[Archive] Cooking! **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

ClawLeader:

So yes this is one of few things I really enjoy, and here I am making bbq sauce from scratch. And I was thinking hopefully the good people of cdo have a few cooks from all over. That being said maybe we can talk food and making it with out using a box or anything else. I’ll update pics of this sauce soon.

I cook a lot from scratch.

ClawLeader:

Here is a shot on the stove

And bottled

Skink:

Ah, cooking! Yesterday I made myself an obscenely big plate of Pasta Carbonara… And tomorrow I got friends coming over for Haggis, Neeps and Tatties (love Haggis).

I mainly cook Italian food, but I do love Burgers, Pies, Cheese Fondue, and generally I like Swiss food (I lived above Interlaken for more than a year, and probably I’ll be in Zermatt this winter).

Check these out:

kalbsgeschnetzeltes
Alpen Macaroni

ClawLeader:

I’ve been making a lot of food I just have been eating it before posting pictures.

Lately I made tortillas from scratch and had carnitas with a homemade salsa. Wish I did demolish it, but if you got questions on texmex I can help.

Also I love Italian, what can you all make?

Grimstonefire:

I’ll have to get you the receipe we use for bbq sauce. It’s very nice.

cornixt:

I have a rule: if it takes me longer in preparation time to make than it does to eat, I’m not cooking it. That doesn’t include time when it is sitting in an oven or boiling on a stove, and doesn’t include desserts.

Rickie:

Mostly cook for myself. So mostly stuff thats fast or big stuff you can portion out easily and put in the frezzer.

If I cook for more then myself, I bring out the big guns.

Summer is over, but I should be able to Barbeque once or twice more. BBQ is where it’s at.

Vogon:

I enjoy cooking and do have a couple of dishes that I do really well (well everyone in the family eats it and asks for seconds).

My speciality is Toad in the Hole, well being a Yorkshire Lad it’s expected that I can make a good Yorkshire Pudding :wink:

I can happily spend half a day in the Kitchen with my Missus preparing a Sunday Roast but unfortunately during the week I don’t get much chance to cook because of my commute.

Cheers

Vogon

ClawLeader:

Actually I wanted some help from the brits on this thread, I really want an authentic shepherds pie receipe and anything else very British would be cool.

@grim I am texan so bbq is in my lifeblood :slight_smile:

Sidenote. Almost done restoring a barrel style charcoal grill. When its done I’ll submit pics

cornixt:

Delia Smith has the best recipes for British foods. Be aware that British pints are a different size to US pints, and everything larger too.

Khaas:

I actually worked as a sous chef in New England years ago, since I got married 8 years ago I’ve really started cooking seriously again. This year I’ve decided to challenge myself, every month I will master three dishes (one soup, one dumpling, and one pie). The purpose is to get out of my comfort zone, and cook some food that I personally love. Next year I will probably focus more on deserts and baking, but for now I think the pie especially will be a good starting off point. I’m of Italian/Russian dissent and spent a couple of years working in a French restaurant. However, I grew up and live in the southern united states, so my cooking style is really all over the board.

Vogon:

I really want an authentic shepherds pie receipe

ClawLeader
Welcome to the debate :)

There is much debate in the UK over whether Shepherd's Pie should be made with minced beef or minced lamb, both are regularly called Shepherd's pie in shops and restaurants.

My own opinion (from what I was served growing up) is it should actually be minced mutton.

As far as a recipe you wouldn't go far wrong if you used this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shepherdspie_2077

Though I think I'd skip the anchovy essence.

Cheers

Vogon

ClawLeader:

Food is pretty much the doorway into another culture. Having just got back from Japan and the Philippines all I can say is exploring food is always a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up everyone concerning shepards pie.

Grill is almost done being restored

Khaas:

I can attest to that Shepherd’s Pie. I’ve also made the Gordon Ramsay recipe they have listed from his original version of Kitchen Nightmares. Shepherd’s Pie is one of my favorites, especially as the temperature drops outside.

cornixt:

Since shepherds tended to herd sheep, rather than cows (cowherds did that) they were much morely likely to have a source of lamb than beef. Cottage pie doesn’t have the same restrictions though.

ClawLeader:

I am assuming cottage pie calls for beef.

Lamb isn’t too hard to get here, so minced lamb eh? I’ll try to convince the wife to eat it.

Vogon:

Since shepherds tended to herd sheep, rather than cows (cowherds did that) they were much more likely to have a source of lamb than beef.

cornixt
I agree wholeheartedly with the lack of availability of beef for a shepherd but for some reason it doesn't seem to stop the debate.

However, shepherds were much more likely to sell the lamb (being an expensive meat) and therefore eat mutton (the cheaper meat as the sheep nears the end of its useful life). Mutton is also much more strongly flavoured and less fatty so a healthier option.

Cheers

Vogon

Skink:

Ah, pies! I definitely ate my best ones in the UK. Possibly accompanied with a home made bread & butter or Sticky toffee pudding.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Aww man I love cooking. Though I have to move most of the more complex stuff to the weekend, since I usually get home late from work during the week. But then when I have enough time it’s all sorts of baking, cooking and frying!

I must also stress, being able to cook something tasty never fails to impress the ladies. :wink:

ClawLeader:

It is the easiest way to get a lady out of your league, that’s for sure. When mine found out I had toy soldiers she just rolled her eyes and proclaimed "nerd… " and walked away.