[Archive] Developing a realm... in the empyrean!?

TwilightCo:

The Warp sometimes bleeds through into real-space through rifts in the fabric of reality. These "warp storms" produce things like the Eye of Terror in the 40K Universe.

Thommy H
Meh-heh-heh,

Thanks for the segue Thommy.  When that incursion of chaos came down and changed the dwarfs into CDs who is to say that is was not akin to (but not in fact) a warp storm. Chaos appears to have a tidal effect on the warhammer world, an as we all know, high tide leaves all kinds of garbage on the beach. :hashut  Perhaps it did lock them off from the rest of the works for a time as Grim was getting at?

Grimstonefire:

The best solution here is I think as Thommy suggests.  I will dwell on it some more and (probably) update my pdf’s.

Discussing something so abstract from what is currently accepted would not be easy, but then it wasn’t the first time around when I did the bulk of my fluff (which coincidently I didn’t do on HoH either).  There’s a lot of small changes I would need to make all over the pdfs as I have it sorted pretty much okay at the moment (though my origins story never sat too well imo).  It will be interesting to see how I can alter my already radical background.

If anyone is interested I will be putting down my WIP ideas here:

http://templeofzharr.ipbfree.com/index.php

Thommy H:

I think it’s exactly the same as a warp storm, isn’t it? The fabric of reality was rent (by the collapsing gate), the universes bled together. That’s what you’d call a warp storm in 40K. I think the thing with the Warhammer world is that there’s always that warp rift at the pole of the planet, with the magical energies within ebbing and flowing constantly. It’s the equivalent of living on the edge of the Eye of Terror in 40K (so think Cadia).

snowblizz:

I think it's exactly the same as a warp storm, isn't it? The fabric of reality was rent (by the collapsing gate), the universes bled together. That's what you'd call a warp storm in 40K. I think the thing with the Warhammer world is that there's always that warp rift at the pole of the planet, with the magical energies within ebbing and flowing constantly. It's the equivalent of living on the edge of the Eye of Terror in 40K (so think Cadia).

Thommy H
Indeed. What the Warhammer world has however is also a "drain", so there's a collapsed Warpgate on the north pole ("tap") , and southpole, and then a great big magical "drain" in the middle of Ulthuan. So magic flows from the poles to Ulthuan.

Cadia however lies outside the EoT and is actually protected against the Warp. It has these monoliths that supposedly is becalming the Warp keeping open a passage between the Warp-saturated space and realspace.

TwilightCo:

I think it's exactly the same as a warp storm, isn't it? The fabric of reality was rent (by the collapsing gate), the universes bled together. That's what you'd call a warp storm in 40K. I think the thing with the Warhammer world is that there's always that warp rift at the pole of the planet, with the magical energies within ebbing and flowing constantly. It's the equivalent of living on the edge of the Eye of Terror in 40K (so think Cadia).

Thommy H
Indeed. What the Warhammer world has however is also a "drain", so there's a collapsed Warpgate on the north pole ("tap") , and southpole, and then a great big magical "drain" in the middle of Ulthuan. So magic flows from the poles to Ulthuan.

Cadia however lies outside the EoT and is actually protected against the Warp. It has these monoliths that supposedly is becalming the Warp keeping open a passage between the Warp-saturated space and realspace.

snowblizz
Right, more of a drain that a full blown warp storm. So would that be more plausible? I believe so, however I only dabble in such matters. :cheers

Berjhoman:

Okay, I just had to register for this… Some of you know might know me as Von Breden over at Warhammer-Empire.

I think it’s an awesome idea. I read your other background stuff and I came up with this:

As the armies of Archaon grew larger and larger, the power of their gods grew, too. With every soldier added to the ranks the arcane energy they are made of was reinforced. Even before the northern threat was noticed by the Empire and its allies, the Dawi Zharr knew of it, for their dark mission was more difficult every day to fulfill. Furthermore, the power of their sorcerer-priests diminished. After many prayers led by Lord Astragoth himself, Hashut himself appeared. He told his chosen people of the daemonic armies at the borders of his realm in the warp, for the Great Four had decided it was the time to wipe him out once and for all. He and his own daemons - for the rising of the Brotherhoods of Hashut had given birth to powerful daemon princes as well as many lesser daemons - waged war against these intruders, but as time passed - which it does, even in the warp - it became more and more clear they could not hope to win, especially since Hashut himself could not use all his powers against them. He had to channel energy to his priests, and keep the gateway shut on top of that! Hashut thus ordered his people to send great contingents of their finest warriors to reinforce his armies in the empyrean. He gifted the Arcane Engineers with the knowledge required for creating terrible devices that could summon these warriors back, albeit temporarily. Great pieces of the city were sent to the empyrean realm, too, in order to allow training, production et cetera to continue even there.

What do you think?

Grimstonefire:

That is very well thought out Berjhoman, thanks for joining.  A first post worthy of a few slaves.

So the army that went into the realm of chaos, roughly how many are we talking about?  Say a few thousand etc.  The concept would have to be worked a little to make the area to be defended very easy to defend, so that the numbers involved could do a good job.

The way daemons are shaped is an interesting point, whether it is only because of the imaginations of mortals or whether the god has a big impact.  Either way a daemon or greater daemon born out of the imagination of CD (who have delved deeply into daemon lore) would be a really curious concept.

In my fluff something I have only briefly touched on is the idea that the spirits of dead CD are in the realm of chaos fighting daemons as well. I have done an updated version in the last couple of days, it’s on the feedback forum instead of the site in my sig.

aesineir:

im pretty sure this has happened before- in 40k

some time ago i read a black library book called dark mechanicus where the dark mechanicus finds an stc for a castigator class titan, the techpriests then transport the whole planet ruled by the dark mechanicus into the warp and then it comes back later- with a fully armed daemonicaly warped castigator (incidentaly the largest imperial titan ever) ad a few titan legions- the architectuire there is also a fusion of flesh and metal.

just pointin out that this sort of thing is very possible. so i think it very possible that chaos dwarfs could have built an empire in the warp. hope i was of help.

Grimstonefire:

Woah… A whole planet??? That takes some beating. I only imagined a few cities. Makes it seem a whole lot more possible, especially considering the power of magic in warhammer (moving continents etc).