[Archive] Concerns for the Legion of Azgorh list in regards to variety

Veshnakar:

Is it just me or does it seem at times that our list is incredibly lacking in variety? I know beggars can’t be choosers, and believe me, I have very happy that forgeworld has granted us a list to be used in typical games, but when I compare my Legion to my other army Tomb Kings, or any of my opponent’s armies, I just feel a real lack of diversity in our list.

Basically so far in the games I have played (over 35 or so at this point) I feel like I take the same units every game because we really don’t have that much to choose from, and this really disappoints me. Even if they had added a unit like Sneaky Gits as a special unit with scout, poisoned attacks, and throwing daggers, just that one unit alone would have left me feeling like the list had enough tactical diversity.

But I guess in all honesty we have about the same amount of tactical variety as Warriors of Chaos, except that where they have more monstrous infantry choices, and much more offensive infantry, we have much more defensively directed infantry with much more shooting/warmachines.

Have you guys ever started feeling this way? I’m not giving up on the army by any means, but the high point costs of our units coupled with having very unit choices leaves it feeling very very limited at times. Am I alone on this thought?

Veshnakar:

Is it just me or does it seem at times that our list is incredibly lacking in variety? I know beggars can’t be choosers, and believe me, I have very happy that forgeworld has granted us a list to be used in typical games, but when I compare my Legion to my other army Tomb Kings, or any of my opponent’s armies, I just feel a real lack of diversity in our list.

Basically so far in the games I have played (over 35 or so at this point) I feel like I take the same units every game because we really don’t have that much to choose from, and this really disappoints me. Even if they had added a unit like Sneaky Gits as a special unit with scout, poisoned attacks, and throwing daggers, just that one unit alone would have left me feeling like the list had enough tactical diversity.

But I guess in all honesty we have about the same amount of tactical variety as Warriors of Chaos, except that where they have more monstrous infantry choices, and much more offensive infantry, we have much more defensively directed infantry with much more shooting/warmachines.

Have you guys ever started feeling this way? I’m not giving up on the army by any means, but the high point costs of our units coupled with having very unit choices leaves it feeling very very limited at times. Am I alone on this thought?

aka_mythos:

It just comes with the territory of a Forgeworld army list. Forgeworld when it writes armylists tend to write them to represent specific armies. Whether its you, me, or someone else… we’re all playing an armylist meant to represent the Legion of Azgorh. While the Legion of Azgorh varied a little bit over its campaign, it didn’t vary that drastically.

Would it be great if GW or FW decided to do more?-Certainly… and that basically what you have to hold out hope for.

Rickie:

Actually I find the list suprisingly flexible. We pretty much have most of the choises the thing that limits us is the cost. The force will always be pretty small unless you use a lot of hobgoblins. But we do have choises, we have several fast units, relativly nice shooting. Elite and throwaway infantry.

Ideas I have been toying with (havent tried em all yet), include.

1. The usual anchor and make them come to you gunline. Works, kinda boring but it gets the job done.

2. A small variation on the gunline. But incoperate some fast elements that can punch throu a flank. On the orc forums I think they used to call it the hook in the older days.

3. MSU, I know there is a thread here on it somewhere. Maybe not the best army to use it with, but if done right should be able to work. This is the one I’m gonna try as soon as I get my greedy little hands on some Fireborn.

4. Can horde up lots of hobgoblins, (keep an eye on mantic). With some smaller key units of dwarfs around to keep them in check might take some regular opponets caught with their pants down.

These are just some of the things I myself has ponderd over. There are options, we have the leadership and tools needed to try even some really crazy ideas out. The only thing That kinda limits us is the core choises. You will in most cases want an anchor unit of dwarfs, then another unit of dwarfs or 2-3 units of hobgobs.

Not much to do there unless you go msu or mmu. But the goblins opens up some tactical options at least. I actually belive the CD’s would do better with more hobgoblins in them than most pepole here usually use.

Well there you have the keen insight from someone who should play more warhammer and less mmo’s.

This post actually inspired me to paint some… maybe should ramble more ofen :slight_smile:

deadlydeceiver:

I’m with Rickie in this one!

I think for such a short list we have a really nice variety (especially in the elite slot)

I think the main drawback is the lack of a fighty commander… but we got the Tau’ruk for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We have:

Elite Heros (Dwarfs / Tau’ruk)

Cheap Heros (Hobbos)

Elite Infantry (IG / IS)

Horde Infantry (Hobbos)

Fast Beasts

Monstr. Inf.

Artillery

Unique Warmachine

Monsters

Hellcannon

Fast Cav

Basically we’re just missing skirmishers… and if that’s so terrible for you, just play Treehuggers :sick

You can build an army around every single one of those units:

Gunline

CC blocks (Elite and Horde)

Monsters

Even a fast army is possible (Mounted Prophet, Khans, Wolfriders, BC, maybe Iron Deamon and Destroyer)

Triple Iron Deamon

Variety was nothing I missed in the LoA. Especially when compared to the RH-List…

DD

Ender SpiteSworn:

I agree with the above posters that there is variety, sometimes (as with all armies), you get stuck in a rut. Try some radical changes and build a list around it (e.g. 2 bull centaurs units).

I have been fielding a pretty ballanced list, but am working on a total monster mash supported by hobgoblin hordes as followes:

Lord on Bale Tauris (Hashut)

lvl 1 w/scroll (metal)

BC Hero

Khan on Wolf

30 Cut throats

2x20 cut throats w/Bows

10 hellglaves

8 K’daai fireborn

3 Bull Centaurs

Destroyer

Well that may not be as ballanecd and effiecient, looks fun to play and could be really nasty…

Thommy H:

It’s a fact that it doesn’t have as much variety as modern Armies Books. With two Core choices, one of which has only one really viable set of options, there aren’t exactly a lot of alternate themes to explore. It’s pretty much blocks of Infernal Guard backed up by war machines or nothing.

zhatan87:

Basically we're just missing skirmishers...
And flyers... (if we don't count flying monsters).

Like deadlydeceiver, I find the list pretty versatile. I even played a monster build list with somme success.
The only downside is our core choices, which are pretty slow, so that it can be difficult to make rush comp list.

Da Crusha:

I tried a list with 120 something hobgoblins and a lot of big nasty warmachines. bunkered in the corner it could be pretty mean. also I have heard nasty things about a 3 iron deamon list.

nilbog:

One of the problems is points cost - once we’ve paid for overpriced core, got a lord and a bsb, you want to be really efficient in spending points. That basically means magma cannons, deathshriekers and destroyers. Certainly you could have a taaruk, or a lord on a taurus, or lots of iron daemons, which are all fairly priced.

Discoking:

I was thinking the list wasn’t varied, but there’s things in the list I have even thought of using… Until now!

Siege Giant

Fireborn

Iron Daemon

Dreadquake

Lammasu

Ta’aurok

Plenty of options!

Marduk:

It depends what you compare them with. My other armies are Bretonnia and Dwarfs, so I think my Chaos Dwarfs offer more variety, but if I compare them with the newest army books I can see that CDs have fewer choices.

Veshnakar:

You know, you guys really are right. I think it’s just when I compare them to like… Tomb Kings, Empire, Vampires, or Ogres that it doesn’t seem like we have much variety because in all honesty we do have a good bit of selection. It think it’s more the points cost of the stuff in the list that I just never feel like I am including enough. I’ve started to rectify this by including 40 strong hordes of naked hobgobs to fill out my list so it doesn’t feel so insanely tiny as it does when I include large units of infernals. I really wish the accepted norm for point values was 3000, because then I could fit in a lot more of what I want.

Sometimes I just need to ignore the fact that some selections are much better than others, and take some of the expensive but less used choices like Ironsworn, Iron Daemons, Blunderbusses and so forth just to add to the variety. I think I was just having a low day that day because when I look at the depth of the Tomb Kings list it’s like “yikes!”.

Background and models are what have always drawn me to chaos dwarves, and sometimes the “on the table” side of the list gets to me a little, but the list is fluffy, it’s not nearly overpowered (which is great because it deters bandwagoneers), and the models are gorgeous.

cornixt:

This is probably why so many army lists look pretty much the same. Once you’ve shelled out for the basic needs for a valid army, there isn’t much left for anything else. Giving Infernal Guard some decently priced options would help significantly when it comes to variety since those are effectively mandatory. Other than that, you have to get to 3k armies before you can branch out into more interesting things like many monster units or HG spam.

Loki:

We have 3 CD players at my club and i am happy to say that all of our armies very different, one is heavy on hobgoblins, one on war machines and mine is heavy on CD foot troops, of course we have some units the same like the iron daemon but its nice that there is such variety between the list , so it can be done it just depends on how you like to play your army.

cornixt:

This is probably why so many army lists look pretty much the same. Once you’ve shelled out for the basic needs for a valid army, there isn’t much left for anything else. Giving Infernal Guard some decently priced options would help significantly when it comes to variety since those are effectively mandatory. Other than that, you have to get to 3k armies before you can branch out into more interesting things like many monster units or HG spam.

MLP:

I think as the army is pretty elite with expensive units you do tend to see a good variety of armies. I play 1000-2000 point battles and can’t include everything I want in one list, so I have to have varied lists!

The only area I think we lack in variety is Core and Lord. We have plenty of Heroes, Specials and Rares to keep it interseting.

If only we had just one more Core I’d be happy!

Loki:

We have 3 CD players at my club and i am happy to say that all of our armies very different, one is heavy on hobgoblins, one on war machines and mine is heavy on CD foot troops, of course we have some units the same like the iron daemon but its nice that there is such variety between the list , so it can be done it just depends on how you like to play your army.

Lava Lord:

Loki
Loki, I don't have the book with the LoA in it yet, it is coming. but until this post, I havn't seen anything mentioned about the hobgoblins or their bolt throwers.:idea In the LoA list are these two units available?? I have some and would like to use them..! thanx :hat off

Marduk:

Loki
Loki, I don't have the book with the LoA in it yet, it is coming.  but until this post, I havn't seen anything mentioned about the hobgoblins or their bolt throwers.:idea  In the LoA list are these two units available??  I have some and would like to use them..!  thanx  :hat off

Lava Lord
There are no bolt throwers available.