[Archive] Concerning the Wiki

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I just wish this stuff fell into “Public Domain”. Ok, the art I can see…but the pics of the mini’s from the catalogue?

Anyway, I’m glad it’s running again!

cornixt:

With Clam’s help, the catalogue will be even better than before. I had always planned on doing this, but the necessity wasn’t there until now.

dedwrekka:

@Ancre
Yes.  Copyright issues.

Grimstonefire
Out of curiosity, I'm interested in understanding how does it breach the copyright laws, I thought it was only if you tried to make money out of it.

Ancre
It's any use of it without permission or any copy or use of it that's not protected under fair use laws. Copyright is literally the right to copy any work, not just to sell it.
GW even managed to get away with a very restrictive IP definition that gives them ownership of any work done in the name of their products.

This is from GW legal:
PLEASE NOTE that any work you create using our intellectual property is not "owned" by you. It is called a "derivative work" and those parts based upon our IP do not give rise to their own copyright. Please bear this in mind when using our IP
By using their intellectual property, they technically own what you produce from it. However it's all in how you prosecute.
Which is why manufactures that produce products intended for GW game systems will name it something that GW doesn't own the IP on, as it gives them plausible deny-ability in lawsuits.
I thought fair use laws would be in effect for things posted on Wiki.

BilboBaggins
Yes and no, Fair Use only applies to certain uses of the information, and only if those are properly cited and referenced. You'll notice that you can click on any picture in Wikipedia and find a detailed description of what it is, where it's from and under what law it's being used.

However, on that subject, pictures are quite different than words. To copy a few words is plagiarism unless cited, to copy artwork or a picture (which can be claimed as artwork) is stealing unless given permission by the owner.
You can't copyright common use words, but you can copyright images, and even images of words.
I just wish this stuff fell into "Public Domain". Ok, the art I can see...but the pics of the mini's from the catalogue?

Anyway, I'm glad it's running again!

Tarrakk Blackhand
It's their pictures.

Ancre:

Whoa, then laws are far more restricting then I thought. I thought you just couldn’t appropriate yourself someone else’s work ; it seems me and the law don’t have the same definition of appropriation then :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for the explanations !

cornixt:

By using their intellectual property, they technically own what you produce from it.

dedwrekka
Not quite. They are not allowed to use it themselves, but neither are you allowed to profit from it without permission or licensing.