommy H
Well I did say I could argue the point. :hat off