[Archive] do you like rap

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

i hate rap and disco music so does any one else if you do why it’s horrible

Father Grumpmas:

I had respect for a lot of the early rap: it was quite political and appealed to my punk rock vibe at the time. I was a big fan of the Timezone project with Johnny Rotten and Afrika Bambaataa and “Crack killed Applejack” by General Kane is still one of my favourite songs.

Both punk and rap/hip hip are pretty much debased commerical forms of what they used be. I’m not sure which is worse: posturing fools in gold chains or whiney suburban nerds going all emo on me.

There - rant off my chest :o

Hashut’s Blessing:

I like rap, but only if it is done well. Which, it VERY rarely is, to be honest. As for disco music, I like actual disco music, but it’s old skool then. Current disco music (what I refer to as club music), IMO usually sucks. Not to say that it isn’t catchy at times.

Kera foehunter:

Are you talking east cost or west coast rap or old school or new school rap

well if you can dance one form of music is about the same as the rest disco is great dancing music

i love to dance!!!

yes i expect girls like dance but my favourite rap is gorrilaz but even they don’t do alot of it

Grish:

What do you mean by ‘disco’; the only disco I know is John Travolta style. Do you mean rave music?

Matthias:

I had respect for a lot of the early rap: it was quite political and appealed to my punk rock vibe at the time. I was a big fan of the Timezone project with Johnny Rotten and Afrika Bambaataa and "Crack killed Applejack" by General Kane is still one of my favourite songs.

Both punk and rap/hip hip are pretty much debased commerical forms of what they used be. I'm not sure which is worse: posturing fools in gold chains or whiney suburban nerds going all emo on me.

There - rant off my chest :o

Father Grumpmas
This pretty much mirrors my sentiment towards rap. Except I wasn't alive at the time.

Speaking of emo, the evolution of the term from the mid-80's to now is something like watching a tragedy.

Razzick_Khan:

I will confess yeah, I like rap. Nothing mainstream for probably the past ten or more years though. Mainstream rap really started to dive after the whole “gangster era”. Now you have crap like crunk and all that garbage.

Some years back my brother turned me on to some underground hip-hop that is pretty sweet. It takes some sifting to find whats worth it, but what you find can be pretty good. Guys like Aesop Rock, El-P, and Sage Francis kick ass. My favorite hometown groups include Atmosphere, Brother Ali, and Eyedea and Abilities. I doubt anyone outside the states would have heard of these guys, but anyone curious can find some of their stuff on the internet.

@Godbob: If you like some of the Gorillaz stuff you should check out Del tha Funkee Homosapien. He did two songs with them, Clint Eastwood and Rock the House.

Also, Beastie Boys can be pretty funny, even if you arent singing along with drunk friends.

no the sort of techno dance sort of thing and ganster rap sorry it wasn’t clearer

Willmark:

Not so much on either rap or disco, blagh is about all I can say. there is some rap that is ok, disco/club music… no

Thommy H:

Disco and techno being lumped into the same category is giving me a brain aneurysm.

wallacer:

Rap and Disco per se do not bother me.  What bothers me is the fact that they are broadcast on radio and television.

Rap and Disco are like sado-masochism - if you’re into that kind of thing fine, but at least have the common decency to do it in private.

Thommy H:

I’m consistently amazed by people who make sweeping statements about musical genres. How can you hate all rap? Have you heard every rap song ever made? And is it certain aspects of rap songs that people dislike? If so, how do you deal with cross-genre songs (collaborations between rappers and rock groups for example) or even cross-genre bands (Gorillaz have already been mentioned - what about Rage Against The Machine?)?

In my experience, most people who voice opinions like these are really just riling against the subculture associated with the given genre rather than the actual music itself. After all, most popular music is really the same basic art form when you get down to it - there isn’t enough ground, musically, between something by Queen and something by OutKast to result in this kind of vitriol, I don’t think.

wallacer:

I assure you there is no conspiracy involved against any sub-culture.

I simply do not like rap music. The main reason for this is that I find it banal and repetitive and seemingly more interested in promoting sports cars and jewellery rather than any real innovation in music.

The only rap songs I have ever heard that I came even close to liking were Grand Master Flash tunes and even then I wouldn’t want to listen to them too often.

This in much the same reason that I dislike Reggae and a lot of modern pop music (although a lot of older pop and rock music can no doubt be criticised for the same reasons).

As you astutely observe I have indeed not heard every Rap song ever made (kudos to you), however if I hear one I like then rest assured that you will be the first to know (well, the second if you count me).

And to answer your question, no I do not like Rage against the Machine or Gorillaz. Rage against the Machine annoy me because the sheer hypocricy of a band railing against the free market while earning millions in record sales is, frankly, nauseating.

Thommy H:

Tom Morello sez:

“When you live in a capitalistic society, the currency of the dissemination of information goes through capitalistic channels. Would Noam Chomsky object to his works being sold at Barnes & Noble? No, because that’s where people buy their books. We’re not interested in preaching to just the converted. It’s great to play abandoned squats run by anarchists, but it’s also great to be able to reach people with a revolutionary message, people from Granada Hills to Stuttgart.”
Not that I agree, but he’s obviously thought about it. I don’t agree with Rage’s message in anything but a broad sense, but I sure like the music.

Kera foehunter:

Nooooooo don’t say reggae wallacer. That’s one of the best music out there… free the mind and the body will follow. Heymon

Willmark:

I'm consistently amazed by people who make sweeping statements about musical genres. How can you hate all rap?

Thommy H
Who said anything about hating rap?

Theory_Man:

O I do love music threads and peoples’ opinions on music.

I notice that people tend to have strong opinions about “music” and feel the need to express them.

Matthias:

Disco and techno being lumped into the same category is giving me a brain aneurysm.

Thommy H
I can't quite comprehend how that works either.. Godbob, could you elaborate, perhaps with examples? They're pretty distinctly different genres.

Thommy H:

Who said anything about hating rap?

Willmark
Godbob, in the first post of this thread.