[Archive] Concerns for the Legion of Azgorh list in regards to variety

MLP:

I think as the army is pretty elite with expensive units you do tend to see a good variety of armies. I play 1000-2000 point battles and can’t include everything I want in one list, so I have to have varied lists!

The only area I think we lack in variety is Core and Lord. We have plenty of Heroes, Specials and Rares to keep it interseting.

If only we had just one more Core I’d be happy!

Lava Lord:

We have 3 CD players at my club and i am happy to say that all of our armies very different, one is heavy on hobgoblins, one on war machines and mine is heavy on CD foot troops, of course we have some units the same like the iron daemon but its nice that there is such variety between the list , so it can be done it just depends on how you like to play your army.

Loki
Loki, I don't have the book with the LoA in it yet, it is coming. but until this post, I havn't seen anything mentioned about the hobgoblins or their bolt throwers.:idea In the LoA list are these two units available?? I have some and would like to use them..! thanx :hat off

Marduk:

We have 3 CD players at my club and i am happy to say that all of our armies very different, one is heavy on hobgoblins, one on war machines and mine is heavy on CD foot troops, of course we have some units the same like the iron daemon but its nice that there is such variety between the list , so it can be done it just depends on how you like to play your army.

Loki
Loki, I don't have the book with the LoA in it yet, it is coming.  but until this post, I havn't seen anything mentioned about the hobgoblins or their bolt throwers.:idea  In the LoA list are these two units available??  I have some and would like to use them..!  thanx  :hat off

Lava Lord
There are no bolt throwers available.

Far2Casual:

The LoA list is varied enough in my eyes. Even compared to new books. I am an Ogre player and if you compare the books you have :

Lords : Ogres 2, LoA 1
Heroes : Ogres 4, LoA 4
Core : Ogre 3 (with no options), LoA 2 (lots of options)
Special : Ogres 6, LoA 6
Rare : Ogres 5, LoA 5

In core, we may only have 2 units, but they have many options, so they can play different roles or be played differently. Gobbos with spear or bows, IG with shields, GW, blunderbusses or fireglaives, that’s close to 6 different units in many books (like Empire : human with bows, crossbows, halberds, swords, lance, …).

The only real thing that is missing is a fighty Lord character, that’s true. But considering the polyvalence of the Prophet (Ld 10, magic and potent in combat with the mount option) and its cost, you won’t take anything else in most games anyway. So yeah it’s limited but viable.

Now the typical LoA netlists aren’t varied, because :
a. The units cost so much that you are limited to very few units in a typical 2k-2k5 game
b. There are obvious choices and others that aren’t so great

To go back to my other army (ogres), it’s about the same problem (3 characters, cores, the same 2-3 specials and one rare). But having played with the old 6th ed Ogre book (3 cores, 3 specials, 4 rares !!), I can tell you that the amount of units you have in the LoA list is more than enough to ensure variety if you really want to !

Far2Casual:

The LoA list is varied enough in my eyes. Even compared to new books. I am an Ogre player and if you compare the books you have :

Lords : Ogres 2, LoA 1
Heroes : Ogres 4, LoA 4
Core : Ogre 3 (with no options), LoA 2 (lots of options)
Special : Ogres 6, LoA 6
Rare : Ogres 5, LoA 5

In core, we may only have 2 units, but they have many options, so they can play different roles or be played differently. Gobbos with spear or bows, IG with shields, GW, blunderbusses or fireglaives, that’s close to 6 different units in many books (like Empire : human with bows, crossbows, halberds, swords, lance, …).

The only real thing that is missing is a fighty Lord character, that’s true. But considering the polyvalence of the Prophet (Ld 10, magic and potent in combat with the mount option) and its cost, you won’t take anything else in most games anyway. So yeah it’s limited but viable.

Now the typical LoA netlists aren’t varied, because :
a. The units cost so much that you are limited to very few units in a typical 2k-2k5 game
b. There are obvious choices and others that aren’t so great

To go back to my other army (ogres), it’s about the same problem (3 characters, cores, the same 2-3 specials and one rare). But having played with the old 6th ed Ogre book (3 cores, 3 specials, 4 rares !!), I can tell you that the amount of units you have in the LoA list is more than enough to ensure variety if you really want to !

Ghrask Dragh:

All the other army books are for entire races, our LoA is just a city of chaos dwarfs isn’t it? not a whole race so its not going to be as varied as it will if they ever get around to doing a whole army book for us.

Still its good to see that people have found variety in what have got though. First we had to be creative with miniatures and full Ravening Hordes list, now we have to be creative with lists and official range of mini’s :smiley:

Ghrask Dragh:

All the other army books are for entire races, our LoA is just a city of chaos dwarfs isn’t it? not a whole race so its not going to be as varied as it will if they ever get around to doing a whole army book for us.

Still its good to see that people have found variety in what have got though. First we had to be creative with miniatures and full Ravening Hordes list, now we have to be creative with lists and official range of mini’s :smiley: