[Archive] Do you like Black Orcs?

metro_gnome:

so are Big 'Uns at 3 points cheaper per model…

Willmark:

Hmm may have to rethink my approach towards getting Black Orcs. I want to get a orc unit of infantry in the army, but I’m not a big fan (of the look) of teh current range. I do however like the look of the classic Big-Un’s fromn the 4th edition days.

All metal thou… $3.75 each… och!

Border Reiver:

My son’s nicked most of my orc models, but not the Black Orcs.

On a fluff note, I have a problem with putting champions/Bosses into the units - wouldn’t we be killing off the larger slaves who can fight really well?

Willmark:

Yes, but they still are only slaves, hence that is their lot I life. And if by some miracle they should live so much the better.

Undeadninjas:

a large quantity of slaves has to have a slave master. And they respond better to one of their own who’s closer with both their masters and the rest of the slaves than they would to a chaos dwarf in the lead. Without a slave master they should squabble as much as the regular orcs do.

I don’t know whether to take Black Orcs or not… I think what I should do is use as many slaves as I have on the site. so far that makes 3… and I have an old black orc, a regular orc, and a slayer bound by rope.

I’m thinking of coming up with a hodge podge unit of 20mm guys to use for goblins. However well it does, it’ll be pretty cool to paint a unit with about one of everything.

Willmark:

It might be cool to paint up a mixed unit of slaves and have them “count as” for goblins/hobgoblins.

Canix:

I like the minis but also love using my pre slotta “perry” citadel orcs which i use as 20-25 biguns they rock, i also have 15 arrer boyz and 30 orcs:hat

I would get them and use as biguns if i were you:o

Willmark:

Just realized where i recognized the title of this thread from:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes

Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.

Little Girl: Oh, that’s very nice of you, thank you.

Young Boy with Coffee: Cream?

Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

Great movie, funny line.

Colzey:

I have recently been running 2 units of standard orcs with LA, S, and chopper w/full cmd. They were going great till animosity screwed my plans over at very crucial times in a few games. So i exchanged them for a unit of Blorcs. For 14pts you have the option to turtle up for a 3+ save w/S5 choppas, 2 x S5 attacks each or S6 still with a 5+ save. Compared to Big’uns, where after you spend the pts for a shield and 2HW, you are paying 2pts to have HA, GW and not suffer from animosity. BARGAIN if you ask me! Just my 2c.

Cheers,

MAtty :slight_smile:

metro_gnome:

when was the last time you bought add HW AND GW for any model?

AttT was the stupidest rule ever…

Colzey:

AttT is all about flexibility. It might be fine for those that design a list specifically for each time they play a different opponent and only want/need a HW, but when you facing from high armour save infantry/knights through to horde infantry you wish you had the flexibility. As stated, no animosity is worth the extra pts.

As for the last time I bought add HW and GW for models??? Besides characters and the free upgrade for BC and the lost sneeky gits, only once with the warriors. Though as we know they suck with GW’s as the get out charged and are only S5 for 11pts a model. Though with other races/armies I have heaps of times to great effect. Anyways, just my opinion.

Cheers,

metro_gnome:

i meant on the same model… have you EVER bough add HWs and GWs on the same model… EVER?

flexibility? no sir its a nerf… they should be a point cheaper and come with GWs alone…

or better yet… come with neither and let you pick what you want…

wanna go S5 hits withe 3+ save? 12 points…

Blorcs lost Quell Animosity, The infamous S7 Champ, and the ability to use magic banners in a CD list…

and for these lovely losses they got a price increase and weapons they can use half of the time…

and still dont come with a friggin shield…

Colzey:

Off the top of my head i can’t recall ANY units that allow you to take both a GW and add HW, so no, I havn’t…

I agree that they have lost alot since last ed. But that’s not the point as this is 7th ed. and they are still a better option than Big’uns IMHO.

Cheers,

Willmark:

Why on earth would someone take both? That’s brain dead stupid. One or the other.

gIL^:

black orcs dont fill in any role that chaos dwarfs cant but they are very powerful and i take them every game

Willmark:

black orcs dont fill in any role that chaos dwarfs cant but they are very powerful and i take them every game

gIL^
Don't know about that. The new 'armed to da teef rule makes them a pretty good but in terms of points. Black orcs area nice Special Option simply because the rest of the Special options suck so bad. Plus if your opponent has experienced Black Orcs before he might lob a lot of stuff their way rather then at other units...

Uzkul Werit:

The thing is, Black Orcs don’t warrant all that shooting attention. Yes they’ll shread through most basic infantry but so will any elite unit. Black Orcs are just elite though comapred to their counterparts in other armies.

Willmark:

Right and against some opponents you can exploit this. While they are hurling everything they got at the black orcs, the rest of the army can be marching across the army and cleaning up. Use them as a decoy in otherwords.

Warlord:

Right and against some opponents you can exploit this. While they are hurling everything they got at the black orcs, the rest of the army can be marching across the army and cleaning up. Use them as a decoy in otherwords.

Willmark
Expensive decoy at 14 pts per model.

I would prefer them shooting at the Dwarves (whats more, the Black Orcs are faster than the Dwarves, so I would prefer more models for the extra speed.

The points cost of them is too high for them to be taken on a frequent basis. Just because they are a good special choice compared to the others, does not mean they are a good choice.

Still they are flavoursome, and belong as part of the Chaos Dwarf list (although I doubt GW will allow it if they release CD as an army)

Kera foehunter:

well they did a great job on the new 20 pack lots of cool stuff