[Archive] Draconis's Army - Warning Lots of Photos, Unstripped and unsightly painted Models

Draconis:

Well, been promising this a while now. So here we go.

Keep in mind some things. If you don’t see a paint job like the Chaos Dwarf Warrior units…it isn’t my painting. I got alot of these minis pre-painted and to be honest, the paint jobs on them were Horrible. When I left the Hobby I had only managed to 3/4ths finish the unit of warriors and 1 Chaos Dwarf Hero as well as some of the cannon portion of my 1st Earthshaker.

Not all of the models are pictured here because space is limited where I have my minis, and time didn’t allow me to set everything up before crashing to prep for work in the morning. (I wake up at 5 am every day) I didn’t attach the backbanners to the heros because I am still debating whether or not I desire to. Regardless, everything will be put to use one way or another.

Once I have room and time, I will post pictures of the entire army. Please note, I have ALOT of painting to do. And I mean ALOT of painting. So please, be merciful in your critique if there be any.

My Newest of the Earthshaker Cannon Family, bringing me up to 4

Plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors!!! 33 of em!!!

Some of my Warmachines: Note the Paint job on the Earthshaker Cannon. That is my paint job. The base coat on the Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower is also mine, it’s been inked for depth of the wood grain. [Not pictured: 2 Earthshaker Cannons and 1 Chaos Dwarf Deathrocket]

11 of my Bull Centaurs: Total amount (Some unassembled) 21

Overview Shot: 64 Hobgoblins on Foot, 1 Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf, 20 Hobgoblin Archers, 24 Sneaky Gits. [Not Pictured. 20 More Hobgoblin Archers, 21 more Sneaky Gits. Glued them on their bases last night, just got em from GW on Monday Evening. And 19 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders. I swear I had 20…but one seems to have buggered off somehow. Grrr…oh well, at least I can order 1 from GW to bring it up to the total I need for 20. Two units of 10]

Chaos Dwarf Heros: Note the Center model. That is MY paint job on the hero, and he is still as of yet unfinished. That model is Bhael’Zharon Trin’Tharksis, my Chaos Dwarf Lord and Daemon Slaver. Unfortunatley, none of the pictures I took do the model any justice. I am very proud of the paint job I did on him thus far. [Not Pictured: Sorceror Lord on Lammasu and Lord on Great Taurus]

And Finally, a few shots of my Chaos Dwarf warriors and the Blunderbusses, each unit having full commands. These were painted by me. You can see the Blunderbusses are an ‘IN PROGRESS’ Work. I am thinking of painting their beards a light brown or may just paint them black, not sure yet. The thing that has me pondering with the blunderbusses right now though, is the desire to see how their helmets will turn out with a bronzed inked base coat, and then do up the gold trim, instead of the dark black and gold trim on the regular warriors. I want to distinguish the units somehow…so this is something that I am experimenting with.

The Final pic I decided to throw in there because I felt the shadows helped illustrate the paint job fairly well that I did on my Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures, and I hope to have the entire army up soon if I can get it all pictured. Eventually, I’ll have everything painted and based. Then I can Rain pain upon all who would cross the Dark Father.

Draconis:

Note: I’ll just use this thread and turn it into my Progress Blog. Tonight I’m gonna prime up a few sneaky gits and then head over to the GW shop and use their paint bar to paint the minis up as money is tight and I cannot afford paints right now.

Hope the pictures are enjoyed, and I look forward to constructive criticism and comments.

Thommy H:

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Your painted figures look slightly unfinished to my eyes - you said some of them are WIP, but I can’t tell from the pictures whether you’ve painted a lot of highlights over a dark undercoat or if you’ve insufficiently covered a light one.

Closer, clearer pics would definatley help if you want some constructive criticism.

Draconis:

Yeah, you are correct Thommy H. The Chaos Dwarf Warriors in the sort of “Iron Warrior” theme there are still WIP. Basically I painted alot of highlights over a dark undercoats and seperate layers of ink for each sufficient job.

For example the beards. Black base coat from the primer, I used a grey, black inked, drybrushed white, inked, drybrushed a lighter white…and so on. Each stage was a progression. And yeah, they still need to be finished. Things like black inking the hats and the gold and then dry brushing highlights onto the various areas etc. Plus alot of their weapons are unfinished and just bronzed and inked.

I’ll try and get better pictures when I get home tonight. Take a pictures of a few of the models in a better light etc so that everyone can get a better idea of the paint scheme and paint jobs.

Thommy H:

You inked at each stage? May I ask why? It sounds like you trebled your workload by inking and black lining every layer.

Pyro Stick:

I ink a lot as well. But i dont use as much ink as you do. It makes everything look to shiny.

Dracomancer:

Hmm, quite a lot of brightness there, may I reccomend that you take one model (preferable a foot soldier that you don’t really care about) and spray him with purity seal, that SHOULD help tone down the colours and prevent the colours from contrasting too wildly, good luck with the rest of the stuff :hat off.

Draconis:

Close to it, not exactly, but yeah. But in all honesty it didn’t effect much of the workload. I was doing the models assembly line style. Each succesive progression down a line very quick. So 5 models at a time until they were finished at a point I felt comfortable, and then I did 5 more.

Basically I had a small dropper that I used to pull the inks and dilute them in a small tray for paints, I would base coat all the models, then pick up the first, ink them quickly, let dry, go back to the first, do a base coat drybrush of the ‘main color’, then another lighter black inking, then highlighting with another drybrush with the main color, and then I would highlight that by drybrushing a lighter color on top of that.

Very basic, and it sounds like alot, but it went really quickly compared to the base coats. The inking was one of the fastest stages. And it provided alot of depth in the faces and beards very nicely.

And yeah Dracomancer, some of them are unfortunatley very painfully bright. I need to black ink the gold on the helms and skirts, that will tone down the brightness, and ink some of the brighter beards where I painted too much white on them by accident. Please keep the comments up though. :slight_smile:

Also, do you guys like the color scheme? I am thinking of taking the blunderbusses and giving them a bronzed backdrop for their big hats, and then a gold or some other color. I’d like to hear peoples thoughts.

Thommy H:

Basically I had a small dropper that I used to pull the inks and dilute them in a small tray for paints, I would base coat all the models, then pick up the first, ink them quickly, let dry, go back to the first, do a base coat drybrush of the 'main color', then another lighter black inking, then highlighting with another drybrush with the main color, and then I would highlight that by drybrushing a lighter color on top of that.
It sounds like you're trying to make every layer look 'finished' to me. I mostly only 'ink' (actually watered down paint in my case, since inks always come out looking too shiny) right at the end to bring all the highlights together.

I'd be interested to see a close-up picture to see what effect all those succesive layers of inking has.

Draconis:

Some updates:

First, better pictures of the normal Chaos Dwarf Warriors. I apoligize for how shiny even these appear, but the flash is REALLY clashing with the gold and the white of their beards. It truly isn’t helping matters that’s for sure. But I tried to get better pictures, so here they are.

And lastly, the ‘template’ model for my hobgoblin archers. Time spent on him thus far, 2 hours total. Still needs some work, but he looks “decent” to me. He’s not finished yet, but close.

A note, once again the flash really doesn’t help me here. The colors are actually darker to the naked human eye then they appear here in the pictures due to the flash.

Apoligies about how “Shiny” the models appear to be. Again, that’s the light from the flash bouncing off of the gold. I’ll try and have the completed hobgoblin up tommorrow and maybe a sneaky git.

Cheers.

Draconis

Thommy H:

I can’t tell if you’ve painted that hobgoblin in metallics or if it’s a combination or inks/camera flash. If the latter then I think you might want to start using watered down paint instead of actual inks because they’re looking really shiny and, unless you’re painting models in armour, that’s now what you want.

On the other hand, now I can see your figures up close they look a lot better than in the group shots - especially the Chaos Dwarfs. If it were me, I’d give them darker beards, but your choice of colour scheme is as valid as any other.

Draconis:

I’m really starting to dislike the camera as to how it takes pictures under low light with that flash. I may have to take the camera with me to the Games Workshop store and take pictures there from now on, as the lighting conditions there are far more ideal.

Basically, the hobgoblin was done in only one metallic. Gold. I did a basecoat of Burnished gold, inked him with a watered down black ink, let it dry, and then drybrushed a few areas with shining gold. The effect was fantastic. He looks EXTREMELY sooty in appearance as if he has been drug through the ashen wastes and the entire tone to the figure is very dark and sooty in general. I love it.

If you expand the first picture, you can get a better idea of the overall darkened tone to it. To basically describe it, the model in person is not very bright. If anything, I’d consider it very “Hushed” as it were in paint scheme. Dark overall. There’s almost 0 Brightness to it. I think I am going to continue to paint all of my hobgoblin archers like this, as it makes them look extremely dirty and abused and dragged through the ashen wastes.

But yeah, basically the flash is killing the actual color of the models due to the metallics. LOTS O Fun. ~Sighs~

Thommy H:

Basically, the hobgoblin was done in only one metallic. Gold. I did a basecoat of Burnished gold, inked him with a watered down black ink, let it dry, and then drybrushed a few areas with shining gold. The effect was fantastic. He looks EXTREMELY sooty in appearance as if he has been drug through the ashen wastes and the entire tone to the figure is very dark and sooty in general. I love it.
Oh okay - so it is a metallic. I'm really trying to avoid trying to sound too critical here, but why did you paint his clothes gold? It seems an unusual choice. The way you've painted it is good (now that I know I am looking at metallics) but I'm just curious at the reasoning behind the decision.

As for the flash issue, can you not just turn it off? Flashes almost always ruin close-up shots like these (my camera's super-macro setting doesn't even have an option to be used with the flash for this very reason) and getting some good lighting is a muc better idea. Maybe take the photos near an open window?

Draconis:

Oh okay - so it is a metallic. I'm really trying to avoid trying to sound too critical here, but why did you paint his clothes gold? It seems an unusual choice. The way you've painted it is good (now that I know I am looking at metallics) but I'm just curious at the reasoning behind the decision.

As for the flash issue, can you not just turn it off? Flashes almost always ruin close-up shots like these (my camera's super-macro setting doesn't even have an option to be used with the flash for this very reason) and getting some good lighting is a muc better idea. Maybe take the photos near an open window?

Thommy H
Nah, no worries, feel free to sound as critical as you like! If it improves things for my paint jobs, I'll gladly take critique!!!

I painted his clothes gold because of the theme of the army. The general is a bit rich. He goes out specifically and hunts down Demons and solely demons to take back to the forges in Zharr Naggrund. His clan has forged special manacles that keep daemons from Vanishing into the Warp once defeated. So he takes out his veteran warriors, and his hobgoblins, and wanders the wastes hunting demons.

He still treats the hobgoblins like crap, but compared to the others in Zharr Naggrund, they ARE treated better, and in general wartime tactics, if you have a leader that will stand up for you, your troops will go to hell and back for you.

That and it helps tie the army together color wise. :) Besides, the gold is dirtied up massively as to how they are treated...so it works well. :)

Vodevil:

I’m totally digging that pimped out color scheme man, very original. I like that you’re trying something different rather than the norm, that is something to be proud of!

Draconis:

I'm totally digging that pimped out color scheme man, very original. I like that you're trying something different rather than the norm, that is something to be proud of!

Vodevil
Thanks man. :hat off

I Appreciate it. I really like the look that I've given my Chaos Dwarfs. I cannot wait to see what they will look like when they are on lava bases.

catbarf:

as if he has been drug through the ashen wastes

Draconis
Oh? He was taken through the ashen wastes while being constantly pumped full of drugs?

Sorry, just a pet peeve. 'Dragged' would be the correct word here.

Very nice job on all the minis- the white beards complement the gold. The only thing I don't like is the hobbo- gold clothing always seems weird to me.

Xander:

Very nice! Love those old Great Weapon models. Hehe.

hal:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many hobgoblins!

Is there any plastic in your army?

torn:

im loving the colour scheme too, although i also think gold might be a bit strong for cloth despite the fact i know you can get gold cloth. the chaos dwarfs themselves look really great. cant wait to see the whole lot because some of that pre-painted stuff you got is awful lol.