[Archive] "Counts As" Armies

Hammerhand:

I’m not sure if this has been done already, so please add a link if it has but this thread is all about putting together ‘counts as’ armies for use in tournaments where CDs are not allowed.��If you have used your army as a ‘Count’s As’ army, or are putting one together, please tell us what your units ‘counted as’ here!

To get the ball rolling:

Hordes of Chaos[/u]

Lords

CD Lord = lord of chaos

Marks:

Undivided = Talisman of Gorgoth - May re-roll failed psychology tests

Khorne = Hammer of Malice - subject to frenzy, adds one dice to dispel pool

Nurgle = Armour of Ishkur al Salat - Hero causes fear, has + 1 wound

Slaanesh = Obsidian Helm - immune to psychology

Bull Centaur Lord

BC Lord = Lord of chaos + chaos steed.

Marks:

As CD Lord

CD Sorceror Lord (or High Priest!!) = Exalted Sorceror of Chaos or Lord of chaos with mark of Tzeench

Marks (Exalted Sorceror only)

Undivided = Talisman of Gorgoth - May re-roll failed psychology tests

Nurgle = Armour of Ishkur al Salat - Hero causes fear, has + 1 wound, can use nurgle spells (make more chaos dwarfy!)

Slaanesh = Obsidian Helm - immune to psychology, can use slaanesh spells (make more Chaos Dwarfy)

Lord + Mark of Tzeench= Lv 4 sorceror, can ride a Lammasu = Disc of Tzeench (ok, rubbish at fighting/walking but at least it can fly(float)

Heroes[/u]

All as above except hero with mark of tzeench is Lv 2 sorceror and can’t ride a Lammasu.

Core[/u]CD Warriors = Chaos warriors

Marks:

Khorne - Banner of zharr nagrund -frenzy, +1 dispel dice

Nurgle - horn of mourn - Cause Fear

Tzeench - Obsidian Gems - + 1 power dice

CD Immortals (0-1) = Chaos ‘chosen’ warriors + mark of slaanesh

(immune to psychology/chaos (dwarf)armour, + 1A)

Bull Centaurs = Chaos Knights

Marks:

Khorne - Banner of zharr nagrund -frenzy, +1 dispel dice

Nurgle - horn of mourn - Cause Fear

Tzeench - Obsidian Gems - + 1 power dice

Slaanesh - immune to psychology

(0-1) Chosen - +1A, 1+ Armour save

{EDIT} BCs could also count as Dragon Ogres with Great weapons from the Beasts of Chaos list as a rare choice.

Hobgoblins = Chaos Marauders

Hobgoblin Wolf Riders = Marauder Horsemen[/i]

Good Points[/u]

IMMORTALS!!!

Rock hard Bull Centaurs

Can make a really powerfull sorceror lord on lammasu

Use Marks of Chaos as fluffy CD magic items!

If your army points more towards Chaos than Hashut (like mine!), can fit in Chaos units/deamons quite easily (Trolls/Ogres/Giant/Beastmen anyone?{count as special/rare choices from the beasts of chaos rules})

Bad Points:[/u]

Rules for Marks of Chaos

Movement not dwarf like

No Orcs unless tournament allows allies/ DoW

No war machines or blunderbuss!

SUMMARY

Its going to be hard to make an accurate CD army using this list.��The main focus is on Warriors, Hobgoblins, Immortals and Bull Centaurs as the other unit entries in the army don’t represent well.��Also, If you want to have the Immortals as hard as their rules suggest, then the General will have to have the mark of Chaos undidvided or slaanesh, so if you want a Lammasu, you can’t have the immune to psychology immortals (they can still have the armour and attack, but the mark of tzeench just makes them add a power dice).��

OK, any comments please and suggestions for other counts as lists (dwarfs! O& G’s, Empire etc,etc.)

Uzkul Werit:

Dwarfs would be far more accurate. No spellcasters,flyers or Bull Centaur characters but everything else is doable. Some bloke from GW Canada did something similar. Hobgoblins would be done by either taking Kislev allies (lots of fast cav) or by hiring DOW. Ironbreakers would be spot on for Immortals.

Grimstonefire:

DWARFS

LORD:

Chaos Dwarf Lord (Dwarf Lord)

- Shield Bearers could make an awesome conversion in themselves.��Very useful in gaming terms.

- Oathstone.��Could make for dynamic character conversions.

Sorcerer Lord (Runelord)

The sorcerer is nowhere near as useful in the Dwarf list (compared to chaos), but in a Dwarf ‘counts as’ list he would be very useful.

- Anvil.��You can’t really represent the Lammasu in gaming terms in a Dwarf themed list (without using DoW), But as shown by our showcase army, a stationary CD themed anvil can be a centrepiece of the army.��You could paint paint a Lammasu as stone, make a statue, or some sort of stationary mechanical monstrosity.

BC Lord (n/a)

There isn’t a suitable equivalent in this list.��The only possibility would be a BC rearing up on his hind legs on a 20mm x 20mm base, counted as a Daemon Slayer… :~��Not a great choice really.

EDIT: Could use a Daemon Slayer as a Berserker lord

HERO:

Chaos Dwarf Hero (Dwarf Thane)

Same as usual.

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (Runesmith)

As with the Runelord, not a great equivalent, but still usefull.

Hobgoblin Hero (n/a)

There isn’t a suitable choice for him IMO.

BC Hero(n/a)

Unless you want to go down the Dragon slayer route, nothing useful here.

EDIT: Could use a Dragon Slayer as a Berserker Hero

Arcane Engineer [Master Engineer] - A chance for a cool addition here

CORE

Chaos Dwarf Warriors (Dwarf Warriors)

Note that you could even do Chaos Dwarf Ancients/ Longbeards

Blunderbussers (Thunderers)

Several choices here because of a Quarrellers or Rangers equivalent.

Hobgoblins

Nothing appropriate here really, you could use rangers as a Sneaky Git scouting unit perhaps?��Maybe Quarellers as ‘sniper Hobgoblins’? No Wolf rider equivalent.

SPECIAL:[/b]Immortals/ Black Orcs[/b] (Hammerers OR Ironbreakers)

A great reason to use the Dwarf list here.��Ironbreakers and Hammerers have the rules to make 2 exceptionally fluffy Chaos Dwarf units.

Orcs[/b] (Slayers)

Not a great comparison really, but as a ‘counts as’ unit I guess it could work.��Chaos Dwarf Berserkers would fit in perfectly.

Goblins[/b] (n/a)

Who uses goblins anyway. :wink:

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower [/b](Dwarf Bolt Thrower)

Sneaky Gits[/b] (n/a)

Nothing immediately obvious here, but could use Rangers?

Death Rocket[/b] (Grudge Thrower, Cannon or Organ Gun)

Great chance here to adapt the design of the rockets so you can use all choices in different roles.

Combat Engineers [Miners] - A cool addition to a Chaos Dwarf Force

RARE[/b]Bull Centaurs[/b] (Slayers?)

Only option here I can think of (aside from DOW) are Slayers (using them as infantry modelled on their hind legs). Seriouly underused when not being used as cavalry and very hard to model well.

Earthshaker[/b] (Cannon, Grudge Thrower or Flame Cannon)

Three artillery choices here!

Lammasu - Gyrocopter?

SUMMARY:

On the plus side you have access to plenty of elite infanty to create themed units from.��The Dwarf list must be the best ‘counts as’ army for this.��Added to this, more artillery than you could ever need for CD equivalents!!!��The core choices are a lot more exciting too.��You also have appropriate profiles and movement for a Chaos Dwarf army.

On the negative side the Lammasu, Great Taurus, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Wolf Riders, Sneaky Gits and Bull Centaurs are all effectively out of the list.

So you lose out on some areas, but more than make up for them in others (IMO).��How well the Dwarfs would stand as a ‘counts as’ army would really depend on how passionate you were about the bits you would no longer be able to use.

I think someone should really do an Empire ‘counts as’ list here.��I don’t have access to the new book, :frowning: but that could make an amazing army.��Mechanical Dragon/ uber Great Taurus anyone? :slight_smile:

Hammerhand:

I think someone should really do an Empire 'counts as' list here.��I don't have access to the new book

Grimstonefire
I agree, Empire have such a mix of units, flagelents as slaves? they've got that rocket thingy (i wonder what we could use that for!!), Having BCs count as Knights of the white wolf of the inner circle, a fire wizard, the list goes on. Someone with the book please put a 'counts as' list up

Great work on the 'counts as' Dwarfs list BTW grim. :hat off

Rumi:

for the gyrocopter why not created a steampunk mechanical CD themed gyrocopter! man that would be so coool! In fact I may try that ! :slight_smile: I agree that a dwarf count as CD seems the most accurate, it still has holes but what count as list dosen’t?

Cotter:

Morning,

the biggest problem I see with the “Chaos” counts-as-list is the base size. All chaos models are based on the bigger 25mm bases, whereas (chaos) dwarves are on the smaller 20mm bases. Chosen warriors with Great Weapon and the small frontage of a dwarf unit would definetly rock, though…

I guess counts-as-dwarfs is the best solution.

Tallhat:

I love hammerhands version based on the HoC. Much better than ordinary dwarfs.

- Tallhat

Uzkul Werit:

DOW could fill in lots of spots in the Dwarf list. Heavy Cav become Bull Centaurs, Duellists become Sneaky Gitz and Fast Cav become Wolfboyz.

Cotter:

And DoW have an entry for Dwarf Warriors, haven�t they? They are allowed to use cannons.

They have the matching Heavy infantry and various cavalry and artillery options. That could actually work quite well as Counts as List… Good idea, Uzkul!

Uzkul Werit:

And the Heavy Cav would be a good deal more effective than the current Bull Centaurs.

Willmark:

Add mine to the chorus. Dwarfs make the best choice for a count as army. If for no other reason then base size. Because of this chaos is effectively eliminated unless you place them on 20 mm bases, and if chaos warrior infantry wasn’t difficult enough to rank up!

Hammerhand:

DOW could fill in lots of spots in the Dwarf list. Heavy Cav become Bull Centaurs, Duellists become Sneaky Gitz and Fast Cav become Wolfboyz.

Uzkul Werit
DoW are rare choices tho.

Hammerhand:

Add mine to the chorus. Dwarfs make the best choice for a count as army. If for no other reason then base size. Because of this chaos is effectively eliminated unless you place them on 20 mm bases, and if chaos warrior infantry wasn't difficult enough to rank up!

Willmark
Your probably right WM, but the point of this thread was for people who may not have access to the dwarf army book, but might have an empire one or HoC one lying around, so I wanted to try and gather as many different 'counts as' lists as possible! Which one is the best is just down to personal opinion!

We have a Dwarf 'CA list and a Chaos 'CA list, someone has mentioned empire but not posted a list so that to come hopefully. Lets see if we cant fit CDs into Skaven or High elves or something. once we have a few more we could come up with a diffinitive list incorporating all peoples comments and ideas.

Uzkul Werit:

They are indeed Rare Choices but the only Rare Choice in the Dwarf list that could fit into ours is the Copter.

Hammerhand:

They are indeed Rare Choices but the only Rare Choice in the Dwarf list that could fit into ours is the Copter.

Uzkul Werit
Yes, but you are still limited to 2 DoW units Maximumin a 1500pt army. It could plug a couple of holes, I agree.

minty:

or, you could use the dogs of war list.

dwarf warriors fill out the special, duelists and pikement to represent hobgoblins, heavy cavalry for bulls, light cav for hobgob wolfboys, and other stuff for rare.

just another suggestion

Khan!:

The biggest problem in finding counts-as lists is the core troop with Toughness 4, I think. I don’t have too much of a problem with modelling Chaos Dwarfs on larger bases to count-as Chaos Warriors, but T3 Empire state troops don’t say “dwarf” to me, although the war machines might. I was thinking about orcs as a counts-as list, modelling orcs as CDs (again on larger bases) but then they lose the famous dwarf discipline, so I dunno about that option.

What about a counts-as LIZARDMEN list? Hmm actually that idea seems pretty good…

Slann as Sorcerer Lord on Palanquin

Saurus Lord as Chaos Dwarf Lord

Carnosaur as Bull Centaur Lord/Great Taurus

Skink sorcerers as Hobgoblin shamans/apprentice sorcerers

Saurus as Chaos Dwarf warriors (lose the WS, but get the second attack instead and keep the discipline with Cold-Blooded)

Skinks as Hobbos

Cold Ones as Bull Centaurs

Salamanders as mobile flame-thrower machines!

Stegadon as Kolossus

Pteradons (is that their name?) as gyrocoptery machines

Kroxigor as golems/robots/ogres/steampunk ogre cyborgs!

Junge Swarms as…ash waste swarms? Lava beetles? hmmm…

How about that then? I guess there would be no more blunderbuss, and no more deathrocket/earthshaker…

Hammerhand:

The biggest problem in finding counts-as lists is the core troop with Toughness 4, I think.��I don't have too much of a problem with modelling Chaos Dwarfs on larger bases to count-as Chaos Warriors, but T3 Empire state troops don't say "dwarf" to me, although the war machines might.��I was thinking about orcs as a counts-as list, modelling orcs as CDs (again on larger bases) but then they lose the famous dwarf discipline, so I dunno about that option.

What about a counts-as LIZARDMEN list?��Hmm actually that idea seems pretty good.....

Slann as Sorcerer Lord on Palanquin
Saurus Lord as Chaos Dwarf Lord
Carnosaur as Bull Centaur Lord/Great Taurus
Skink sorcerers as Hobgoblin shamans/apprentice sorcerers

Saurus as Chaos Dwarf warriors (lose the WS, but get the second attack instead and keep the discipline with Cold-Blooded)
Skinks as Hobbos
Cold Ones as Bull Centaurs
Salamanders as mobile flame-thrower machines!
Stegadon as Kolossus
Pteradons (is that their name?) as gyrocoptery machines
Kroxigor as golems/robots/ogres/steampunk ogre cyborgs!
Junge Swarms as......ash waste swarms?��Lava beetles?��hmmm...

How about that then?��I guess there would be no more blunderbuss, and no more deathrocket/earthshaker.....

Khan!
Cool! this is just the sort of thing we need! Basically what I'm aiming for is a definitive guide so that whatever army you play, you can convert a CD army and use the rules you've got!

Minty - DoW sounds good, don't have the book though. Could you post a list like Khan/Grim/myself

minty:

Lords

Mercenary general - chaos dwarf lord (low T I kniw, but it’s the best I’ve got)

Wizard lord - sorcerer lord with pegasus as a lammassu

Heros

mercenary captain - chaos dwarf hero (he’s T4, so I guess it works)

hireling wizard - hobgoblin wizard (T3, so can’t work as a chaos dwarf)

paymaster - hobgoblin hero

Core

Pikemen - hobgoblin warriors

Crossbowmen - hobgoblin shooters

duelists - sneaky gits with either additional hand weapon or pistol

Light cav- hobgoblin wolf riders

Heavy cavalry - Bull centaurs

Special

Dwarfs - chaos dwarfs

dwarfs with crossbows - chaos dwarf crossbowmen

Ogres - golems/ogre slaves

Halflings - small hobgoblins/ snotlings deamon potato sacks

norse bezerkers - crazed slaves/drugged hobgoblins

Rare

Cannon - hobgoblin/slave crewed warmachine

Hotpot - potato launcher crewed by potato sacks

Regiments of renown

if you think I have the attention span to do these guys you should lay of the gin and tonic, just come up with your own

AGPO:

Morning,

the biggest problem I see with the "Chaos" counts-as-list is the base size. All chaos models are based on the bigger 25mm bases, whereas (chaos) dwarves are on the smaller 20mm bases. Chosen warriors with Great Weapon and the small frontage of a dwarf unit would definetly rock, though...

I guess counts-as-dwarfs is the best solution.

Cotter
I agree. The main idea behind this is that CDs can be used in tournaments, and most tournaments insist on correct base size. Here is my own take on the Dwarf list, slightly diferent to Grim's:
Lords
Dwarf Lord - Chaos Dwarf Lord
Runelord - Sorcerer Lord
Anvil of Doom - Stoned sorcerer lord
Daemon Slayer - Possesed Berzerker
Heroes
Thane - CD Hero
Runesmith - Shadow or Death sorcerer
Engineer - Metal or Fire Sorcerer
Dragon Slayer - Berzerker "hero"
Core
Dwarf Warriors - CD Warriors
Thunderers - Blunderbussiers
Quarrelers - CD Crossbows (3rd ed style)
Miners - Combat Engineers/Furnace Guard
Special
Hammerers - General's Bodyguard
Ironbreakers - Immortals
Slayers - Berzerkers
Bolt Throwers - Bolt Throwers
Stone Thrower - Earthshaker
Cannon - Death Rocket
Rare
Gyrocopter - Great Taurus (With beastmaster rider rather than lord to explain the crappy stats)
Organ Gun - Gatling Gun
Flame Cannon - Hellcannon

In addition to this DoW heavy Cavalry could be used for bull centaurs