[Archive] Dino's log of commission and ebay mini's

Dino:

I’m back with a quick but really good up date. I almost have the test miniature finished. All I have to do is go buy some Fortress Grey tonight and it’ll be finished and ready to impress my client. Load of cash here I come. Anyway enough of my rantings, here are some pics.

So what do you guys think so far?

Hashut’s Blessing:

As for the P.S., I knew that, just wanted to point it out :wink:

The yellow does look better. It looks more realistic and as though he’s worn it at least a few times. I love that green! It’s brilliant to hear the client likes it so far. Lucky sod, being able to make money from fun things :stuck_out_tongue:

Dino:

I am lucky. Funny thing is that my client says he’s gonna make me sick of painting his AVerlanders becouse I said to him I might have to paint up a unit of Averlanders for my army. I really wish him good luck in tring.

Dino:

I have returned with good news. Today I recieved the first of my clients stuff. It includes the following.

A battle wizard

25 swordsmen

9 halbediers

5 archers

and 5 outriders( which as you can see i’ve already started)

My hats of to this guy for using magnetic movement trays.

Any one last thing the client asked was for me to paint a checker pattern on the test miniatures sheild(it’s an Averland thing i guess).

I hope he likes it.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Very well done and it’s looking good! How long do you estimate it will take to complete all of that stuff? Do the outriders legs not fit onto the horses properly?

Obviously, it depends upon your client’s taste, but if it were to have the checked pattern on it, I think it’d look better to have another check pattern on the top right as well. Will this be necessary across the whole army?

Dino:

Thx, Hashut’s Blessing. I think I could do all this in two in and a half weeks(give or take a few days). And the reason they look like that is actually the client had put pins so that either they’d fit better on their mounts when glued or to remove them of the horses when he was transporting them. And the client only told me to paint it in that one area(just to see if I could do that).

Well I haven’t heard anything from my client so i’m not sure weather to be worried or not.

Anyway more work has commenced on the outriders so here’s an updated pic.

Looking good I think. I hope to finish them up real soon so I can start working on the archers, halbediers, and the wizard.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Not a problem. Two and a half weeks isn’t too bad :stuck_out_tongue: Ah, at least they fit. Was a little worried he’d blame you for it then :smiley: You could always ask the client, but, as I said, it was a personal preference after seeing it with the checkered pattern.

Is it not possible for you to contact him? (If not, this may be something to keep in mind for future jobs.)

Looking lovely. I especially love the trimming on the thigh plates. Keep it up :wink:

Dino:

Thx. And actually he goes to another forum I post at so he should be able to contact me. I do remember him saying he was kinda busy most of the time so it could be he hasn’t had a chance to see them yet.

Hashut’s Blessing:

You’re welcome. That’s always handy, but for future use, maybe ask for their e-mail or even phone number (if they’re in the same country) for when you need to make updates or ask questions etc.

Dino:

I’ll do that next time.

Anyway i’m back and with finished Outriders.

All around i’m rather pleased with them and i’m really hopping my client is to.

Next up are 9 halbediers, 5 archers, and a wizard.

Dino:

Nothing on the outriders? Tough crowd.

Okay, i’m sorry I haven’t updated this as much as I usually do but i’ve had a few things this past week(one of them being that my laptop broke and couldn’t access the internet for a few days) but now I’m back with some more work.

Halbediers

Hashut’s Blessing:

The Outriders look brilliant. Sorry, my laptop also broke (to the point it wouldn;t turn on) then i went to Ireland, then it took a while for me to fix my laptop again.

Halberdiers look flipping brilliant. One question: what about basing?

Archers look nice. I like the choice for brass/copper studded leather instead of steel/cut-iron…

Wizard looks nice, but it might stand out a little too much. If you can add a tiny amount of yellow somewhere… I DO mean tiny as otherwise it would spoil it. Otherwise, make sure his basing can be seen… He definitely stands out and looks good, but I’m not sure if he ties in at all…

Beautiful work, get some more done :wink:

Dino:

Thx Hashut’s Blessing. And to answer your question about the basing my client told me not to base them as he has his own basing be wants to do himself.

al-hashut:

Well, it all looks very well done, especially the yellow. However, echoing the comments of HB himself, the Wizard could use a little something extra. The danger with white (mainly with his staff) is that even if done well, it can appear to be half finished due to the colour’s popularity as a primer.

Watching with interest

Hashut’s Blessing:

I mean it all :smiley: I thought that might have been the case. Any idea what sort of basing the client plans? Will you add a splodge of yellow to the wizard?

Dino:

@al-hashut: Thx. And actually I was thinking of making the two tailed comet acpletely gold and adding a snake like design on the back of the robes.

@Hashut’s Blessing: I’m not to sure myself but I think it’s just simple old school basing or he’ll have someone else do it for him. I’ll think on yellow first I have an area or two to clean up and a job interview tommorrow.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ah, I didn’t realise he wasn’t yet finished. Which says something about how well you paint :stuck_out_tongue: Good luck with the interview!

wallacer:

I like the wizard’s book. Looks very realistic.

His hat would look better on a Chaos Dwarf though :wink:

Dino:

Here’s a special birthday post to show how far the swordsmen are at the moment.

I think they’re looking real good so far and will hopefully get them done before the weekend.

@Hashut’s Blessing: True enough. But unfortunetly the luck wasn’t with me at all.

@wallcer: Thx and now that you mention it keep an eye on my chaos dwarf log in the future.

Kera foehunter:

So what yellows do you use and do you use white primer when painting light colors??