[Archive] Deathshrieker and Destroyer (better pics)

tvandyke:

I painted up a couple of Deathshriekers.  There’s also a better pic of my Destroyer.

Skink:

Wow! Your painting style is absolutely superb! Much improved since the times of Dwarfs of Chaos!!! The only thing I’d add is a base under the war machines (just to give the minis some more carachter). The verdigris is the thing that came to my attention first and maybe is a bit too accentuated but over all well executed.

Regarding the Destroyer can you tell

1) how did you sculpted the flames
2) which tool you used to carve the skin

tvandyke:

Wow! Your painting style is absolutely superb! Much improved since the times of Dwarfs of Chaos!!! The only thing I'd add is a base under the war machines (just to give the minis some more carachter). The verdigris is the thing that came to my attention first and maybe is a bit too accentuated but over all well executed.

Regarding the Destroyer can you tell

1) how did you sculpted the flames
2) which tool you used to carve the skin

Skink
The War Machines will have the same base as the Destroyer at some point. The Verdigris is still something I'm experimenting with. I've been playing with Verdigris and weathering powders. In person, it doesn't look quite as bright. The flames were tough. I think I re-sculpted them 3 different times. I eventually found a pretty cool technique I read about online, where you use a sculpting tool to pull each flame up to get a general shape, let it cure for about 20 minutes, then take some needle nose pliers and grab the top of the flame and pull/twist the green stuff in a quick tug. Works pretty well. I did the flames in layers as well (sculpted the first layer, let it cure, then add a second layer on each side). The skin was carved with a dremel tool with a small bit (similar to an engraving bit).

tjub:

Nice! :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skink:

I think I know the technique you are talking about, it’s the one explained in “flaming high elves” blog isn’t it?

Da Crusha:

very cool looking! I cant wait to see your whole army at saws. my army sadly is not completely painted or converted like I wanted.

Admiral:

Stunning work there!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I like what I’m seeing!

Grimbold Blackhammer

ryanamandaanna:

Great Work!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

tvandyke:

very cool looking! I cant wait to see your whole army at saws. my army sadly is not completely painted or converted like I wanted.

Da Crusha
Mine's not done either. I only have 40 big hat warriors and I'm taking two units of 24 Infernal Guard to SAWS, so I'm using some Blunderbuss to fill out the back rank. I have 60 new FW Infernal Guard waiting in the wings (along with all the characters) to get painted. I'm going to try to have them done by the QCR (June 30th). That gives me 2 months. Not sure I can get them done. I still have an Iron Daemon to paint as well. In the mean time I'll just use my big hat army and replace as I go. At some point I'm going to have two complete Chaos Dwarf Armies. I wonder if I should sell the big hat army or keep it. It's over 300 models strong.

tvandyke:

I think I know the technique you are talking about, it's the one explained in "flaming high elves" blog isn't it?

Skink
That one is excellent. I used those techniques. However, I think I read about the needle nose pliers trick somewhere else.

Skink:

Can you post the link to the tutorial?

tvandyke:

Can you post the link to the tutorial?

Skink
I'm trying to find it. I found this:

http://tauonline.org/index.php?content=browse&cat=paint_tut&article=111

However, the pictures aren't coming up.

Loki:

Some very nice paint jobs you have done on these models , cant wait to see more :slight_smile:

Karring:

I love you used the FW bale taurus to your destroyer. In fact, it has not come with rider so…

Ah! And an amazing painting, man ^^

Grimstonefire:

Excellant work and that HE sculpting link is very useful as well. I’ve been wondering how best to go about sculpting decent flames.

Skink:

Thanks Tvandyke! Both these tutorials are very interesting, I reckon that the one you posted is the easiest to use.

Back to your blog, what’s next? Infantry?

brotsorrow:

wow, great skills. I truly thought these were from the FW web site till i remembered the DS isn’t painted on their website. Again, congrats, and thanks to all the guys posting links to flames

Kronosv13:

All looks great, the crew in particular are very striking, never seen chaos dwarve sin that colour, but I have to say it does suit them.

Willmark:

Well done on the engine itself, it looks very life-like “real”.