[Archive] Costing Daemons

lostmember:

I’ve never written rules for Daemons before, so I was wondering if anyone had a basic formula for daemonic attributes. My fluff calls for them to be in the army book, so I’d like to have a crack.

Cheers.

cornixt:

Generally it’s just guesswork. Pick an existing unit that is similar and then adjust it.

Thommy H:

I’m not sure what you mean by “Daemonic attributes”. There’s nothing different about the special rules Daemons have - they just have Hatred or Poisoned Attacks or whatever.

Grimstonefire:

Unstable would be a better start than using Daemonic Instability imo.  Chances are it’ll replace it in the next DoC update.

Edit.

If you’re looking for a decent set of rules for hashut themed daemons I’d take bloodletters and replace killing blow with Flaming attacks and a -1 to wound them.

lostmember:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Daemonic attributes". There's nothing different about the special rules Daemons have - they just have Hatred or Poisoned Attacks or whatever.

Thommy H
Do they not still have Daemonic Aura etc?

Thommy H:

It’s a 5+ ward save. And yeah, as Grim says: Unstable is the way to go. All the Daemons in Storm of Chaos have that. The following rules are really what make a Daemon:

• Unbreakable

• Unstable

• 5+ ward save

• Fear

Then you give them appropriate special rules. In general, Khorne Daemons have Frenzy, Hatred, Killing Blow and/or Magic Resistance, Nurgle Daemons have Poisoned Attacks, Regeneration and/or flies/miasma etc. that give -1 to hit penalty, Tzeentch Daemons have Flaming Attacks and/or better spell-casting or some sort of magical shooting attack and Slaanesh Daemons have Always Strikes First and/or Armour Piercing.

Costs vary depending on the unit you give all these to.

lostmember:

It's a 5+ ward save. And yeah, as Grim says: Unstable is the way to go. All the Daemons in Storm of Chaos have that. The following rules are really what make a Daemon:

• Unbreakable
  • Unstable
  • 5+ ward save
  • Fear

Thommy H
Shows how long it is since I fought daemons.

Thommy H:

And by “Storm of Chaos” I mean “Storm of Magic”, of course.