[Archive] Dreadball **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

cornixt:

Does anyone play Dreadzone

gIL^:

I kinda got burnt out from mantic tidal wave of games i havnt done any kickstarters with them for a long time, I feel a company that kickstarts every thing they do seems disingenuous.

Ill stick with bloodbowl thanks :smiley: You tried the videogame>?

JMR:

You mean Dreadball I think :slight_smile: There’s also Deadzone, but that’s a sci-fi skirmish/board game coming out in December.

I have played neither Dreadball nor Blood Bowl, but I hear they’re really not that much alike at all. They’re both ball-games, but that’s pretty much where the similarities end.

I hear a lot of good things about Dreadball though.

gIL^:

Im sure there will be a Dreadzone to :smiley:

cornixt:

Dreadball, that’s it! I seemed to have merged the two game names. The models for it seem to be pretty much intended for the niche of fantasy-based football games that Blood Bowl created (teams of orcs, rats, humans, etc). BB is fun, but games tend to drag a bit and I wanted a simpler and quicker version to play against my kids. I saw the kickstarter for it, but it looked a bit meh and I wasn’t interested in the limited extras, and I don’t think I missed anything really - they didn’t get anything I am bothered about and not for any less money either.

I’ve done a bit more research, and it seems that non-Mantic websites are much more useful. The “Kick-off” box only has the very bare bones of the game and misses some crucial bits that have to be bought separately in the “Extra-time” box, while the bigger box has both plus a lot of extra bits for only an extra $5 above the combined cost. It’s a bit too pricey for me right now, so it looks like I’ll stick it on my to-buy list unless someone convinces me it is a bad game.

Da Crusha:

I have dreadball but sadly I haven’t played a single game of it yet. I bought the cheaper box set the one that’s around $50. After buying it I kind of regretted not just holding out for the more expensive set. My friend said that the cards are what really distinguishes it as its own game. Also the rules in the kickoff box keep kicking you by saying stuff like the rules for the referee are only available in the original box set. My friend has played several games of it and he says that you can complete a game in under an hour. He also says that there’s virtually no way to play defense as you only have six or so players on the pitch and essentially there are three "end zones ". The rules basically read like Bloodbowl but from what I understand the game plays very differently. He also says that teams that can dodge well are way better than teams that can bash because the rolls are much easier for the dodging team which seems to him to be a huge flaw in the game. I also know that there is FAQs and there is also Errata circulating as well. I have also heard that Mantic actually listens to the fans and their concerns and makes rule changes so that is nice.

Da Crusha:

Originally I only bought the box set to have the figures to add to my Bloodbowl collection but since the miniatures separately cost about the same as the box set I might as well get the rules and the game board with it

Da Crusha:

I believe the dreadball only has 14 turns in the entire game compared to Bloodbowl which has 32 turns.

The thing I hate the most about the models is the mold lines. This material has been the most difficult to clean as far as more lines are concerned. I would recommend using only a fine tip blade used in a cutting motion to remove the mold lines, avoid using a curved blade, avoid scraping at the mold line, also avoid attempting to file off the most lines, otherwise the material just balls up and refuses to leave a nice finish.

Sorry for the multiple posts, my cell phone won’t let me edit.

cornixt:

Thanks. I’ve found that Mantic have given out a basic set of the rulebook, so I think I will print out a board and try out a game using my current models, and hope that the basic ruleset is actually playable. Looks like it might just be missing a roster, but that isn’t hard to get. That should tide me over until I can shell out for the full box. I like the lack of measuring in the game, it’s one thing that annoyed me about BB.

Da Crusha:

That’s cool. If you are on Facebook you should join the Dread ball fanatics group, there is a fan made downloadable dreadball pitch that is absolutely beautiful. I think it’s called the Tesla dome. Many people have printed it out on a play mat and are using that as their pitch now. I also plan on printing it out.

cornixt:

A bit heavy on the black ink for me, I’m going with a white field with black lines for now. Seems that nearly all of the custom fields are black for some reason, I expected a few white and grey. Easy enough to flip the colours into a negative image though.