[Archive] Creating bases

Skink:

I want to make a base for my Iron Daemon, but I haven’t got any specific idea. Wood maybe? Or plastic? And where can I find a plastic sheet that is thick enough to make a nice base? I think that the biggest issue are the edges, as GW’s are slightly bent… Anybody out there can help me?

bas_2312:

Have you thought about using the enormous Arachnarok base?

Skink:

being honest no, but it looks kinda squared to me (other than enormous)… The Iron Daemon is a rectangular model. And is not as massive as you might imagine from pics on the warhammer forge website. The base I need is basically slightly larger than a chariot base

Bolg:

If you want a circular base, use 2 beermats they come in all sises (:

fonejaker:

Do what i do

1 : Find a photo frame where the inside is just a little bigger than your desired model

2 : take out all the glass or clear plastic

3 : add wood glue to the side of the back board and glue it into the frame (use the little metal holders to hold it in place)

4 : Fill the center with what ever terrain you want (lave rock in my case)

5 : paint it up , paint the border back to give it a professional look.

(mine is rather abit larger as i wanted it for a diorama for games day)

if you want me to post my iron demon attached to the base then please just ask!!!

vulcanologist:

That’s an interesting idea Fonejacker never seen that done before! I hand make all my bases with a thick plasticard sheet then build the rim with offcuts of sprues. If it’s a display base such as for the iron daemon I then just fill it with plaster.

Baggronor:

Or movement trays. They make good bases.

Skink:

…I think Baggronor’s and Vulcanologist’s ideas are the best so far! Fonejaker, can you post the Iron Daemon attached to your frame please?

Abecedar:

I use 3mm MDF cut to whatever size I need. For the edges use the long matchsticks, they are about 3mm thick. You can bevel them or sand them to a round edge, whatever your preference. Must seal them though otherwise water will infiltrate them and they’ll get ruined. for that I put a couple of coats of diluted “Bondcrete”. on them

fonejaker:

HERPA DERP

sorry for the bad photo

Golder Goldeater:

You could make a frame with plastic sprew and then fill it with something
or cover the gap with plasticard or box set card.
Or you could search for a special cardboard and cut bases out of it.
That’s what I normally do.